Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lennie - The Autobiography

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
of Lennie Lawrence.

Out on Sept 28 by Green Umbrella Publishing.

Comments

• Much as I love Curbs, I hope Lennie's is better than 'Valley of Dreams'
  • You reckon he will be doing a signing at the Superstore?

Sir Lenford of Lawrence should have a stand named after him ala Jimmy Seed.
  • could hardy be worse
  • That's one fpor the Christmas list, both Curbs and Keithies biography's were pretty dire,lets hope Lennie tells it how it was and pop's to the Valley ... maybe when Rovers play us.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]could hardy be worse

That's a bit strong - I thought the Mayor of Casterbridge was quite good.
  • it was far from the madding crowd though : - )
  • Good spot. Will add to my amazon wish list.
  • I am looking forward to The Return of the Native to The Valley later this season.
  • Brilliant.
    Still think what Len done was better than Curbs & Dowie.
  • Lenny worked bloody miracles and remained a very honest and modest bloke throughout: I hope he isn't too self -effacing about his time with CAFC. If we'd been relegated after the move to sellout, I doubt that the Club would have survived! But against all the odds we went up and survived, and played some decent football. A true legend!
  • Sponsored links:

• Agreed, should be a good read. Slightly unrelated but am reading Le Tissier's autobiography and it is one of the better ones about
  • Good old Lennie, he got us back to the promised land when I didn't think it was going to happen in my lifetime.
    Still remember his teams with great affection.
    I'll be looking out for this one; as others have said, let's hope it's not as dull and lifeless as Curbs and Keithie books
  • The problem with Curbs' book was that it was written when he still had plenty of ambition left in the game so had to keep everybody sweet and not rock the boat too much. Lennie, being in his twilight years in the game, will hopefully have had enough freedom to tell it like he saw it.
  • edited August 2009
    YES!!!

great news....

Ive always wanted him to write one...

Good news...
  • [cite]Posted By: Kap10[/cite]That's one fpor the Christmas list, both Curbs and Keithies biography's were pretty dire,lets hope Lennie tells it how it was and pop's to the Valley ... maybe when Rovers play us.

Disagree.
    The Peacock book was well done.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

where at selhurst park where his greatest achievements were made or boro where he fled and tried to nick robert lee for £250k when we were skint
    yes an absolute miracle worker at the time but not in curbs league imo
  • Ghost written by Kevin Brennan . . . who was also responsible for Curbs' book
  • Looking forward to this one.
  • Legend. We talk about Curbs having no money well LL had no money and no ground and by no money people want to remember he turned up to the Valley and it was padlocked.We were mins from going bankrupt.
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]

where at selhurst park where his greatest achievements were made or boro where he fled and tried to nick robert lee for £250k when we were skint
    yes an absolute miracle worker at the time but not in curbs league imo

Very, very harsh OAM! I doubt you could be serious in claiming that Lennie "fled" after all that he gave to the club whilst he was here!

As for the Rob Lee thing, well, I guess when a manager moves on they will try and do the right thing by their new club not their old one. He offered silly money and we turned him downn - where's the problem?

As things turned out Lennie missed out on Lee big time by not stumping up the extra cash with Boro getting relegated from the Premiership - and Lennie getting the sack - whilst Newcastle flourished with Lee playing a key role.

Personally, I can't separate Curbs or Lennie as Charlton greats, they are equally legends.
  • Sponsored links:

• you're right OA a bit harsh but curbs out shone lennie with loyalty to us (he could have left for better 'positioned' clubs than us) and that derisory bid by lennie (and the hammers) still grates on me cos we all knew robert lee was a decent player .. i still love lennie btw but not in the same way as curbs ;-)
  • Lennie achieved promotion with virtually no money, playing on someone elses ground, and kept us up for four seasons...any other manager achieved that? In addition Lennie spotted Curbs managerial potential, mentored him, and gave him a coaching job at Charlton. Lennie is a complete legend, and if he is introduced to us when Bristol Rovers play at the Valley I will be standing and clapping loud and long.
  • One of the big disappointments of the Curbs book was that while reading it, it always seemed like I had already read or heard everything in it before.

Lennie was always a lot more outspoken than Curbs, so perhaps this will be a much more interesting book with a few surprises and some pointed opinions. We can only hope, but the potential is there.
  • Lennie has always promised that when he got the chance he would write a book on what really went on behind the scenes during the ground share era. Let’s hope he is able to do that as it will be a great read.
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]One of the big disappointments of the Curbs book was that while reading it, it always seemed like I had already read or heard everything in it before.

Lennie was always a lot more outspoken than Curbs, so perhaps this will be a much more interesting book with a few surprises and some pointed opinions. We can only hope, but the potential is there.

Problem with Curbs book was that he was still very much involved in the game and one felt that he was not opening up completely because a lot of folk he dealt with over the years were also still around and there were also a few stories around that he might be in line for the England job...obviously he didn't want to rock the boat too much.
    I'd like to read another unexpergated version a few years down the line..I'm convinced he has a lot more to tell.
  • i liked KPs book. No dirt dished but an enjoyable and enlightening read.

KP is such a nice bloke he even rang the guy who reviewed the book in the programme to say thanks.
  • edited August 2009
    I think the books by both Peacock and Curbs have been unfairly criticised and I thoroughly enjoyed both of them.

I'm not sure what people expected of Curbs book, but it is actually a fascinating insight into the day-to-day life of a football manager, IMO.

And there is plenty of juicy stuff in there, believe it or not. For example, his very candid story about getting pissed the nght before the Full Members Cup final and then not bothering to stay and watch the game, when Lennie dropped hm from the squad.

Somebody mentioned it on CL last year and various posters - all of whom claimed to have read Curbs' book and found it boring - then came on here saying it's all a lie, he'd never have done that, not even realising that the source was Curbs himself...

So while we wait for Lennie's book, I suggest those who have slagged off Valley of Dreams go back to it and read it again. It's actually got some really good stuff in it !
  • I never finished 'from Portocabins to Porto Captains' found it rambling tedious and unreadable and i really wanted it to be good. Areally good read about Charlton, although not a whole book, is the 1996 re-print of the Simon Inglis book about football architecture.
    The garry nelson book is also very good, as is Battle for the Valley, I reckon the KP book, the AC book and the Sam Bartram recent book are OK but not sensational.
  • The language in Lennie's book should be very salty, if it reads true to character.

The Peacock book was solid, like the man it was about. There was never going to be anything scandalous or salacious in it, because that is not Peacock. It told his story, and did it due justice.

With the exception of how his departure went down, there really was nothing new or insightful to the Curbs book. And, as has been mentioned, what else could be expected from someone that still has/had aspirations for big things in the game. It was a chronicle of safe and steady, much like his stewardship of Charlton.

At least we aren't discussing biographies of 20-year olds who've only just begun shaving. Wayne Rooney, et all.
  • edited September 2009
    Interview with Lennie in this month's Four Four Two.

Love the answer re us in our current predicament.