Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: Has the Danish earned his bacon ?

Blog virgin Weegie Addick gives a decent defence of Dennis. See what you think:

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=94

Comments

• Well done Weegie.As I have previously stated he isn't my cup of tea,but for the last 10 games of season and possibly Denis's last 10 games for Charlton I'm prepared to give him 110 % support.
  • nice one, personally I've always liked him and have felt he gets made a bit of a scapegoat sometimes.
  • Is there a statistic for crosses that cause concern to the opposition...?
  • Great article and enough to question my frustration with Romm, but the dood that says he doesn't have a footballing brain hits the nail on the head for me. It might take the right manager to do the thinking for him. I want every Charlton player to be a success and will cheer him on, but I am not going to pretend that a few great moments aside, he has produced the goods enough for my club.
  • Thanks for the positive comments - this was written just before the WHU match, but I have no problem with Romm staying on the bench if it keeps Thomas and Ambrose on their toes like that!

Razil - the 'cross completion %' is about as close as you can get to the stat you are asking about.
  • good read & well written Weggie!

jury is still out for me though
  • Hmm comparing favourably his crossing ability to that of Christiani Ronaldo is fair enough but perhaps we should really compare strike rate and perhaps ability to strike fear into the hearts of opponents. How many goals has Romm scored this season? How many were created from his crosses? It's worth remembering that two goals came from the right last Saturday - M Bent to Ambrose for the first and Ambrose to Thomas for the latter's second and our fourth, ie in a position that Romm plays in, would he have either crossed the ball for Ambrose, or for Thomas's goal? Would he have run into the box in the way Ambrose did looking for the half-chance? Or even ran at the defence as Thomas did for his first? Rhetorical questions I know because he wasn't playing, but I don't think so. If Romm were to contribute several goals a season either off his own boot or via assists then I'd put up with the frustrating poorly delivered crosses, but he doesn't. It's also not as though he can take a good corner or free kick.

For me Romm is an athlete with some footballing ability, rather than a footballer with some athletic ability. Undoubtedly it isn't all his fault, if he were playing with a stronger midfield he'd look a lot better, and I don't think he's been used that well by Curbs and then Reed, ie as an out and out winger. For Denmark he plays in an attack support role/inside right. The trouble is the game in the EPL is too fast for him, even with his pace, and the tackling too hard for him to survive in the EPL in that role at Charlton.

This is his last year in a three year deal, and unless Romm does something amazing over those few games I'd release him at the end of the year and let him play somewhere like Denmark where he'd be a star and use his ability well, at Charlton sadly that's never going to happen.
  • edited March 2007
    spot on
  • You're taking it too literally. I wasn't comparing Romm directly to the 'best player in the world' (to quote Rooney). I was using Ronaldo's stats to demonstrate that even the best wide men in the world fail with the majority of their cross attempts.

Many fans are far too hard on Romm. Ambrose and Thomas are suddenly superstars after one good game last week, yet there are many examples of them being anonymous - or even dire - in other matches. Where are they today??
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Weegie Addick[/cite]You're taking it too literally. I wasn't comparing Romm directly to the 'best player in the world' (to quote Rooney). I was using Ronaldo's stats to demonstrate that even the best wide men in the world fail with the majority of their cross attempts.

Many fans are far too hard on Romm. Ambrose and Thomas are suddenly superstars after one good game last week, yet there are many examples of them being anonymous - or even dire - in other matches. Where are they today??[/quote]

Well Ambrose scored the equaliser...
  • Sponsored links:

• Maybe that's what I was hoping for!!
  • And you failed to mention that Romm's cross set it up - my point exactly about him only ever getting the criticism but not the praise when it's due!!!
  • Weegie you know i'm not his biggest fan,but i said i would give him 110% support,just got back from game and it was a great cross.
  • The problem with Rommedahl is that he just does not get into the box anywhere near enough.

Look at Ambrose in the last two games, he has scored twice and had other chances because he makes those late runs into the danger areas.

For some reason Rommedahl does not do this and that's why his scoring rate is so abysmal.
  • We expect Rommedahl to be a world-beater - is that one of the main reasons why people are so hard on him?

Yesterday against Watford he came on in the 87th minute.......he crossed for the equaliser and then laid on what should have been a last-gasp winner.

Not a bad contribution for only 5 minutes on the pitch, eh?

Use him properly and he'll unhinge most defences.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Use him properly and he'll unhinge most defences.[/quote]

Which means bringing him on late against tired teams when his pace might achieve something.

From here on I'd play him as a sub and bring him on for the last 20-30 mins, particularly if we are chasing an equaliser/winner. Starting him doesn't achieve much.
  • Just seen Song's sublime long ball to Dennis, instantly controlled and superbly crossed for Ambrose to equalise.

Quality!
  • [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]

Use him properly and he'll unhinge most defences.

Which means bringing him on late against tired teams when his pace might achieve something.

From here on I'd play him as a sub and bring him on for the last 20-30 mins, particularly if we are chasing an equaliser/winner. Starting him doesn't achieve much.

Agreed. Even more so if Ambrose and Thomas maintain their good form of late.
  • Great article Weegie- Romm certainly is a "marmite" charecter and the debate/blog make for some great reading!

If any other fancy a go- please don't be shy- football is about opinions after all, which is what make's this forum a really addicktive place to be.
  • Thanks, stanmore!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2007
    Weegie, what I like about your article is that it's well reasoned and thought out - we all know that Rommers can be infuriating and under-achieve...... but on his day no team can live with him.

It's up to Pards to devise a way to get the best out of him.

Anyway, great article!
  • Thanks Oggy - glad to have a seconder in one of the great Charlton debates. Will be a bit sad if he does go at end of season, as will leave a bit of an 'if only' feeling, unless Pards can use him properly as you suggest in these remaining, vital games.
  • Hes a winger who rarely goes past anyone and after his comments on sky, well he can just sling his hook for all i care.