Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Guy from Welling wins 250k by hitting the bar

WSSWSS
edited November 2009 in Other Football and Sports
Just saw on SSN that a guy at Wembley tonight watching Saracens against SA had the chance to win 250k by kicking a rugby ball and hitting the bar (maybe from the 22).

He only went and did it, without any shoes on. And he has played rugby for Welling apparently.

Comments

• Just got in from there.

Have never laughed so hard ever.

Will write more in the morning.

Nearly broke a rib laughing!
  • Just saw it on sky sports.Nice to see it went 2 a local, wonder if hes a charlton fan.
  • He was fron Welwyn

A right wally, it was all set up for the crowd to take the rise out of him too. Was beyond belief, people around me were nearly crying with laughter at the thought of the PR man getting the push!!

Why put yrself in that position? £250k is mad money to offer.

Saracens have said they insured against it.....hmmm
  • I was there too and it was great to see. He did it in his socks too!
  • Bronco's did something similar at the stoop some years ago when you had to convert 3 different kicks to win a car.

They drew out the name of the person doing it before the match. In that time the bloke approached a friend who played semi-pro rugby union as a kicker to take the kicks on his behalf. There was nothing in the rules that said you couldn't do that. Low and behold all kicks were converted and the car was won! Bronco's had insurance, but they refused to pay because they let the replacement take the kick.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Guy from Welling

Hahahaha nice one shagger! Ever thought about becoming a journalist?
  • The best part was Francois Pienaar was doing the announcing and he was sooo wooden, like a South African version of Alan Partridge.

There were another 2 kickers after the guy that won and he for some reason thought he had to keep on building up the tension, as if he didnt realise that the 1st guy had bankrupted the club!!!!

Even funnier, the main pa announcers tone of voice went down 2 octaves after it happened, as though he'd lost his job!

Have genuienly never laughed so much was in total stitches.

Utter Comedy Gold.
  • classic
  • Here ya go...

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Club-Rugby-Player-Stuart-Tinner-Wins-250000-In-Saracens-Ball-Kicking-Competition-At-Wembley/Article/200911315456324?f=rss

Quality.
  • "This is the second best day of my life - the best was when I lost my virginity."
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]"This is the second best day of my life - the best was when I lost my virginity."

PMSL - after hearing him this morning, I don't think he's lost it yet.
  • Haha that is brilliant. I can just imagine the corporate advertising twat who came up with the idea of this competition is writing his resignation letter as we speak.
  • not if it was insured.

Look at the amount of coverage they are getting. More than for the whole match I would guess.

The insurance premium would have to be paid either way so no difference in budget.

Now the insurance broker who made the deal : - )
  • Quality.

The feeling when that hit the bar...
  • But Henry they won't get £250K's worth of PR. It made them look such berks.

Apparently he was asked where he was taking the Cheerleaders for dinner....he said KFC!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ssssstuart is a legend!!
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]But Henry they won't get £250K's worth of PR. It made them look such berks.

But if they have insured against it happening it won't be costing them anything like £250k

Your car insurance is a few hundred £££ you car is worth a few thousand £££.

No idea what they would have paid but they would have to pay the insurance win or lose so they have spent £XX either way.

Now they have got all this publicity. It's on Sky, in the papers, we are talking about it, etc, etc and it cost them exactly the same as if he had missed IF big IF they insured it.
  • JT do you have a link for that?
  • Just from the Sky News video:

Right click on image and select properties - link will be there for where it has been hosted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Love his face in the first one!

Hands in pockets...
  • Wasn't it supposed to be a drop-kick though? He punted it.
  • The fact he took it seriously enough to take his shoes off BUT leave his socks on!, shows that this man is a legend.

Wonder if he can do a job for us upfront?
  • Fair play to the fella, wolly or not, that kick was perfect!
  • Even more of a Legend.....
  • Go on my Son!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]But Henry they won't get £250K's worth of PR. It made them look such berks.

But if they have insured against it happening it won't be costing them anything like £250k

Your car insurance is a few hundred £££ you car is worth a few thousand £££.

No idea what they would have paid but they would have to pay the insurance win or lose so they have spent £XX either way.

Now they have got all this publicity. It's on Sky, in the papers, we are talking about it, etc, etc and it cost them exactly the same as if he had missed IF big IF they insured it.

their insurance premium for that would've been peanuts in comparison to the PR they will get from this...
  • Totally agree the odds would have been massive, Saracens wouldn't have parted with any more than £50k for the insurance (i've done similar stunts in my line of work) Insurance man who was there to make sure it was all done in line with the rules would have been there crying into his beer...

A massive win on the PR front for Saracens which can't but help them with their goal of building their fan base. I imagine a few of the players are a bit miffed having just turned over the World Champions they've been shunted away from the headlines by a 24 year old winning with a lucky kick. And they have already got more than £250k worth of PR on the back of this; the fairly crude way of working it out is the value of the media if they'd have to buy it as advertising - seeing as it's on repeat on SSN, all over the papers and on the BBC news bulitins. Just wait till the appearance on GMTV, Metro, London Lite, Standard etc... Sarries PR team will be celebrating just as much as Stuart from Welywn.
  • This will all be forgotten by Thursday.
  • Who exactly is supposed to be benefitting from all this PR?

I presume most people know what Wembley is and anybody who is interested in rugby will know who Saracens are?