Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

My hot water is cold!

ARRRGGGHH!

There's water in the tank, the boiler turns on and the hot pipe from it feels hot but the pipe to the taps is cold and only cold water is coming out.

Any ideas?!

Comments

• Lol - how long you been in your new place?

Thats a couple of grand for a new boiler already!
  • Not very long...

Pretty sure they turned the hot water off and all I have to do is turn it back on somehow! Yesterday I manage to get water to come out of the hot tap which is a start!
  • Try the cold tap???
  • edited December 2009
    This is brilliant. I'm in stitches here :-)

edit: I've just seen the topic. TROUBLESHOOTING LOLOLOLOL
  • Is your hot water provided by an immersion heater in the h/w cylinder? If so, is it switched on?
  • I take it that's it's something very simple, could someone please help.
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: March51[/cite]Is your hot water provided by an immersion heater in the h/w cylinder? If so, is it switched on?
    Yeah, It's switched on. The pipe from it is warm so the boiler is clearly doing it's job.
  • probably a control / timer problem, check its not switched off there first
  • Maybe it's just cold because of the time of year (the water cools down as it flows through the icy cold pipes between the boiler and the tap)? That's what's happened at mine since the weather turned. No matter how long I leave the immersion on for, and how hot the boiler feels, I can only manage to half-fill a bath before the hot water turns lukewarm. Other times of the year I can fill a bath to the brim with boiling water (if I so desired). I'm just putting it down to the weather.
  • Problem solved, it was to do with an air lock in the hot water pipe. I fixed it by connecting the cold hose from the washing machine in to the hot valve under the sink which connects to the washing machine, then I turned on the valves and pushed the air lock out of the hot pipe!

I also thought that Charlton life was a helpful forum, this thread has been certainly been an eye opener, not sure how someone not having hot water can have you in the stitches stone.

Cheers to those who tried to help, I'm off to buy a mop which I'll follow with a nice warm bath!
  • Sponsored links:

• its a bit of fun you muppett
  • [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]its a bit of fun you muppett

Says Lord Cheery of Happytown!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]its a bit of fun you muppett[/quote]
    I know! I'm just a bit surprised with stone's post!

I've just filled up a whole sauce pan with water!
  • How long have you run the tap for?
  • Maybe its an air lock......ah just seen your latest post...;-)
  • If you have an airlock you need to bleed the system. Go to the nearest rad to the immersion or boiler and bleed the rad........ make sure that the rads are balanced by turning them off then on minus a small half turn.
    Check your expansion tank has sufficient water, and that there is not too much crap in it. Check the motors in the timing switches are working. Does not sound too bad but I am not a plumber but my son is...... goodluck mate
  • Cheers Ken, my heating is electric but I will check the tank.
  • Sorry FOD. I just thought it amusing as I'd just call a mate I thought could help if I had a problem I couldn't solve.

Glad you got it sorted anyway. :-)
  • If it's an air lock connect a hose from cold tap to hot tap and turn the cold tap on. This should force the water up the hot and remove the air lock.

Health warning - (I think I've done this before, but I'm certainly no plumber).
  • thats what he did cant you read ;-) LOL
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]thats what he did cant you read ;-) LOL

Yeah, but leave out the washing machine bit. Just do the hot and cold taps over the downstairs sink . :-)
  • edited December 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: northstandsteve[/cite]thats what he did cant you read ;-) LOL

Yeah, but leave out the washing machine bit. Just do the hot and cold taps over the downstairs sink . :-)
    That method would of involved a lot less mopping up, but I haven't got a hose!
  • Feck me you must have a spell to sort out Hot Water :-)
  • 'my hot water is cold'. Something curiously odd about that statement...
  • P.S Cold potatoes aren't hot...
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]Feck me you must have a spell to sort out Hot Water :-)

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh my god

i cant believe how much that made me laugh

my stomach is actually hurting
  • Move house NOW I think you may have an infestation of pixies!