Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sepp Blatter

edited September 2006 in General Charlton
Yet talking more crap. Wants World Cup finals decided by something other than penalties. Why? Yes its cruel but by far the only way you can end a game. I for one love a penalty shootout! He's talking of a replay now or golden goal after having players taken off the team. Imagine this...You play 90mins of a world cup final, you give it your all but its a draw. You face another 30mins, your gonna be absolutely fucked by now. However due to new rules your now down to 9 or 10 men each playing until the next goal is scored. As if playing 8 games excl. extra time & training in the space of a month isnt hard enough for the two finalists.
How else can you do it without having penalties?

Comments

• give players weapons? :-)
  • [cite] suzisausage:[/cite]give players weapons? :-)

LOL- A damn sight more sensible than Sepp Blater.

Has to be 30 mins extra then Pens. If 120 mins cannot seperate two teams surely splitting them with some mental resolve rather than total exhaustion is the best way
  • Has anyone got any other realistic ways of deciding the result ?
  • There is no way? Unless they do it on something stupid like goals scored/against/difference throughout the tournament?
  • [cite] cafcpolo:[/cite]There is no way? Unless they do it on something stupid like goals scored/against/difference throughout the tournament?

Then you get the issue that the team with the better tournament record might play out for the draw...... and we all know how bored that can be
  • edited September 2006
    Here's a BBC view: Penalties?
  • It would be great if the collective minds of Charlton lifers can come up with a better solution than either a replay or pens-

If you take a look at the comments on the link above, i really don't think there is one.
  • Some of those comments are laughable...

"Haven't read the whole thread, so don't know if this has been proposed already, but.....
    In extra time, do away with the offside rule.
    Alternatively, any throw-in in the opposition half becomes a corner kick.
    The only way I would like to see players removed is if they remove any player still on the pitch who has required attention from a physio, stopping the game, if nothing else it would stop all the acting we see."

and...

"I suggest a 5-a-side style of penality where a player starts from the half way line and has a certain amount of time to score. Could even include additional players. ie have 3 attackers against 3 defenders and a goalie and have 1 minute to score. At least then the game is decided on the night within a reasonable amount of time after extra time. It could be possibly to include upto say 7 players in total hence highlighting team work, tactics etc and also it would generally require a greater amount of skill to succeed."

Are these people stupid, armchair fans or both?
  • Whatever is decided it needs to be something with no arbitrary nature.

Removing players won't work as it would have to be random, and then when one team loses their best player and the opposition lose the half injured donkey on a yellow card there will be moaning a plenty.

Penalties work because they are simple. Everyone knows what to do. It's part of the game already and it gives all players (including the goalie) a chance to get involved. Okay it's a psychological thing as much (if not more than) ability but it works.

It won't get changed as TV companies don't like replays and pretty much all football competitions rely on TV money. I'm sure many TV exec's would do away with extra time and go straight to the penalties, which there is an argument for as I am sure the vast majority of games that go to extra time then end up in penalties.
  • Lots of other sports have a draw as a possible result, and how do they resolve a drawn final?

Hockey - penalty shootout?
    Rugby - drop goal shootout isnt it? (albeit rare)
    Ice Hockey?
    American Football?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2006
    I just think you are all over complicating matters- why not a simple, best out of 5 game of Scissors, paper or stone?
  • game of poker in the centre circle?
  • nah, whichever player has the largest knob, his team wins... at least that would keep your women interested in the game and not moan about the extra time and penises.

ok peni is the plural but that sounded better.
  • Curb_it - I think you might be on the wrong message board!
  • [cite] Curb_It:[/cite]nah, whichever player has the largest knob, his team wins... at least that would keep your women interested in the game and not moan about the extra time and penises.

This could lead to an interesting change to the way in which managers select new players on the transfer market!!!
  • i think jay boythroyd would find international status... apparently.
  • Isnt Claude Makeleles called 'The Swinging Beer Can' ??
  • Take the penalties BEFORE extra time!

Could be very interesting then - the penalty-losing team would actually be liberated ... they have to score or they're out ... no more cagey schmagey.

Especially if you make it golden goal :-)
  • Golden Goal. But after every five minutes throw another ball on.
  • [cite] Curb_It:[/cite]nah, whichever player has the largest knob, his team wins... at least that would keep your women interested in the game and not moan about the extra time and penises.

Extra time and peni lol thats comedy gold curbit!
  • Sponsored links:

• musical chairs.
    22 players, 21 chairs, music over the tannoy, you get my drift.
    it should be a sport in its own right.