Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Sh*teaway Sun

edited August 2009 in General Charlton
I rarely buy it but somehow, with the general lack of decent reports in the more up market papers, I decided to buy it.

They had a smallish report based on Lloyd Sam. Then I looked at their stats page. Not one Charlton player in the team of the week. On further examination, the muppet who gave the individual player ratings had nobody over a 6 except Lloyd who was rated 7, and most were 5's with the odd 4! Frankly if I could be bothered I'd write to them for an explanation.

Our result was the standout one in the Division and those who were there saw top quality performance by all our players.

I shall not make that mistake again. Shitty rag!

Comments

• with the fear of being shot down here, and accepting you can only beat what is in front of you, but maybe Tranmere really were crap. Maybe the reporter, assuming he was there, marked all ours down because of the mediocrity of the opposition. On the other hand maybe he was just a muppet !!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]with the fear of being shot down here, and accepting you can only beat what is in front of you, but maybe Tranmere really were crap. Maybe the reporter, assuming he was there, marked all ours down because of the mediocrity of the opposition. On the other hand maybe he was just a muppet !!

Probably partly to do with that, and I wasn't there, but it's still very harsh.

Who was given a 4 or 5? In the end we know we played well. We want to keep our first team players here so not seeing them hyped up maybe isn't a bad thing.
  • i thought this plus the news of the world on sunday had semedo at centre back!
  • It's all in your Super Throwaway Scum ...... the Beano comic for, erm ....... adults?

Ratings ..... 4 out of 10, which player was that? ......... presumably for playing the team part - and expressly and efficiently to his manager's instruction, in a total demolition of opponents in their own back yard.....?

The explanation is quite possibly that the invariably partisan Tranmere local rag reporter who covered the game, syndicated his report and ratings to the The Sun, as well as other national newspapers.

So his report and ratings will reflect what he thinks his Wirral based readers want to read.
    And then the sports editor of the Sun, just cuts and dresses up the report to find a storyline.
  • This paper is one of the things I don't miss being away from England.
  • Oggy you're spot on, that's how all the leading Sundays (and when applicable daily's) cover games outside the top two leagues... local journos/freelancers
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Oggy you're spot on, that's how all the leading Sundays (and when applicable daily's) cover games outside the top two leagues... local journos/freelancers

Therefore Bing buy the Sun when play at home, that way you'll get a charlton biased report/ratings summary unless Golfie is a journo.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]It's all in your Super Throwaway Scum ...... the Beano comic for, erm ....... adults?

Ratings ..... 4 out of 10, which player was that? ......... presumably for playing the team part - and expressly and efficiently to his manager's instruction, in a total demolition of opponents in their own back yard.....?

The explanation is quite possibly that theinvariably partisan Tranmere local rag reporter who covered the game, syndicated his report and ratings to the The Sun,as well as other national newspapers.

So his report and ratings will reflect what he thinks his Wirral based readers want to read.
    And then the sports editor of the Sun, just cuts and dresses up the report to find a storyline.

Ha ha, do Wirral based readers realy want to read that there team were beaten 4-0 at home to a bunch of 4s and 5s? If I were a Tranny, I'd want to read that Charlton were an invincible team of 9s and 10s, so that I could kid myself that the Mere weren't really that bad.
  • [cite]Posted By: vancouveraddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Oggy you're spot on, that's how all the leading Sundays (and when applicable daily's) cover games outside the top two leagues... local journos/freelancers

Therefore Bing buy the Sun when play at home, that way you'll get a charlton biased report/ratings summary unless Golfie is a journo.

sorry i should add that this isn't an assertion that warrants message board-esque "Locked On. Fact."

I did a bit of work experience stuff for the NOTW sportsdesk a few years ago and did a bit of work with the guy they use at Colchester (when Parky, Halford, Iwelumo were there)
  • Come on guys. Get real!

Accurate reporting in Murdoch 'rags' is way down the list of priorites. Too busy promoting Rup's other interests and plans for world domination!
  • Sponsored links:

• [quote][cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]with the fear of being shot down here, and accepting you can only beat what is in front of you, but maybe Tranmere really were crap. Maybe the reporter, assuming he was there, marked all ours down because of the mediocrity of the opposition. On the other hand maybe he was just a muppet !![/quote]

surely it was oour good play that made them lookcrap though large
  • A lot of people, reporters included, only follow the ball ...... because they're interested only in the actual highlights of the game. That's what generally gives them a story.

