Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Some great Pathe News clips of about South East London

Comments

• Yes, I'm afraid I do, it was October 1969: a 2-2 draw with Pompey, 2 goals from Mike Kenning if memory serves aright. It was all a bit embarassing with the animals. They tried to make the elephant score a penalty at the covered end, poor thing didn't want to know so they tried the camel but with no better luck.. We stayed up by the skin of our teeth but the luck ran out the next season.
  • just saw my grandad who was a conductor on the last tram..
  • Just watched Charlton v Arsenal in 1956.

Why were we playing in white at home?
  • Many thanks,
    Remember as a lad listening to the 1947 Cup Final on my parents old 'wireless' - ops - that of course is the 'radio' to you young ern's...... lol
  • The Earl Rise school clip had Headmaster 'Spud' Taylor, the first bloke to give me the cane,,,,,,
  • Is it possible to download these to DVD? Would love to show some to my dad who was around for a lot of them.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Is it possible to download these to DVD? Would love to show some to my dad who was around for a lot of them.
    Most of the newsreels will be subject to copywrite and the fee to legally download them is quite expensive, you can get details on the Pathe website...

There are ways of doing it though...
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]
    It was all a bit embarassing with the animals.

They tried to make the elephant score a penalty at the covered end, poor thing didn't want to know so they tried the camel but with no better luck.

I suppose the camel had the hump.
  • We had a few up at that Semi Final vs Newcastle - hope nobody sang any horrid songs !
  • Sponsored links:

• Did anyone watch the 1923 Bolton match.....?

That was the big cup match, I think I've read somewhere - us, the minnows of the Third Division against the powerful and mighty top flight Big Boys.

Film played out at about 90 mph, flickering away and of course, it was silent film.

Some great shots of The Valley as it was, no fences to keep the crowd away from the touchline.
    Even looked as if the teams had the half-time oranges on the touchline with the crowd all around them!!
  • edited September 2009
    And if you really want a treat ......... there's film and commentary of Charlton winning the FA Cup !!!

Some great movement and trickery from Chris Duffy, including his cannonball winner!
    Didn't realise it was scored only 4 minutes from the end of 2nd period of extra time - 116th minute.

Edit: Don't want to spoil the viewing if anybody doesn't want to know the result.....(!)

;o)
  • Staff Training in the Old Days

I don't think Mr Castle would get away with his 'hands on' approach today!
  • Some of the CAFC stuff is on the centenary DVD.
  • Ho, Ho, Oggy, and the elephant was taken to tusk for trying to make a trunk call!
  • I watched the footage of the Lewisham and Hither Green train crashes - only 10 years and half a mile apart and 140+ dead. Shocking stuff.
  • [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Yes, I'm afraid I do, it was October 1969: a 2-2 draw with Pompey, 2 goals from Mike Kenning if memory serves aright. It was all a bit embarassing with the animals. They tried to make the elephant score a penalty at the covered end, poor thing didn't wa
    nt to know so they tried the camel but with no better luck.. We stayed up by the skin of our teeth but the luck ran out the next season.

I rember it too. Interesting but Firmani was Manager and we expected a great season after 68/69 finishing 3rd , in the end it spelt the end of Eddie and a very barren patch