Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mac help

BDLBDL
edited September 2009 in Troubleshooting
Anyone got a G4 Powermac? Should be getting my hands on one fairly soon, but it doesn't have a HDD or memory though.

Can I install one of my spare HDD and install OS X on it? Can I use any generic memory?

Can I use any old Keyboard and mouse or do I need a Mac mouse and Keyboard?

Comments

• Any old keyboard and mouse, as for the first part, google it. think the pins are different on a mac
  • Keyboards fine run through the usb port like my mac, roths right don't think they will fit one of the downers of having a mac. Is it like that scene from zoolander when there trying to switch on the I mac... classic.
  • Think I'm right in saying a G4 isnt Intel based... therefore unable to use the latest Snow Leopard operating system. Maybe not a problem for you though - depends what you're doing with it I guess
  • Any Hard disk will work, so long as it has the right connection type... most G4's use ATA or IDE, newer machines use SATA. For the RAM, have a look on Crucial.com. They have a tool that will find you the correct RAM for your machine. Order from there, or match their answer to RAM you already have and you should be good to go.
  • I have a g4 assigned to the garage..... currently using an i mac.
    I am sure that the g4 will not use snow leopard.

Got sick of going on the internet and not being able to connect to sites as the browser was so old. My friend who ran a studio in Bromley upgraded his a few years back because of the software he had, Photoshop, Quark xpress and loads of others but regretted it as 3 months later he still had to get the upgrades. Macs as great as they are now upgrade about every 6 weeks, with security, i tunes, Safari etc etc. My 18 moth old i mac upgraded 10 times last year, never had an issue with it but I think the life expectancy is 3-4 years tops and then expect 'issues'

Heard good things of the new snow leopard but I guess it is what you want to use it for.

I use one at work for DTP and have a G5 and use Photoshop and indesign. Pro wise they upgrade every 3 years with brand new machines .
    In my office 2 machines out of 10 have only lasted 11 months so I am unsure the latest machines are that much better, but then our IT support is pretty average.
  • Cheers all.
  • Got the Mac - Need memory though - Anyone got any PC100 168 pin sdram lying around?
  • Well it works, got a couple of 128mb chips so it's running on the bare minimum 256.

Currently running OS 9.2 - will run OS 10.4 Tiger, Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get a copy??
  • edited September 2009
    I will wisper you
  • Sponsored links:

• Afternoon all, well I got it working thanks to help from several but most notably Ken from Bexley! That's a couple of beers at least I owe you!

Only running 256mb of ram at the moment, so it's a little slow. But I think I may well be converted! So easy to set up OS X. A real joy I have to say.

Thanks everyone.
  • Glad it worked Dave....
    If I find the memory chips I will whisper you, that is if I can remember where I put it!......
  • edited October 2009
    Afraid not......
  • BDL - late post I know and probably not a very helpful response so apologies but u can pick up a fairly decent G5 for 200-300 quid I would strongly suggest this as opposed to running a G4 (unless it is the very very latest G4 released) with OSX (any version) as u will become frustrated very quickly.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bennyhill[/cite]BDL - late post I know and probably not a very helpful response so apologies but u can pick up a fairly decent G5 for 200-300 quid I would strongly suggest this as opposed to running a G4 (unless it is the very very latest G4 released) with OSX (any version) as u will become frustrated very quickly.

It's OK and a good introduction to Macs for someone who has "grown up" in a microsoft world!

G5 Imac is on my wish list for next year!
  • Anyone needing Mac or PC repair or support, or any home networking etc drop me a line as the missus does this for a living now.

Cheers

R
  • What about fence repairs?
  • tsk....

:P