The positional discipline, team shape, reading of the game, covering, movement and the myriad of things players do off the ball is lost on them ......
  • edited September 2009
    i think the Sun should be banned and people made to read The guardian as this paper only ever tells the truth and has no other agenda ------------ fact.
  • I'd not put a lot of energy into worrying about what the Sun's ratings are to be honest. If you run through the team of the week - particularly outside the prem, it's always scorers. So if a left back gets a goal, they're in, regardless of how another might have played. I'd rather have a 4 nil away win than all 11 in the team of the week that's been put together by a comic writer for the hard-of-thinking.
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]i think the Sun should be banned and people made to read The guardian as this paper only ever tells the truth and has no other agenda
    fact.

lol, GH ....... trouble is, The Grauniad would always make the left winger man of the match. ;o)

That's when they can even be bothered to report matches.
    Football coverage isn't exactly their strong point.
  • Erm, Football Weekly? #1 on iTunes and best football listen of the week.
  • [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I'd not put a lot of energy into worrying about what the Sun's ratings are to be honest.

I wasn't that bothered. Just enough to post about it on here...:o)

I am not expecting top line journalism, just teensy weesny bit of consistancy.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: McLovin[/cite]I'd not put a lot of energy into worrying about what the Sun's ratings are to be honest.

I wasn't that bothered. Just enough to post about it on here...:o)

I am not expecting top line journalism, just teensy weesny bit of consistancy.

Hey, Bing ...... get real.

The Scum is only interested in sensationalist slop for the non-thinking classes.
    That's what sells their copy.

Any relevance to truth and integrity is merely coincidental.
  • Report from Local paper!

Tranmere Rovers 0, Charlton Athletic 4 Aug 31 2009

by Nick Hilton at Prenton Park

TWO resounding defeats in eight days exposed the uncomfortable reality that Tranmere are not yet ready to stand up to the better teams in League One.

The side put together by new manager John Barnes on a slimmed down budget this summer allowed leaders Charlton Athletic to win more or less as they pleased at Prenton Park on Saturday.

They were not outplayed, out-thought and out-muscled quite so comprehensively as by Leeds United a week earlier. But there wasn’t much in it.

Rovers’ marginal improvement on the performance at Elland Road was not significant enough to seriously trouble the Londoners, whose fifth straight victory set a club record for their best start to a new league season. Tranmere finished August in the bottom four, after losing four out of five games.

Home fans who offered the team noisy support at the start of the afternoon were stunned into silence by two Charlton goals in two minutes by Lloyd Sam and Jose Semedo midway through the first half.

After the visitors notched further goals from Sam and Nicky Bailey after the interval, the groans and boos turned into a few critical chants against Barnes and several choruses in praise of previous manager Ronnie Moore.

The grumbles reflected the fact that Tranmere were rolled over much too easily, albeit by a talented visiting side who knew what they were about.

The paying customers were entitled to expect more resolute resistance from the home team. At the very least some strenuous and organised defence. But Rovers lacked cohesion and common purpose in all departments.

Barnes’ team are still trying to find some confidence in their ability to master the way he wants them to play.

The pass-and-move style the former Liverpool and England winger introduced this summer isn’t holding together when tested by strong opposition. Ironically, it was the quality of the passing game played by Leeds and Charlton that made Rovers struggle to compete.

Barnes argues that with belief and persistence, they can make it work. When Rovers attempted to play a compromise formula in the second half, mixing the passing football with a more direct approach after introducing target-man Michael Ricketts at the interval, the change had little impact.

No matter how Tranmere tried to go forward, they invariably looked vulnerable at the back after losing possession.

Just like Leeds, the Addicks are blessed with high-quality players whose wages are beyond Tranmere’s reach, together with youngsters who came through the Academy system during the club’s Premier League days.

Manager Phil Parkinson reaped the benefits of a scouting mission to Prenton Park last Tuesday when he saw Rovers beaten by Bolton Wanderers in the Carling Cup.

“You can see Tranmere are trying to play football and that’s credit to John Barnes,” Parkinson said. “So we worked on closing them down and making it difficult for them.”

Charlton dominated the play almost from the start.

Semedo and Thierry Racon established control of the midfield, Sam and Nicky Bailey made profit in the wide areas and striker Jonjo Shelvey caused Tranmere trouble wherever he roamed – which seem to be just about every area of the pitch.

