Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

darren bent

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
what a complete player.

Comments

• just got a 2nd
  • he is one hell of a player,take him to the world cup
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]he is one hell of a player,take him to the world cup

No chance. Defoe, Owen, Heskey and Crouch will get the nod over Benty. Wrongly IMO but he's not a big enough 'star' playing for a top 4/5 club so they don't seem to rate him.
  • edited December 2009
    i no mate,but heskey?
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i know mate,but heskey?

I know, I know but it'll happen [...shakes head in despair]

Be gutted for the lad if he finishes top English scorer again and misses out. Again.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

Be gutted for the lad if he finishes top English scorer again and misses out. Again.

gonna be close between bent and defoe 12 -14 to defoe atm ....
  • he really deserves it,even at spurs he scored,he wont let anybody down,heskey has had many chances,sorry about the spelling there.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i no mate,but heskey?
    Top scorers in the whole of Europe in qualifying with Heskey in the team. If playing Heskey gets the best out of Rooney, it's probably worth it. Heskey certainly isn't there to score goals.
  • Capello won't take Owen. If Dazza keeps scoring he will go especially ahead of him. Owen can hardly even get a start for a poor ManU frontline.
  • heskey has plenty of chances.
  • Sponsored links:

• For a reason though. He's not just playing because he's a bigger name than Bent, Defoe or whoever, it's the job he does for the team. It's not that I'm a fan of Heskey, but clearly there's a reason why Capello and other managers have used him. Rooney, Owen and other strikers enjoy playing with him, and a lot of defenders don't like playing against him.
  • not really,we dont win any trophys with him,maybe now we can kick on from quarter finals and win it,and you need football players who play well in there postion,a striker who scores.the carl leaburn of england
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]not really,we dont win any trophys with him,maybe now we can kick on from quarter finals and win it,and you need football players who play well in there postion,a striker who scores.the carl leaburn of england

I don't think you can say that playing Heskey ahead of any other striker is the reason we haven't won any trophies. There are plenty more obvious reasons than that! I do agree Heskey should go, because he gets the best out of others, as Sco said.

BUT, if he takes Owen ahead of Bent I'll be so pissed off. And I think there's a chance Bent can make it - Capello doesn't strike me as the sort to take players (like Owen) who haven't played enough for their clubs.

ROONEY, DEFOE, CROUCH, HESKEY, BENT, if he takes 5...
  • There is no way Michael Owen will make the England squad, simple as that.

I can only see Capello taking 4 strikers Rooney, Heskey, Crouch and Defoe, so he's got two recognised pairings but I wouldnt be against Bent going, as long as its not at the expense of the three named (obviously Rooney is an absolute given). I think he will only take 4 forwards as he knows that Gerard, Lennon and Walcott have all played centrally at one point or another and could all play behind Rooney, Heskey or Crouch if necessary.

Presumably, the 23 man squad is normally made up on 3 GK, 8 DFs (2 LBs, 2 RBs and 4 CBs), 8 MFs (2 LMs, 2 RMs, 4 CMs) and 4 FWs? If so, not sure how Capello would risk cover for any of the major positions by taking a 5th forward? Given the state of injuries and form at the moment, it may even be more wise to take a 5th CB rather than a 5th FW...
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]i no mate,but heskey?
    Top scorers in the whole of Europe in qualifying with Heskey in the team. If playing Heskey gets the best out of Rooney, it's probably worth it. Heskey certainly isn't there to score goals.

Playing against some of the minor nations in the qualifiers is not the same as playing effectively against top quality international sides in the knock out stages and Heskey (and Crouch) has consistantly failed to deliver. We've all seen how well Bent can lead the line but unless he gets the chances that Heskey has had with England we'll never know if he can do it at that level.
  • [cite]Posted By: Si[/cite]

I don't think you can say that playing Heskey ahead of any other striker is the reason we haven't won any trophies. There are plenty more obvious reasons than that! I do agree Heskey should go, because he gets the best out of others, as Sco said.

BUT, if he takes Owen ahead of Bent I'll be so pissed off. And I think there's a chance Bent can make it - Capello doesn't strike me as the sort to take players (like Owen) who haven't played enough for their clubs.

Agreed. You can't directly compare Bent and Heskey as they would be competing for different slots in the squad. I think the absolute key to our chances against the top sides is firstly creating space for Rooney, and secondly getting Lampard and Gerrard into goalscoring positions. Those 3 are genuine matchwinners, and if Heskey is their enabler as Capello seems to believe, then he should play.

