Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Reading

edited October 2009 in Rumours
I have friends that are Reading fans, and after looking at their results and perfomances, and what they have to say it's fair to say that at the current rate, Brendan Rodgers might not be around for long. And if so, their first port of call will probably be PP.
So my point is:
Do you you think this could happen and if so would you mind?

Comments

• could happen, wouldn't mind.
  • couldn't see them going for him at the moment to be honest, looking at his last attempt to keep a club in the championship after taking over mid-season...
  • What large said. Parky seems to make some odd decisions. Whilst we all like to see 442 at home against weak oppo 451 away in the oppos cup final must be a better choice. Is he capable of switching things during a game? Not convinced, plus surely shelvey was the obvious choice to come on at jills second half? I'm no expert, but even I can see when something isn't working and the slowness to change is very frustrating to say the least. Saying that I think he has done a fantastic job getting us where we are, just not sure about him overall.
  • edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]What large said. Parky seems to make some odd decisions. Whilst we all like to see 442 at home against weak oppo 451 away in the oppos cup final must be a better choice. Is he capable of switching things during a game? Not convinced, plus surely shelvey was the obvious choice to come on at jills second half? I'm no expert, but even I can see when something isn't working and the slowness to change is very frustrating to say the least. Saying that I think he has done a fantastic job getting us where we are, just not sure about him overall.

Had Richardson not had to go off I'm sure Parky would have introduced Shelvey.

As regards the original question I'm sure Reading would come in for him and he would probably go. He appears to be regarded with a lot of respect and affection by Reading fans. I would mind because I'm not convinced we would be able to afford anyone better in our present state.
  • Henry asked this same mischievous question a week ago.

I know they still love Parky down at the Madjeski but they're not stupid, either , and so they're not going to appoint on the basis of sentiment. There are surely plenty of candidates ahead of PP, including Gareth Southgate...
  • edited October 2009
    Sorry if this is an old thought, I've only just regestered you see.
  • edited October 2009
    In that case welcome, BB. It's certainly an interesting thought. I just think Reading will be acutely aware that we were in the same postion as them this time last season -and Parky failed very badly. Not sure a six game winning streak in div three is enough to cancel out memories of that failure , to be honest...
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]What large said. Parky seems to make some odd decisions. Whilst we all like to see 442 at home against weak oppo 451 away in the oppos cup final must be a better choice. Is he capable of switching things during a game? Not convinced, plus surely shelvey was the obvious choice to come on at jills second half? I'm no expert, but even I can see when something isn't working and the slowness to change is very frustrating to say the least. Saying that I think he has done a fantastic job getting us where we are, just not sure about him overall.

Had Richardson not had to go off I'm sure Parky would have introduced Shelvey.

As regards the original question I'm sure Reading would come in for him and he would probably go. He appears to be regarded with a lot of respect and affection by Reading fans. I would mind because I'm not convinced we would be able to afford anyone better in our present state.

they would pay us compo then and we would use that to buy out Adkins, if we had any sense at all.
  • might have moved a step closer. Another home defeat, havn't won at home for something silly like 16 games, none under Rodgers, in bottom three ....
  • Sounds like a similiar tale, as ...... Sheff Weds, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Norwich.... is the Premiership cursed????
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Sounds like a similiar tale, as ...... Sheff Weds, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Norwich.... is the Premiership cursed????

well, it certainly isn't all it's cracked up to be. Reading have lost Doyle, Kitson, Bikey, Hunt etc and all for big money that seems to have been used to plug a hole left by a couple of years in the PL. It really is becoming a poisoned chalice.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mascot88[/cite]Sounds like a similiar tale, as ...... Sheff Weds, Leeds, Charlton, Southampton, Norwich.... is the Premiership cursed????

well, it certainly isn't all it's cracked up to be. Reading have lost Doyle, Kitson, Bikey, Hunt etc and all for big money that seems to have been used to plug a hole left by a couple of years in the PL. It really is becoming a poisoned chalice.

