Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

International goalkeeper on trial

edited December 2009 in General Charlton
http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d9cf3330030002&sectionId=70

Bermuda international Freddy Hall is apparently having a 2 week trial with us. Guess we're probably looking into letting Randolph go and have to get a replacement first.
Bermuda international goalkeeper Freddy Hall is set to join English League One club Charlton Athletic on a two-week trial.

The 23-year-old has been recommended to the Addicks by former Newcastle United and West Ham 'keeper Shaka Hislop who coached Hall at Quinnipiac University.

Hall leaves for London next week and has vowed to make the most of his exciting opportunity at the ex-Premier League team.

"It is my first trial at an English club. I have been waiting for an opportunity and it will be a good experience for me," said the St. George's shot-stopper.

"I think right now in my career I am trying to find someplace to develop and grow as a 'keeper and improve my skill level, hopefully, that can be at Charlton.

"I am supposed to be there for two weeks but if everything goes to plan I should be there longer. My goalkeeper coach Shaka Hislop sorted it all out."

Ex-Trinidad 'keeper Hislop, who also works as a soccer commentator and analyst for ESPN International, has been working with Hall since the start of the 2009 college season.

Having Hislop put his professional reputation on the line by recommending Hall to Charlton has given the young 'keeper a major boost.

"The knowledge Shaka his given me from our one-on-one daily training is really key," said Hall.

"I can only learn from someone like him and he has really shown me what it takes to get to the next level.

"Having someone like Shaka have confidence in you is a huge boost. To have him helping me achieve my professional ambitions speaks volumes."

In order to attend the Charlton trial, Hall had to turn down an invitation for Major League Soccer (MLS) try-outs. He was one of only five 'keepers invited to the annual trials held prior to the MLS Draft at Central Broward Park, Fort Lauderdale next month.

"I actually found about the MLS trials after the Charlton thing came up. I decided not to go because of that, but it is still a great honour because not many players get chosen for that," Hall said.

"I would not mind playing there (the MLS) at all if the right situation presented itself to me."

Due to personal reasons Hall chose not to play in Bermuda Under-23s double-header against Trinidad this week, but he plans to make himself available for upcoming competitions like the Olympic qualifiers.

"It was unfortunate I could not be apart of Bermuda Under-23s matches against Trinidad because of personal reasons. There are a number of competitions coming up like the Olympic qualifies and they (the Bermuda Football Association) have put a lot of focus on the Under-23 players."

Charlton Athletic are coached by Phil Parkinson and are currently second in League One.

Comments

• The Reading connection again, no doubt
  • Maybe Lookout or Chicago Addick can give us some local news on this.
  • Well I hope our Bermuda based Lifers at least sponsor his shirt.

And that a pre-season friendly in Bermuda is part of the transfer deal ; - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]The Reading connection again, no doubt

I thought that - strange how connections can be of use in the future isn't it - seems Parky has a pretty good network!
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]The Reading connection again, no doubt

Thanks.
    I was trying to figure out why Hislop would recommend him to us and missed the obvious. Parky would have played with him at Reading.
  • how do we know that Hislop didn't recommend him to other Clubs too but we were first to respond. Anyway, it's all bollox until on the OS.
  • The Bermuda Royal Gazette is the new OS
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Well I hope our Bermuda based Lifers at least sponsor his shirt.

I'll look out for it!
  • I know F. Hall about him...
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Well I hope our Bermuda based Lifers at least sponsor his shirt.

A Lifers coach trip, maybe?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Well I hope our Bermuda based Lifers at least sponsor his shirt.

A Lifers coach trip, maybe?

yeah, deffo. All crash round Lookie's place
  • edited December 2009
    A quickly researched and written piece here:

http://chicagoaddick.blogspot.com/2009/12/who-is-freddy-hall.html
  • Just dont get the plane
    -:)
  • I've heard he isn't too sharp with his narrowing down - apparently he is not keen on triangles.....
  • [cite]Posted By: Swisdom[/cite]I've heard he isn't too sharp with his narrowing down - apparently he is not keen on triangles.....

Funny you should say that. I heard he can go missing sometimes.
  • I'm quite excited by this. I'm a member of St Georges and coach one of the kids teams there. Never met Freddy, who as Chicago Addick pointed out plays most of his football in the US. Will see what I can find out from his uncle, who also played in goal for Bermuda. Great if it works out.
  • He only drinks shorts aswell....
  • can we really call someone who plays for bermuda " international " ?
  • [cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]can we really call someone who plays for bermuda " international " ?

I actually think he has only played at U23 level too.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: sillav nitram[/cite]can we really call someone who plays for bermuda " international " ?[/quote]

Bermuda have a FIFA ranking (142 out of 203) and play in world cup qualifiers in CONCACAF region, so would be fair to call them internationals.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Bermuda_red[/cite]I'm quite excited by this. I'm a member of St Georges and coach one of the kids teams there. Never met Freddy, who as Chicago Addick pointed out plays most of his football in the US. Will see what I can find out from his uncle, who also played in goal for Bermuda. Great if it works out.
    Who's his uncle? Was having a look in FM to see if he was in the game, he's not, but there is another 'keeper from Bermuda with the surname Hall.
  • Won't be replacing Randolph, at least not this season.
    Charlton manager Phil Parkinson told The South London Press: "He's (Hall) is not coming at the moment – the arrangement has been put back."

Apparently a quote from Parky. Says he'll be on trial here in May.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Won't be replacing Randolph, at least not this season.
    Charlton manager Phil Parkinson told The South London Press: "He's (Hall) is not coming at the moment – the arrangement has been put back."

Apparently a quote from Parky. Says he'll be on trial here in May.

Sounds ok, maybe more for future. unlike most footballers sounds like he has a good head on him eg. that he wants to finish school first before deciding anything, also quite a few good american goalkeepers usually and was 1 of 5 invited for trials but declined so he can have charlton trials in may

like the sound of him so dar, but bit too early to tell
  • Possibly dependant what divsion we're in, if we were to go up, i think Parky may want someone with more experience as back up and maybe we may have a little more money.
  • edited January 2010
    "was 1 of 5 invited for trials but declined so he can have charlton trials in may"

i read that as tho he turned down the MLS trials so he could trial with us but we've rumped him cos we've moved our trials!!