Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Smalling

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
Played for Fulham today against Chelsea and despite his O G had an excellent game by all accounts.

Just wonder why he never made it with us as a kid.

Chris Smalling

Comments

• sounded very erudite in his post match interview
  • Probably A. Ref's fault.
  • Noticed he was in the Fulham team today, never heard of him though. Must have been released at u16 level (or younger).

Actually, after reading that, I remember something about a player signing for Middlesbrough and then actually signing for Fulham. Didn't know he was with us before Maidstone.
  • Smalling was born in Greenwich did try his luck with us and Millwall at youth Didn't make it for whatever reason, joined Maidstone and quickly settled there made a impression I think he featured on a regular basis for their reserves at the age of 16 before making his senior debut at 17 also featured for England Schoolboys and Kent U18's.

A lot of teams were scouting him and he continued to impress every time he played for Maidstone grew in confidence, his physical presence and being 6 ft 3 made him a tough centre back, If I'm not mistaken Middlesborough made a offer first and Smalling was prepared to make the move but Fulham made a offer and there were reports that Smalling already signed for Middlesborough but after some consideration choose Fulham. Imo Right Choice.

Now I think with our defensive issues right now we should try sign him on loan lol.
  • I did my level two training badges with the manager of Maidstone Utd a Keith Borans rated this lad Highly.
  • http://www.kentnews.co.uk/kent-news/Smalling-eyes-the-big-time-newsinkent12565.aspx?news=sport

This was done on a previous thread a while back
  • Fair play to him bit of a lifestyle change Maidstone to Middlesborough. He may not have a clue what anyone is saying to him.
  • The leagues are full of players who don't make it at other clubs....no more to us than others...though it 'always seems' that your own club is the worst at letting players slip through their grasp.
  • http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=16443&Focus=248400#Comment_248400
  • Sponsored links:

• I did search under "Chris Smalling" before starting this thread, honest I did!
  • Smalling getting really praised on Soccer Saturday just now.
  • Ask any Maidstone fan, and we'll tell ya he is a very good player indeed. Just watch out for him in a few years.
  • Arsenal have just made an approach to Fulham according to SSN.

Isn't it great to see local players hitting the heights. . . .
  • Off to man utd by the looks of it. according to ssn fulham have accepted a bid
  • The Premiership is getting very like the SPL now in the sense that anyone who looks half decent for one of the lesser lights is snapped up by one of the big four, the same way Rangers and Celtic have been doing north of the border for the last 20 years.
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]The Premiership is getting very like the SPL now in the sense that anyone who looks half decent for one of the lesser lights is snapped up by one of the big four, the same way Rangers and Celtic have been doing north of the border for the last 20 years.

Same thing Liverpool did in the 80's and early 90's

Didn't work out for a lot of them so I hope that's not an omen
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]The Premiership is getting very like the SPL now in the sense that anyone who looks half decent for one of the lesser lights is snapped up by one of the big four, the same way Rangers and Celtic have been doing north of the border for the last 20 years.

Isn't that the case with any league?
    Bigger/richer clubs will always pick and choose.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]The Premiership is getting very like the SPL now in the sense that anyone who looks half decent for one of the lesser lights is snapped up by one of the big four, the same way Rangers and Celtic have been doing north of the border for the last 20 years.[/quote]

Bigger/richer clubs will always pick and choose.[/quote]

Perhaps, just seems more prevelant here these days than before.
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]The Premiership is getting very like the SPL now in the sense that anyone who looks half decent for one of the lesser lights is snapped up by one of the big four, the same way Rangers and Celtic have been doing north of the border for the last 20 years.

Bigger/richer clubs will always pick and choose.

Perhaps, just seems more prevelant here these days than before.

Maybe coz they've run out of money to spend on all the foreign players! Could be good news for the future of English football if all our young players are playing at the top level? Mind you, the Scotland national side...
  • Sponsored links:

• http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_conf/8572063.stm

Fulham wont give in to Maidstones plea of £10,000 compo.

Big club crapping on the small club again. Its not alot of money to Fulham but a significant amount for Maidstone.
  • Contractually they don;t have to pay anything so I am not sure you could say they are crapping on a small club, that said I do think it rather sad that they won't acknowledge the part Maidstone played in his development and give £10K as a gesture, especially when you think that it is probably a quarter of what they pay someone like Andy Johnson to sit in physio each week!
  • Yeah i meant it in a way that basically Fulham are sticking two fingers up at Maidstone as they know no real action can be taken. When Fulham are paying toilet like Chris Baird thousands per week it seems a little unfair.
  • He did NLJR's presentation for their footie tour in bognor regis really down to earth humble guy, Great for NLJR as he is a big Man Yoo fan and got his picture with him

Junior Reds played there as well

if any of you on here where with them

i was the fat skinheaed fella with shouting go on the Charlton every time i walked past one of your pitches
  • Damian Matthew says in today's programme that we offered him a contract but the player felt his future lay elsewhere
  • Damian Matthew says in today's programme that we offered him a contract but the player felt his future lay elsewhere
    No, clearly Andrew Mills/Dowie/Parky/Murray didn't rate him and let him go after a fall out.
    No, clearly Andrew Mills/Dowie/Parky/Murray didn't rate him and let him go after a fall out.
    Would have been Pardew era but yes : - )
    Would have been Pardew era but yes : - )
    So does that mean that Smalling qualifies as yet another one that got away ;-)
  • No. It means he could see where we were going and wanted no part of it.  Obviously a very smart lad.
  •  
    No. It means he could see where we were going and wanted no part of it.  Obviously a very smart lad.

afraid to say but you're right.   Still, at least we know we knew about him and tried to get him.