Exactly, if you don't get back up in that first season then you are really in big trouble, if Newcastle fall over this season - and there is still a hell of a long way to go - they will be in League One within a couple of years.
  • Well if Reading have any sense they won't employ Parky. Recently relegated from the premier league, sold off the top players, struggling in the championships bottom 3, not much money to spend. He didn't exactly pass the test last season, so why would they employ him on the back of his track record? Roy Keane was a Man Utd legend but you won't see them rushing to employ him when Fergie goes.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Well if Reading have any sense they won't employ Parky. Recently relegated from the premier league, sold off the top players, struggling in the championships bottom 3, not much money to spend. He didn't exactly pass the test last season, so why would they employ him on the back of his track record? Roy Keane was a Man Utd legend but you won't see them rushing to employ him when Fergie goes.

PP has been doing a good job this season. Clubs are very quick to forget previous failings - look at Southampton and Pardew.

Norwich appointed club legend Gunn as manager. I wouldn't be surprised if Reading came after Parky.
  • curbs to reading
  • I reckon we are 50/50 to finish top 2, but if we lose Parkinson I expect we can say goodbye to a realistic chances of automatic promotion this season. We have got the stability and togetherness at the club that has been dramatically missing at least since Llewellyn departed these shores.

I like Parky and given the vacuum he had to operate in the summer and the lack of wholehearted support he has here (whether justified or not is irrelevant), I wouldn't be surprised if he chose to return to what he may well consider his spiritual home.

On the other hand, after a tough start taking over the reins at a chaotic club in freefall suffering with splits in the dressing room, he has turned it round and is doing sterling work here and - despite rather limited means - he has engineered a small but good squad of players with the right attitude. Would he really wish to abandon that? I doubt it, I suspect he'd like to be here for the long haul.

Perhaps Parkinson's worst case scenario, would be to turn down the chance to rescue Reading - where he is a bit of a hero - but then sacked by us following a takeover and the imposition of a new manager.

If Reading were to come calling perhaps the deciding factor would be the level of confidence he had in any backing he may, or may not, receive from the board.
  • if they sack Rodgers then they will go for an unemployed manager as they have already shelled out £500,000 compo to watford and also will have 2 pay off Rodgers.
  • What is ironic is that Rodgers was the wunderkind last year.
  • I don't think Parkinson could save them from going down!

Personally I would rather try and gain promotion with a club who are in a strong position to do so than to go over what he had to endure last season.

After seeing the Reading V Burnley playoff game I knew they would struggle this season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]What is ironic is that Rodgers was the wunderkind last year.
    Interestingly not for the early part of his stay at Watford. Looked very shakey and took a while to turn it round.

Not sure Parky's CCC record with us and hull will have the Royals - or anyone else in that league - kicking our door down, quite yet, anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• PP to Reading..............

Curbs to CAFC

It is all starting to come togethor
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]I don't think Parkinson could save them from going down!

Personally I would rather try and gain promotion with a club who are in a strong position to do so than to go over what he had to endure last season.

After seeing the Reading V Burnley playoff game I knew they would struggle this season.

I'd imagine that he - personally - might like a contract that gives him stablility beyond 8 months' time and working a bit closer to home. As I said I don't think they would want him, at the moment, but you have to think of his personal circumstances and the relative budgets of the two clubs if he did get the choice.
  • Oh I think he'd go all right. if he turned them down it would be like, for example, Richard Rufus being offered a job at Charlton and telling us he prefered to ply his trade at another club (Yes, I known he's not a manager but I was trying to think of a CAFC parallel).

The reason he won't be going is because Reading won't be inviting him - for the reasons cited above by others ...
  • weren't you sure that Kinsella would go to Colchester (a better analogy BTW)?
  • Reading seem like they're going to "do a charlton" and go down regardless of who their manager is...

ahh i remember the days when doing a charlton was to get promoted and cement your place in the prem.
  • ''weren't you sure that Kinsella would go to Colchester (a better analogy BTW)? ''

If it was offered, yes, I thought he would take it. Then I changed my mind when somebody said he was married to the chairman's daughter! Would you want to work for your father-in-law? In the end, though, I didn't think he was offered it, was he? Also Kinsella was a playing legend at Charlton before he joined the management team, so doesn't have an exclusive attachment at Colchester and has ties at Charlton that may be mnearly as strong.

Parky was at Reading as a player for about a dozen seasons, as was Rufus for us. Parky's Reading career (1992-2003) also covered exactly the same period as Rufus (1993-2004) and both ended their career at the clubs at which they had become 'legends'. Hence the parallel, which I thought was a closer one than Kins, for the reasons stated.