Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dickson and Sam

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Have read comments on match
Besides running very fast can someone tell me what he offered to our team today? His shooting in warm up was appalling and I don't recall him having a goal scoring opportunity other than the penalty. Not a target man like Sodje who managed that reasonably well today despite their tall centre back, didn't hold the ball up like Sodje did on occasions. Just wondered?

Sam generally does not appear to be 'at the races' at the moment. Surely in training he is looking how to beat two men when they double up

Happy with the point though, but should have nailed them in the first half when they did not trouble Elliot. When they shifted to to two wide men they started to cause us problems

Comments

• Winning a penalty helped and no one has won a game hitting the back of the net in practice.
  • I thought Dicko did pretty well. He had about three good chances especially the one in the first minute but they all went narrowly wide. Another day he would have scored.
    Not sure what to make of Sam tbh but prefer him to Thomas and Rommadahl. He did well defensively.
  • Sam is so frustrating. Obviously got it in him but has no desire to get some white paint on his boots like he did at the start of the season.
  • Both were very tricky for defenders today.

Akpo is very lazy.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Both were very tricky for defenders today.

Akpo is very lazy.

Like he was against Swindon, you mean ..... ?
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Akpo is very lazy.

I don't know... cream crackered more like... I think he just spends so long moaning about every decision he's often a few yards off the pace, very little there for him today and only stayed on as McKenzie and Dickson wouldn't have won a header between them if they were there til next week
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Have read comments on match
    Besides running very fast can someone tell me what he offered to our team today? His shooting in warm up was appalling and I don't recall him having a goal scoring opportunity other than the penalty. Not a target man like Sodje who managed that reasonably well today despite their tall centre back, didn't hold the ball up like Sodje did on occasions. Just wondered?

Sam generally does not appear to be 'at the races' at the moment. Surely in training he is looking how to beat two men when they double up

Happy with the point though, but should have nailed them in the first half when they did not trouble Elliot. When they shifted to to two wide men they started to cause us problems[/quote]

Now this is funny ...
  • JTJT
    edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Both were very tricky for defenders today.

Akpo is very lazy.

Like he was against Swindon, you mean ..... ?

Can't comment as i wasn't there i'm afraid Oggs.
  • must say he has not pushed on since yeovil,maybe walsall he will
  • tbf to Akpo he was probably shattered from Swindon, when imo he was fantastic and really did hold our team together. Just as a thought, why when Mckenzie came on today did we insist on playing it up to him instead of Akpo? He can't hold up anything!

I've never been convinced by Dickson if I'm honest but I didn't think he was too bad today. He won the penalty, and couldn't be accused of being lazy (which I've thought of him in the past).

As for Sam, I don't think he's been great since the first month of the season. Obviously having teams doubling up on him doesn't help but I can't help but feel that he is only still in the team because of his reputation from earlier in the season, even if he hasn't done much for the last two months or so (from what I can remember, and I've been to the majority of games). Saying that though I'm not going to disagree with playing him though because when he is on his game he's arguably the best winger in the league, and without having any other options hopefully he can play into some form....
  • Sponsored links:

• Sam played great - drunig the 10 minutes we were losing. As soon as we scored he dissapeared again!
  • [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]

fucking lol. yeah double tap L1, twist the right analogue stick and hold down L2. beats two men everytime.
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]

I've never been convinced by Dickson if I'm honest but I didn't think he was too bad today. He won the penalty, and couldn't be accused of being lazy (which I've thought of him in the past).

Definitely chased really well. I think his pace surprised their keeper on a couple of occasions, and he almost scored that lob and later won the penalty through beating the keeper to the through ball.
  • As a fan of Dickson, I am pleased that he played well today, admittedly its only one game etc but last season Dickson had his best games for us (Plymouth home, Bristol City away) with Kandol (big, strong targetman alongside) and today with Sodje, Dickson looked dangerous and very capable of getting goals. Looking forward to hopefully seeing him play alongside Burton.
  • [cite]Posted By: allez les addicks[/cite]As for Sam, I don't think he's been great since the first month of the season. Obviously having teams doubling up on him doesn't help but I can't help but feel that he is only still in the team because of his reputation from earlier in the season, even if he hasn't done much for the last two months or so (from what I can remember, and I've been to the majority of games). Saying that though I'm not going to disagree with playing him though because when he is on his game he's arguably the best winger in the league, and without having any other options hopefully he can play into some form....
    He's in the team because he's our best right winger, 7 assists (best in the league is 8) and 4 goals back that up as well. Most would agree he works hard and helps out defensively as well. While Wagstaff has improved and shows a bit more confidence, Sam is still the much better player.

As I've said before Sam has his faults, he doesn't always play well, but at the moment he's our best option on the right and should be on the team. I know you probably agree after saying he can be the best winger in the league, just wanted to make the point that he's in the team for the way he's played this season, not just on reputation.

He's not a player that will take control of a game, sometimes he needs other players on form and getting the ball to him in the opponents half, but he is one of our biggest threats.
  • Sam just needs a dirty great leftfooted crossfield ball from Senor Llera.
  • dickson should not have gone off, he was making all sorts of dangerous runs which sodje couldnt do because he was shattered after playing 60mins unfit on sat. as soon as he went off our momentum disappeared. sam didnt get in the game first half but caused problems second half and was one of our most threatening players in what was a tough match.

i think parky made the wrong choices - today was 3 points up for grabs which we could have had but didt
  • All I can say Latimer, is that you must have been a different Griffin Park to me as Dickson was excatly what we have been missing and miles better that Sodje today, who looked a bit off the pace (which i will kindly say could have been down to Saturday's exercions)

Dicksons pace frightens defenders and looked lively all game...........and I will go far as to say Parky took the wrong frontman off and as soon as Dickson went off we lost all of our attacking threat and pace.
  • [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Have read comments on match
    Besides running very fast can someone tell me what he offered to our team today? His shooting in warm up was appalling and I don't recall him having a goal scoring opportunity other than the penalty.

Shooting in warm up is just that - Warm up.

He had a least a couple of chances. One in the first minute and a one on one when he lobbed the keeper and missed. Perhaps should have scored both but hard to say from behind the far go.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]Sam generally does not appear to be 'at the races' at the moment. Surely in training he is looking how to beat two men when they double up

By their very nature wingers are inconsistent. Unless they're absolutely world class, ie Ronaldo, Giggs etc. "Should be looking at how to beat two players" ?? Come on, that's a pretty silly thing to say. He's Lloyd Sam, not Lional Messi. How many players in the world do you see regularly beating two men?

I sometimes wonder what people expect from Sam. As someone else pointed out, he's second in the league on assists, has scored 4 goals and seems to be involved in pretty much every goal we score. He's been fantastic for us this season. He's never going to be fantastic every game.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Latimer[/cite]
    Surely in training he is looking how to beat two men when they double up

A bit like Ambrose used to
  • I sometimes wonder what people expect from Sam. As someone else pointed out, he's second in the league on assists, has scored 4 goals and seems to be involved in pretty much every goal we score. He's been fantastic for us this season. He's never going to be fantastic every game.

I completely agree Chunes, i think people do judge Sam very harshly at times. An awful lot of the goals we have scored this season have either been scored by Sam, assisted by him or he played some part in the build up. I think he is our most dangerous player and no, of course he's not going to play well every game. People have to remember that players go through good patches and bad patches. Lloydy will come good, you all know it deep down.
    KEEP THE FAITH!
  • Chris Dickson's 1st goal for the club:

Linky: Chris Dickson's 1st goal dor the club
  • i thought dicko was with bailey our best player against Brentford