Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackwall tunnel closed

edited November 2009 in Not Sports Related
Due to a lorry fire, and not expected to open until some time tomorrow morning. Apparently the approach road is currently tailed back to Kidbrooke. Those of you who drive through the area on your way to work probably need to allow extra time in the morning.

Comments

• Assume thats Northbound:
    Due to go there at 9am.........
    Thanks for the Heads-up a.
  • That'll stop you all getting ove to the good side
  • Thanks Ali. Got to deliver (and collect) a car from Rotherhithe in the morning, Will have a think about it!
  • News now reporting Northbound tunnel closed until at least Wednesday!!!!
  • edited November 2009
    Although this particular 'incident' is somewhat different from others that have been highlighted recently and there may be some justification in closing the tunnel (I'm not sure about 36 to 48 hours though!), my lips are sealed......wouldn't want to upset Leroy now would I.
    As a small local businessman, whose drivers and reps are hugely affected by these on-going road closures, I evidently can't have a view on the matter, leastways one that I can post on here.
  • You could use the woolwich ferry, one boat service.
  • edited November 2009
    Interesting piece of info I heard late last night on LBC (as I battled my way to Liverpool Street Station to pick up a relative who arrived from Stanstead).
    The reason why Rotherhithe Tunnel is so twisty is because it was designed to prevent horses from bolting back in those days.....evidently if they can't see too far ahead they are discouraged from doing so.
    Not a lot of people know that!!
  • All together now...

"One Woolwich Ferry, there's only one Woolwich Ferry.........."
  • Very interesting Sa£.
    ;-)
  • Why couldn't you have picked them up from Stansted you tight old git Soundas?
  • Sponsored links:

• total grid lock still around Kdbrooke---shootershill---Eltham----Woolwich --- and Blackheath.

Lets hope the lorry driver is safe whose lorry caught fire---- so he can be put on Blackheath in chains and have buckets loads of shit thrown at him.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Interesting piece of info I heard late last night on LBC (as I battled my way to Liverpool Street Station to pick up a relative who arrived from Stanstead).
    The reason why Rotherhithe Tunnel is so twisty is because it was designed to prevent horses from bolting back in those days.....evidently if they can't see too far ahead they are discouraged from doing so.

Yep thats right.
    And the Old (northbound) Blackwall tunnel.
    Just got to compare it to the one going the other way.
  • Turned around and went home this morning - not a good day to be driving to Dartford from Braintree. A12, m25 completely snarled up by this!

Anyone think we need a couple more options for getting across the Thames???
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]Turned around and went home this morning - not a good day to be driving to Dartford from Braintree. A12, m25 completely snarled up by this!

Anyone think we need a couple more options for getting across the Thames???

chitty_finished.jpg
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Interesting piece of info I heard late last night on LBC (as I battled my way to Liverpool Street Station to pick up a relative who arrived from Stanstead).

The horses wouldn't be able to breathe with all those exhaust fumes SoundAs, so sorry I think thats untrue ;)
  • The Rotherhithe tunnel is very old.
  • Don't know about horses but, as kids in the early Sixties, we used to bike through the Blackwall Tunnel.

It was part of our lap - along the Woolwich Road, across the river via the Ferry, back along through the docks where City Airport is now and then home via the Blackwall Tunnel. I remember the huge downdraft from the air-conditioning fans making it hard to stay on the bike as you came through.

Probably quicker by bike then than you could do it by car now.

We had jumpers for goalposts too.
  • Anyone near the Ashford area, M20 is shut both ways between 9 and 10
  • What pisses me off is the fact that the Southbound used to have two-way traffic during the rush hour.
    Why couldn't they have reverted to that, at least it would have allowed for SOME traffic to pass through.
    Apparently opening at 19:00 tonight (Monday).
  • it's open now!
  • Sponsored links:

• Rejoice!
  • I got caught up in that last night. Took nearly 4 hours to get back home from East Ham. Why both tunnels were shut for the aftermath of a fire in one I don't know know and fair play to them this time for getting it open ahead of schedule I suppose BUT does that mean that it was in no way as serious they first thought and to close it until Wednesday was the usual over reaction to this sort of thing? I know they have to check it out of course but it does seems to be the default position with the Police and authorities in the event of any sort of incident these days and you do worry about the people making these decisions.

The whole town down here is in a complete mess because of some lizards or something being moved in advance of yet more roadworks next year. Yet the project manager for it was quoted in the paper expressing 'surprise' that closing lanes on the main route in and out of Bournemouth was causing a "few" problems (like total gridlock for miles around). We do seem to love a road closure in the UK don't we?
  • According to London Tonight, the road surface had to come up and be re-tarmaced. I guess our friends from down the A2 had some left over from a couple of drives done over the weekend and got up here a bit lively to do the job, so you'll have excuse the little white bits in it.
  • [cite]Posted By: Robbo on the wing[/cite]What pisses me off is the fact that the Southbound used to have two-way traffic during the rush hour.
    Why couldn't they have reverted to that, at least it would have allowed for SOME traffic to pass through.
    Apparently opening at 19:00 tonight (Monday).

The contraflow stopped because people drove like nutters while it was on. You see it now in the one-way tunnel, even when it's packed - idiots swerving between lanes.

Closing the entire thing gives traffic a chance to disperse in several different directions and take a completely different route, and takes pressure off some of the roads around Charlton/Blackheath. The Charlton end of Woolwich Road was pretty clear until the evening rush kicked in. Having just one lane open would give people false hope, and clog up even more of the immediate area around the tunnel.

With a situation like this, sometimes it's easier to tell people the worst-case scenario, then surprise them by getting the job done quickly.
  • Don't know about horses but, as kids in the early Sixties, we used to bike through the Blackwall Tunnel.
    I cycle through the Rotherhithe tunnel everyday.
  • You must have lungs of iron man, respect, man!
  • Was open again this evening
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]I got caught up in that last night. Took nearly 4 hours to get back home from East Ham. Why both tunnels were shut for the aftermath of a fire
    ?

They wasnt southbound was fine!! in fact straight through without stopping last night!!