Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jimi hendrix wins poll for greatest rift

2»

Comments

• hate metal and all it represents but jimi is funky blues and still sounds fresh.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]hate metal and all it represents but jimi is funky blues and still sounds fresh.

How was Jimi in any way shape or form metal Ben?
    Who is metal...not Zeppelin, Floyd,Cream or The Who etc etc...metal came along some considerable time later.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]hate metal and all it represents but jimi is funky blues and still sounds fresh.

Henry Irving in "I hate metal" yawn!

Must get awfully boring keep putting the same comment on threads all the time. Might have to start calling you Henry Block, or maybe Charlie Irving!
    ;o)
  • jimi isnt metal, that was my point.

And off it yes i've said it before and i will say it again. Metal and its s*it lyrics and pompous stage antics make me want to vomit.

Thank gawd for 3 minute pop songs.
  • Don't watch or listen to it then Henry Block - and stop bleedin going on about it!
    ;o)

Personally I find that thinking and talking about vomit makes me want to vomit, so I try to avoi ....... oh ....... hang on a mo ............ RALPH!!!!
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE80W5xYbTI
    Jimi on the lulu show, reverse head stock, right hand guitar, played left handed, jamming to creams sunshine of your love, feedback, reversing the amps, Live NOT mimed, ( banned all live music for 18 months on the bbc) no locking nuts See jimi tune up while playing hey joe etc, etc.... most probably the greatest rock tv moment of all time......
    You lucky fellow Sound As a£, Bromley court was the first tour, and Chiselhust caves must have been an 'event' , I think he played purple haze as the last number, and finished it with playing with his teeth ...... backwards...... a trick jimi could do, play a song backwards live! . I think he also did 'hey Joe' and 'Killing floor'....must meet up to discuss this.....

Everybody loved Jimi because the guy was so generous, and would jam with anyone...... Clapton on many an occassion as well as Beck were in admiration of Jimi and friends as well as Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Mc Cartney. In those days musicians seemed to be a more collective group of brothers than indulge in petty rivalry, and the people who I have met who knew jimi say the guy was so dismissive of his own talents, that he thought he could not even sing......The guitar theatrics that Jimi indulged in when he came to England should not be confussed with his later day concerts, the guy was a black man in a white man's pop world world, in post war grey Britain that had no real platform for his type of music. The music of blues, and funk jazz.... Jimi and a few other artists helped change this.....
  • [cite]Posted By: ken from bexley[/cite]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE80W5xYbTI
    Jimi on the lulu show, reverse head stock, right hand guitar, played left handed, jamming to creams sunshine of your love, feedback, reversing the amps, Live NOT mimed, ( banned all live music for 18 months on the bbc) no locking nuts See jimi tune up while playing hey joe etc, etc.... most probably the greatest rock tv moment of all time......
    You lucky fellow Sound As a£, Bromley court was the first tour, and Chiselhust caves must have been an 'event' , I think he played purple haze as the last number, and finished it with playing with his teeth ...... backwards...... a trick jimi could do, play a song backwards live! . I think he also did 'hey Joe' and 'Killing floor'....must meet up to discuss this.....

Everybody loved Jimi because the guy was so generous, and would jam with anyone...... Clapton on many an occassion as well as Beck were in admiration of Jimi and friends as well as Brian Jones, Keith Richards and Mc Cartney. In those days musicians seemed to be a more collective group of brothers than indulge in petty rivalry, and the people who I have met who knew jimi say the guy was so dismissive of his own talents, that he thought he could not even sing......The guitar theatrics that Jimi indulged in when he came to England should not be confussed with his later day concerts, the guy was a black man in a white man's pop world world, in post war grey Britain that had no real platform for his type of music. The music of blues, and funk jazz.... Jimi and a few other artists helped change this.....

And how!!
  • off it, it's only rock and roll but I like it : - )

Music is something that you should imho be either hot or cold about, never luke warm.

You listen to your metal stuff but I'll stay at home with my beatles and the stones (and a lot more). All that dandruff and macho black magic stuff just doesn't cut it for me. But its a free country.

Ken, come to the next Bromley meeting and i will introduce you to Sounsas
  • What makes you think I don't like or own any Beatles or Stones - or Mott The Hoople - though Henry Block?
  • or bowie even, ; -

Your reaction just remimds of that 70s band pavlovs dog ; - )
  • Sponsored links:

• actually........

The term 'heavy metal' was originally used to describe the Byrds.
  • [cite]Posted By: Alex Wright[/cite]actually........

The term 'heavy metal' was originally used to describe the Byrds.

I thought that the periodic table had been around longer than the 60's!
  • edited November 2009
    Leroy, surely arguing that one riff is 'better' than another riff is a complete waste of time. Like arguing Beethoven was better than Mozart. Music is completely subjective.

I mean, in what way, Leroy - can you possibly rationalise that a Slayer riff is better than a Hendrix riff? Or vice versa? There is no formula to good music, thank god. Just sounds like musical snobbery to me. An unfortunate consistency amongst the Slayer/metal fans I meet.
  • Some great posts about Hendrix on the previous page.

When I was about 18, a few years after Jimi was found dead, I bought an LP called "Jimi Hendrix 64" .......this was Jimi and his mate Mike Ephron with recordings they had made back in 1964 in New York's Greenwich Village, when both guys were "cocktail saloon" musicians earning their bread from their nightly performances.

This album is based on exploring blues based rhythms and, according to the blurb on the sleeve, "They'd make better records" Jimi told Mike, "than some of the ---- that's made me so rich and famous".

I've got several Hendrix albums - but I've got to say this is my favourite.
    And apparently has some of Jimi's favourite stuff too.
  • I think some people need to listen to some metal, rather than just believing metal stereotypes. "Hating everything it represents" is a rather blinkered viewpoint, and I'm not even sure what that means, since there is nothing which all metal 'represents'.
  • On the subject of Hendrix, one of my favourite covers is by The Make Up of Hey Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc_DPYqUyRo
  • Rather suspect that anyone saying they hate metal probably loves a lot of stuff that comes from the same roots. Personally I'd say genre categorisation is pretty pointless in such a subjective area. If someone likes metal exclusively, and believes that Hendrix falls into the metal category then all's well in the world. If someone else happens to dislike metal, but still likes Hendrix then that's fine and dandy too.

Kind of reminds me of the clip in Bad News (the Comic Strip's tilt at a British Spinal Tap) and the bit where the drummer got out of the tour van and refused to go on unless everyone confirmed that they were a metal band (I think they'd been discussing new directions). Fish from Marillion once told me this happened to them, but wouldn't say which member.

When I was a kid I remember a bunch of punks turning their backs on the Clash because they reckoned that they'd sold out and weren't punk anymore (basically because they weren't following the trail of the Pistols). So what's in a categorisation.