Capello is building a squad, rather than simply a list of the best individual players, and it isn't just a case of looking at the scoring charts and picking those who have scored the most goals.

In my mind, Bent is competing for Defoe's position. Of course it has to be said he's ten times the player of that cheating judas.... but removing my Charlton specs for a moment, the jury's out on whether Bent is actually a better player than Defoe. At the moment, there's not enough international games left for him to make a a claim, whilst Defoe has a good international scoring record, so it's probably fair enough that Defoe is going for now.

If Bent went as well as Defoe, then I don't see him getting a game. If England are needing a goal with 30 minutes left they'll either go for the Crouch option or the nippy poacher option, and the first choice poacher will always be Defoe.

I think Darren's time will come - probably in Euro 2010.
  • defoe is above bent mate, class player,owen or heskey the ones he has got to get in front
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Playing against some of the minor nations in the qualifiers isnotthe same as playing effectively against top quality international sides in the knock out stages and Heskey (and Crouch) has consistantly failed to deliver. We've all seen how well Bent can lead the line but unless he gets the chances that Heskey has had with England we'll never know if he can do it at that level.

I agree that Bent should get a chance, but it's too late for this particular tournament as there's barely any friendly's left. In any case, the set up of the side at the moment needs a 'Heskey role' and Darren isn't the man to play it.

I'm not sure about your point about only beating 'minor nations'. What other yardstick is there pre-world cup apart from qualifying games? We've battered Croatia, a top 10 ranked side, 4-1 and 5-1 and in general efficiently disposed of everyone we've faced.
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]defoe is above bent mate, class player,owen or heskey the ones he has got to get in front

Yeh probably true, hence I don't think Bent will go as I think there is only one space for a Defoe/Bent/Owen. Heskey will go unless he is suddenly usurped by Carlton Cole.
  • fuck i forgot about cole.
  • Sponsored links:

[cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]

Playing against some of the minor nations in the qualifiers isnotthe same as playing effectively against top quality international sides in the knock out stages and Heskey (and Crouch) has consistantly failed to deliver. We've all seen how well Bent can lead the line but unless he gets the chances that Heskey has had with England we'll never know if he can do it at that level.
    Bent leading the line playing for us or Sunderland isn't the same as playing for England in the World Cup though.

I rate Bent like anyone else on here does, but Bent alongside Rooney against top international sides in the World Cup probably isn't going to be the best partnership. I can't see England winning the World Cup, but if they did, it would be with Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard at their best. If playing Heskey gets the best out of Rooney and creates space and opportunities for Lampard and Gerrard, surely that's the better option than putting Bent or Defoe in because they're one of the top scorers in the league.
  • Agree with all Sco and Sussex have said. And thus very unlikely Bent will make the squad. Unless he takes 5 strikers (as JohnBoy said, unlikely), or if someone is injured.

Really feel for DB, what more can he do? But he'll miss out again.

Will never forgive Sven for taking Walcott ahead of him in '06. Never. I was absolutely gutted - god knows how Darren felt.
  • I'd take him, defoe, rooney & crouch if just the four strikers. would pick Carlton Cole ahead of heskey, i know he is a team player but still never going to score and Carlton Cole just as good as him
  • Probably on my own here but i feel Bent is a quality club striker but is not an international level striker.

Capello will pick whoever he feels can play best with Rooney and like him or loathe him, that option is probably Heskey for the work he brings to the team. Even if Bent scores 40 league goals this season, he cannot play with Rooney.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]Probably on my own here but i feel Bent is a quality club striker but is not an international level striker.

Capello will pick whoever he feels can play best with Rooney and like him or loathe him, that option is probably Heskey for the work he brings to the team. Even if Bent scores 40 league goals this season, he cannot play with Rooney.

Hasn't been tested yet and i think it could work, if not crouch and bring on benty
  • i agree with Chris , i love him dearly but not sure Bent is good enough for the top top top level of the game ....
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i agree with Chris , i love him dearly but not sure Bent is good enough for the top top top level of the game ....
    Got to agree. If he was then he'd be at Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.

Not Sunderland.

Love him though.
  • I agree, taking away my bias as I'd love for him to go to the World Cup, but when it came to the World Cup quarter final and we needed a goal from somewhere I'd be more confident that Defoe could do something than Benty could...
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]i agree with Chris , i love him dearly but not sure Bent is good enough for the top top top level of the game ....
    Got to agree. If he was then he'd be at Liverpool, Arsenal, Man U or Chelsea.

Not Sunderland.

Love him though.

Agree and am confused why Owen managed to get back into a top 4 club?!?!?