Rovers goalkeeper Luke Daniels made diving saves from Shelby and Dion Burton before the visitors took the lead on 25 minutes. When Shelby skipped past Shaleum Logan on the left, Tranmere defenders looked at each other while the cross floated to the unmarked Sam to nod inside the left-hand post.

Two minutes later a backheel by Bailey sent Semedo bursting between two defenders into the box to guide a low shot past the advancing Daniels.

The best Tranmere could manage in reply was a 30-yard free-kick from Paul McLaren that was comfortably saved by Rob Elliott and a cheeky backheel volley by Ian Thomas-Moore from Aaron Cresswell’s cross that also thudded into the goalkeeper’ chest.

Barnes withdrew wingers Chris Shuker and Alan Mahon, who were hardly in the game, in favour of Ricketts and Gareth Edds at half time.

But before the changes had time to take effect, Charlton added a third goal on 49 minutes. Full-back Kelly Youga fond space down the left to swing across the far post where Sam, barely five-feet-eight-inches in stature, was unmarked to notch his second headed goal.

Bailey should have put his name on the scoresheet when he exploited the gap between centre-backs Ian Goodison and Gavin Gunning to head Sam’s cross over.

The fourth goal on 68 minutes arrived in embarrassing fashion for Tranmere. Bailey’s long curling ball into the goalmouth from the left touchline just eluded Burton but the striker’s movement was enough to deceive Daniels and the ball sailed on to finish in the far corner of the net.

No ratings though!
  • Does anyone care what the Sun thinks (except politicians who are after their support)?
  • Sponsored links:

• Bet "Charlton striker Sam" enjoyed being called a "hitman" though! Laughable and not even very absorbent!
  • i usually get the sum, even today am going of it though!!! main reason is got dreamteam through them and they charged me '7' times!!!!!!! i did not find out till the next week when checked bank statement(luckily as usually dont lol) i then called them waited for 15mins then got customer service you would expect from a 20p paper absolute toilet, was fuming they didnt even give me timescale, how i would find out or anything other then they will look into...

... then went onto call them the next week and they didnt take any details they just said to wait 31 days and should turn up in the bank, i queried whether they would let me know or anything again nothing more and still no apology!!! im getting a bit sick of this now went to call at lunch but after another 15mins got through and was ordering my lunch so had to hang up, im going to call them tomorrow hopefully clear this up but will definatley be sending a letter of complaint. to top it of the other week had to stay in on a saturday as because they charged me £70 had no money to go out and got paid on the money Feckin joke all of it

only reason i buy this stupid paper is the sports section is more and better then the others & the showbiz stuff which dont care about but the eye candy is refreshing to look at lol, any suggestions wat would be better paper for me anyone..... no daily sport im not a complete perve!! :-)
  • There's rude words to read sometimes in The Times and Grauniad.

No poncy asterisks like you get in The Sun.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]There's rude words to read sometimes in The Times and Grauniad.

Really !
    I'm buying both tomorrow and I can use these words in the Bank !!
  • haha i may have to check them out...... grauniad? never herd of that one u mean the guardian? i seriously dont know lol
  • [cite]Posted By: johnnybev1987[/cite]haha i may have to check them out...... grauniad? never herd of that one u mean the guardian? i seriously dont know lol

Over the years The Guardian has become known for it's large number of spelling mistakes and typos. Hence the nickname The Grauniad.
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]There's rude words to read sometimes in The Times and Grauniad.

Really !
    I'm buying both tomorrow and I can use these words in the Bank !!

One of the funniest articles I ever read was a two-pager in the Guardian on the history of the word c**t (ha ha, I'm not sure if i can even type it here, but they had it in the title). This included such gems as there used to be a road in Lambeth which was frequented by prostitutes and was officially known as Gropec**t Lane. Also the original spelling was queynte - this has come in very handy for getting past the email spies ;-)
  • How quaint ..... or was it really spelt queynte....?

I thought it was derived from the Latin word cunnus as in cunnilingus or the Irish word Aer Lingus.
    Or maybe I should just give up and go to bed!

;o)
  • Am I allowed to use it tomorrow to discribe the "Business Manager" at Lloyds TSB ?
    ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]Am I allowed to use it tomorrow to discribe the "Business Manager" at Lloyds TSB ?
    ;-)

The word describes something beautiful.

You shouldn't really mis-use the word to abuse your bank manager.

;o)