Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Attn: Virgin Media Users

BDLBDL
edited February 2007 in Other Football and Sports
I was on 4mb Broadband package and Phone for £39.50 a month. (£25 for BB and £14.50 for Phone)

Told them I was going to go to Sky.

They offered me XL package (up to 10mb) and Phone for £24.50. Saving me £15 a month - That'll pay for my Napster subscription

Worth haggling!

Comments

• Options
    I received my new Virgin bills and my broadbad has gone up from 8.99 to 18.99 or something since the takeover. Must make a phone call.
  • Options
    its gawn!!!!

cue a cry of despair from the front room this morning as les realised he no longer had sky sports news to watch whilst eating his crumpets!!!

is it still available on free view anyone know?
    we cancelled ntl a month ago as we're moving and it runs out tomorrow anyway, but will it still be on freeview?

the message that virgin media have to their customers is quite funny as well!!!! anyone else read it?
  • Options
    Still on Freeview, but not sure for how long.
  • Options
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh no Simpsons. Switching as soon as I can.
  • Options
    Exactly what Sky want you to do
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Still on Freeview, but not sure for how long.
    Until OFCOM give Sky the go-ahead to launch subscription sports/movies and they change the compression to mpeg4...

Should be safe for a few months (probably aiming for the start of next season).
  • Options
    thats on 4 tho isn't it?
  • Options
    Cue this weekend in the papers, offers to Virgin Media customers for free installation, free HD boxes etc etc
  • Options
    Why anyone would have such a pony company as NTL/C&W/Virgin or whatever they are calling themselves this week is beyond me.
    Sky+ is all you need.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I want Sky Sports News and Sky One for the new Simpsons (only old and only a few on 4). Don't have freeview as all comes thru NTL.
  • Options
    what kind of download limits are virgin imposing? If unlimited surely you can just hit the torrent sites and get these shows b4 the sky customers.
  • Options
    With regards to Sky+ - waste of money.
    Get yourselves one of these instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-PVR9200T-Set-Top-Box/dp/B000BO2F6M/ref=pd_ka_1/026-7658546-1910011?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172748205&sr=8-1
    Fantastic.
  • Options
    No ta. Sky HD is the mutts nuts
  • Options
    Henry - ditch NTL it is pointless - freeview is just through your normal TV aerial, easy peasy.

The Humax above has two freeview tuners, so you can record and watch different programmes - or you can pick up a decent tuner for £30 in Argos (Wharfdale) - or get both.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]No ta. Sky HD is the mutts nuts
    You must have money to burn Medders ... I suppose you save a lot of money by dining out at KFC
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    sky's fault i didn't get a payrise this year, we're losing £1m a year on our previous contract with them. :o(
  • Options
    only problem is my work e-mail is with NTL. Time to register Ben@benhayesassociates.com Where's Alex Wright when you need him?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]No ta. Sky HD is the mutts nuts
    You must have money to burn Medders ... I suppose you save a lot of money by dining out at KFC

LOL, fair play SS ;-)

The Sky HD box cost me less than that Humax you mentioned... Yes I pay an extra £10 a month, but the extra picture quality is worth every penny....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite]With regards to Sky+ - waste of money.
    Get yourselves one of these instead:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Humax-PVR9200T-Set-Top-Box/dp/B000BO2F6M/ref=pd_ka_1/026-7658546-1910011?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1172748205&sr=8-1
    Fantastic.

what is this then salad, i am a bit of a techno-phobe and i wanna no what this thing is! It dont tell y afook all on that site! I aint got sky or nothing, but am in the hunt for a new digibox, as my one is so old it must of been the first ever one!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Cue this weekend in the papers, offers to Virgin Media customers for free installation, free HD boxes etc etc

Problem is don't you need a BT line for all the Sky stuff? That costs about £100 to get installed I think - my phone is NTL and so I get everything else through them. If I'm wrong someone please let me know because the NTL service is sooooo slow...
  • Options
    you do need a bt line for sky, its real pain and its why i cancelled my sky subscription, not only is it 40 jibs a month, but the stoopid bt mugs get there money too, so all in all if you have sky plus and say an extra box (multi room) it costs you nigh on 70 pounds a month, and you still have to fork out for a sopping tv bollox licence. 80 ish pounds a month for idiot box just does not work out for me, its a foiokin scam.
  • Options
    yeah, we only went for ntl as it was £34 a month with sky sports and the basic package and a phone that was free evening and weekend calls

dont have a pooter at home to get broadband, but the package with ntl was definately the best. at the time. shame its so rubbish.
  • Options
    a lot of the new televisions come with freeview already in them now.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]what is this then salad, i am a bit of a techno-phobe and i wanna no what this thing is! It dont tell y afook all on that site! I aint got sky or nothing, but am in the hunt for a new digibox, as my one is so old it must of been the first ever one!
    Like Sky+, it's a digital PVR ie. Personal Video Recorder. Sky + and Humax came top for these in a recent Which? report.

You get one-touch recording to it's hard drive - just click OK on a program in the on screen TV Guide and it will record - or just press the record button to start recording what you are watching. Easy peasy.

You can do "chase play" ie. start watching something from the beginning before it has finished recording, and pause/rewind live TV.

Eg1. set Shameless to record .... get in ten minutes late .... start watching it from the beginning .... skip the adverts and you might even catch up to real time.

Eg2. Watching football or film and you need the loo / another beer - just press pause, come back in a minute and continue from where you were - perhaps catch up at half-time.

To select a recorded programme is easy - just press the list button and everythig you have recorded is listed on the screen - including programme name, date & time.

It has two freeview tuners by the way - so you can record two channels at once .... or watch one channel and record another.

No subscription fes, although there are one or two free updates a year to the software (which are just broadcast to the box!)

Here is a review:
    T3 review Jan 2006

Note that review is out of date, because the issue it refers to at the end no longer applies because of a software update last year to enable chase play.
  • Options
    still waiting for sky to contact me about my broadband.
  • Options
    The Virgin version of Sky + is an exceptionally good bit of kit
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]still waiting for sky to contact me about my broadband.

Mate at work has been waiting 11 weeks....!
  • Options
    Mate at work here wait three months (about the same I guess) - gave up in the end and got it from Waitrose.

Personally my broadband is Ntl (or whatever it is called today) - but waiting to jump ship at the first good opportunity - eg Tiscali do it for £12.99 but everyone says they're rubbish, so I'm waiting for another option about the same price.