Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Blackwall Tunnel is shut again

edited December 2009 in Troubleshooting
Collapsed manhole this time. I thought that was only something that happened to Dicko?

Comments

• The Dartford Tunnel is also closed....might be back open by now though as I heard that an hour or so ago....we need another river crossing desperately!
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Collapsed manhole this time. I thought that was only something that happened to Dicko?
    Why would they have a manhole cover in a tunnel...?
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Collapsed manhole this time. I thought that was only something that happened to Dicko?
    Drainage? Think about it - the tunnel slopes down as you go in & up as you come out, therefore rain will run downhill and flood the tunnels if there aren't any drains...
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Collapsed manhole this time. I thought that was only something that happened to Dicko?
    Drainage? Think about it - the tunnel slopes down as you go in & up as you come out, therefore rain will run downhill and flood the tunnels if there aren't any drains...
    So where does the water go then...?
  • It'll be pumped out.
  • The tunnel is retarded!!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]The tunnel is retarded!![/quote]

'Course it is......takes you Norf of the water.............
  • I wondered why the Rotherhithe Tunnel was slow going, even at 4 o'clock.

Just think, another river crossing would be under construction right now if we'd all voted for Ken.
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]It'll be pumped out.
    Why don't they make the tunnel with a hump in the middle and then all the water would run out itself at each end...
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]It'll be pumped out.
    Why don't they make the tunnel with a hump in the middle and then all the water would run out itself at each end...

I'm no expert but I think if you make the middle higher than the sides you end up with a bridge.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]

I'm no expert but I think if you make the middle higher than the sides you end up with a bridge.
    I'm surprised no ones ever thought of an under water bridge....
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I wondered why the Rotherhithe Tunnel was slow going, even at 4 o'clock.

Just think, another river crossing would be under construction right now if we'd all voted for Ken.

Is that so???
  • I want to stand for London Mayor with two policies

1- Construct an underwater Bridge from Thamesmead to North
    2- A £2 payment for each pixie you kill and take to that big glass bowl gaff where the Mayor lives

Who's voting for me?
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]
    You generally find them in places like tropical fish tanks...
  • Landed at City airport yesterday at 12.45, cab tried to get to Blackwall Tunnell and traffic was gridlocked, then tried Woolwich Ferry, but when we got half a mile away, traffic gridlocked again and only one ferry running. Ended up going across Dartford Bridge and getting home 14.45 ... bloody ridiculous ... again!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]
    You generally find them in places like tropical fish tanks...
    The Thames is hardly tropical but if the experts are to be believed it soon will be....
  • There is a long and complicated answer I could give as to why there is underground structures in tunnels but I won't.

It just happens
  • Patronising tw*t!

Try us.
  • Ok, the tunnel is just that. A tunnel, it goes below the water level and is a meant to be a dry structure.

So unless you drive an amphibious vehicle you would not want to drive through the blackwall tunnel without it having an infrastructure underground as such, else you would just get wet and that would be less fun than sitting in traffic whilst one of the covers to these underground structures is fixed (trust me you would not want to drive over an opening to an underground structure)

Or shit like that could get left and in about 2 days the blackwall tunnel would just be like an aquatic decoration
  • BORING...!
  • Sponsored links:

• Irony upon irony....I love it ;-)