Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

We are all quick to moan

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
But i would like to say well done to:
Greenwich Council well at least around Abbey Wood area roads have been gritted constantly even some side roads.

Also LU near on a normal day except the Central line problem but that was not weather related.

Comments

• I think the heaviest of todays snow fell at precisely the wrong time, just as rush hour got under way. It was chaos in Lewisham, buses were sliding all over the place, traffic was choc-a-bloc so there was no way any of the roads could have been gritted.

My only complaint is that no grit has been dumped anywhere near my house. Not on the roads but just a pile for people to use on their paths or on the pavements outside their houses.
  • Errr so do you live on a major causeway? I know I've been complaining but there are thousands of people and thousands of places I'd rather get the supplies than outside my front door. If you're scared of falling over don't go out or wear shoes/boots/trainers with grips and hold on to something/someone. If there was enough grit to go round then I'm sure we'd all have some delivered.
  • Get your household salt out and sprinkle that. That's what I did on the steps to my flat last time and bought more to replace it. We heard the forecasts and knew it was coming so we could have got big bags of salt and sorted ourselves out then instead of waiting for someone else to fix it for us and complain after.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]If there was enough grit to go round then I'm sure we'd all have some delivered.

...and I'm sure we'd never have been relegated.

Light dusting down here, that's all. Don't know what you're all moaning about ;-)
  • or like mean fill a bucket up with grit from the dispenser situated behind my house ;-) filled 2 buckets up yesterday and took them round my dear old nans last night so she can get out of her house.
  • suzi, why do you expect us to take any responsibility for ourselves?

what would we complain about if we accepted that we might have some ability to act for ourselves?

PS dishwasher salt is better than table salt. A shovel and some proper boots also come in handy.
  • Cat Litter works
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]I think the heaviest of todays snow fell at precisely the wrong time, just as rush hour got under way. It was chaos in Lewisham, buses were sliding all over the place, traffic was choc-a-bloc so there was no way any of the roads could have been gritted.

My only complaint is that no grit has been dumped anywhere near my house. Not on the roads but just a pile for people to use on their paths or on the pavements outside their houses.

I seem to recall that years ago there were grit dispensers around the place in Eltham that residents used to use to salt their own pavements (not just the bit outside their own houses). I'm sure I remember my dad and a load of the neighbours gritting the pavement in out=r road.
  • I would also like to say well done to the Canterbury council and Shepway as Kent is fine so far aparently ment to get worse tonight but nothing so far.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]Get your household salt out and sprinkle that. That's what I did on the steps to my flat last time and bought more to replace it. We heard the forecasts and knew it was coming so we could have got big bags of salt and sorted ourselves out then instead of waiting for someone else to fix it for us and complain after.
    Fine and dandy unless you have any business outside of your own property, unless you're proposing I go out with a binbag full of salt over my shoulder like some salty santa clause, merrily sprinkling it in my path as I skip along to deliver all the good boys and girls a salty treat?

I used the old fashioned method and shovelled it off my path, but to be honest with you I'm obviously a bit of a want want want layabout, because I think that the people that are responsible for maintaining public highways - that I pay handsomely for in road and council tax, might want to take a smidgeon of responsibility. I'm guessing that you and I and others on here weren't party to some classified information about these conditions (checking the stats it actually gets chilly around this time every year), so maybe certain "service" "providers" might have been a bit more pro-active. Just a thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cannot talk about Greenwich, but Bexley council gritted our small close before 7am this morning...... which is surprising as before xmas I received an email after I had fallen over on the pavement on sheet ice ( yes i emailed them about the road) that they did not grit side roads and pavements.... council directive....... which is reassuring to know that perhaps the council have 'revised' there original policy! And the refuse came on time too, so yes well done! especially to the guys who came on time and did a good job. The pavements were clear before I went to the station.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley_floyd_red[/cite]My only complaint is that no grit has been dumped anywhere near my house. Not on the roads but just a pile for people to use on their paths or on the pavements outside their houses.
    I'm told that the idea of some of the grit dumping was for street sweepers to then shovel it about on their rounds which makes a lot of sense, except a lot of people assumed it was for self service gritting and made off with it before the sweepers got there. One abslute fking numbnuts near me has gritted every centimetre of his path - a fairly impressive feat, if I'm honest - so he can dance along it with gay abandon in a pair of slippers if he so chooses. His only minor problem will come when he gets past his own front gate and finds himself skating around on an icy hill, hopefully to his death, thus satisfying both Darwin and me.
  • My wife is very quick to moan, but I might have strayed onto a different thread/forum by mistake
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    I used the old fashioned method and shovelled it off my path, but to be honest with you I'm obviously a bit of a want want want layabout, because I think that the people that are responsible for maintaining public highways - that I pay handsomely for in road and council tax, might want to take a smidgeon of responsibility. I'm guessing that you and I and others on here weren't party to some classified information about these conditions (checking the stats it actually gets chilly around this time every year), so maybe certain "service" "providers" might have been a bit more pro-active. Just a thought.

FYI I work in a LA dept that also has responsibility for refuse & cleansing and in light of the forecasts and icy conditions we've already had, many of these drivers are now out gritting the roads and pavements from before 6:00am to late at night. Great job they are doing to, freezing their bit's off in all weathers to make the roads and pavements safe for the rest of us (for about than £14k a year but I digress...) however I can 100% guarantee you that, whatever the weather, even if there's a foot of snow covering every road in the place, tomorrow morning a colleague of mine will spend several hours being abused by the great British public because their bin hasn't been emptied. You really can't win...
  • The amount of council tax I pay I expect someone to be here to lick he snow off my shoes when I get in
  • well how would you like it if youd been left behind!!!
  • The Heights is lethal today.
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]The amount of council tax I pay I expect someone to be here to lick he snow off my shoes when I get in

The case for the prosecution rests m'lord...
  • [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]The amount of council tax I pay I expect someone to be here to lick he snow off my shoes when I get in

Buy a dog and don't give it any water.
  • [cite]Posted By: DaveMehmet[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: C.Walsh'sLoveChild[/cite]The amount of council tax I pay I expect someone to be here to lick he snow off my shoes when I get in

Buy a dog and don't give it any water.

....and then leave its shit for the council to pick up.