Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Playstation or X Box

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
Does anyone know the pros and cons of either as want to get one for my sons this Xmas.

Comments

• PS3 is free online gaming and Xbox costs you around £40 per annum. I think there are more games for the Xbox and you can get lots of cheap ones especially the older games from ASDA or online. Both consoles I understand are about the same in graphics and speed etc. except the PS3 you can play Bluray disks on. I would say there are more people with Xboxs because they are generally cheaper to buy. You can play DVDs on them as well.
  • I've got both consoles. Both are fabulous machines but I prefer the Xbox. From the geek point of view, other than the main drawback that the Xbox cannot be used as a blu-ray player, both machines are evenly matched components-wise and there is absolutely nothng between the quality of the graphics. On the odd occasion, one game will convert better for one console than the other but thats about it.

As Jason said above Xbox live cost £39 a year but in my opinion the online gaming aspect on the Xbox is far more accessable than the PS3. For the racers out there, Forza 3 is the way forward with the proper steering wheel and pedals. (I'm lucky I live with my younger brother who spends all his cash on both consoles lol)

At the end of the day, the main consideration I guess is that your son would prefer the console that his mates have got so they can play online together? It would be pointless buying him an Xbox when 20 of his friends have a PS3!
  • Ps3 = games console, DVD, blue Ray player and has a good quality iplayer module on there as well as Internet browser.

X box games console and DVD player
  • Similar in terms of graphics and that kind of thing. Genuine exclusives are rare these days (Metal gear solid & Gran Turismo on PS3 - Halo & Forza Motorsport on X360). Games are similarly priced.

XBOX has a better online experience as its easier to join mates in games (though that's certainly improving on PS3). PS3 is free though

PS3 having blu-ray and DVD capability makes it a great 2 in 1 (seeing as it's connected to the internet you can update the firmware for free). It will play your music, photos and other multimedia too.

PS3 is therefore better futureproofed IMO - also has a much lower failure rate (google RROD for xbox and YLOD for PS3 - red ring of death and yellow light of death)

PS3 is significantly quieter than XBOX360 (that's like a hovercraft)

X360 is cheaper

Personally I prefer my PS3 - I prefer the controller too.

Best bet is to ask the kids in a stealthy way which they reckon is best and what their mates play because next-gen consoles are all about online play so if all their mates are on xbox that might sway you!!
  • facebook, twitter, last fm, zune (1080p film streaming) all added to xbox.
  • I have both in my house but am a Playstation boy for gaming tbh. Though, I must say, the new Sky Player for Xbox is very impressive. Provided you have (or know someone who has :p) Sky, you can watch Sky sports, ESPN, Sky Movies etc through the Xbox, which is great if like me it's impractical (and too expensive) to have Sky installed where you're living. If you haven't got multiroom at home it's an extra tenner a month, but if you're a student and your parents for example have a Sky account you can use, I'd say that the Xbox is now the better of the 2.
  • X-box has only 1 advantage over the Ps3 and thats its online gaming system with their parties but in sayign that it costs around 40 pounds every 6 months. Whereas the Ps3 has better graphics , both gameplay is samish varies on the game. But id say Ps3 is a better option because it lasts longer and you can do much more things on it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Merty111[/cite]X-box has only 1 advantage over the Ps3 and thats its online gaming system with their parties but in sayign that it costs around 40 pounds every 6 months. Whereas the Ps3 has better graphics , both gameplay is samish varies on the game. But id say Ps3 is a better option because it lasts longer and you can do much more things on it.

Its £39.99 a year NOT for 6 months and is worth every penny.
  • Well its £15 for 3 months
  • Sponsored links:

• Between them my kids have got both. Based on our experiences I would strongly recommend Playstation. Other than the reasons given above, the main one is reliability. Twice we've had to take X-Boxes back for repair/exchange because they ceased functioning. Then, this summer I had to waste best part of a day of my holiday stripping down an out-of-warranty X-Box to fix the notorious red ring of death.

I've never had a problem like this with Playstation and nor would I ever expect to, as I've never had a problem with any Sony product. It seems to me though that by comparison Microsoft are a little too quick to take their products to market without testing them properly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems
  • With the new slim PS3 under £200 this has surely gone beyond a fanboy debate and become a no brainer.
  • Agree with morts and the ps3 slim looks nicer next to a flat screen tv!
  • the blu ray on the ps3 is great seeing as blu ray players cost quite a bit on its own, and the dvd playback is miles better than on some cheapo dvd players. avoid pro evolution soccer 2010 on a ps3 tho, its shocking online
  • Get an Xbox!
  • Can we make this a stricky to avoid the question coming up another 5 times in the run up to Christmas?!
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]With the new slim PS3 under £200 this has surely gone beyond a fanboy debate and become a no brainer.
    Very interesting...
  • And another thing, if you want to hook up the the internet with X-Box you have to buy a special wireless adaptor from Microsoft before you can even pay the subscription. With Playsation it's all included in the box.
  • edited November 2009
    There is a reason the XBOX base model is cheaper!

Add-Ons to make it come close to PS3

Wireless

Xbox 360 Wireless Network Adaptor (Xbox 360)
    Price: £44.99

plus Subscription £40 a year

HD Drive:

Xbox 360 HD DVD Player (Xbox 360)

Price: (Dis-Continued Was £117.99)

The Cheapest Console:

Xbox 360 20GB Console
    Price: £169.99 New so thats £372.97 it would have cost to attempt to be near a PS3 now (if HD DVD existed) or £254.98 as Hd Dvd is now defunct! And an additional £40 every year!