Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

PC help

Any help appreciated,

Whenever I click on a link that opens another box my computer freezes/internet crashes.

cheers if anyone can advise.

Comments

• Don't click on any links that open other boxes
  • try 'system restore' if you're using XP. Just restore your PC to a time before the problem occured. Then use housecall to scan your pc for any nasties. Best of luck.

S.
  • you haven't just upgraded to ie7 have you?
  • No havent upgraded and tried system restore but have moved recentley and cant remember when it first occured!!!

What is housecall??

cheers again
  • just keep going back is the only answer I'm afraid, till it works.

First port of call would be spyware checker though, housecall must be one of those, or you can download a trial of NAV security suite which picked up all kinds of stuff when I last did that.
  • Make sure your anti-virus and anti-spyware is upto date, then you could try installing and running all of the following free software:

Windows Defender
    AVG anti-spyware
    Ad-Aware (v1.6.1 I think, not the latest which may not be free anymore)
    Spyblaster
    SpyBot Search and Destroy

If you still have problems you could install and run HijackThis and post the log on a forum where someone will help you out eg. CastleCops:
    http://www.castlecops.com/f67-Hijackthis_Spyware_Viruses_Worms_Trojans_Oh_My.html

It worked for me, I had a couple of nasty viruses which they sorted over for me.
  • I've got Vista Home Premium on my laptop at home. I had a Norton free subscription for 90 days when I bought it but that has now expired and I haven't renewed it. Do I need to have additional anti-virus and anti-spyware software or does Vista Home Premium have this sort of protection built in?

If I do need additional software, which one should i choose and how much does it cost?

Thanks
  • You can get free anti-virus and free anti-spyware from AVG which seems to be good.
    Zonealarm provide a good free firewall.
    Could probably go for Windows Defender as well - which is some free any-spyware software from Microsoft.
  • Oh and you could try Firefox or Opera instead of IE.
    Easy to install.
  • Sponsored links:

• OK, old thread but new problem. Was trying to watch a downloaded program from iPlayer last night on my "powerful" laptop.

Picture was juddery and slow. Not a bandwidth problem as i'd downloaded it on to my hard drive.

Also have the same problem when playing movies on iTunes and watching movies taken on my camcorder.

Any ideas as to why quality is poor? What I can do

It's running Vista (crap I know) - 3gb memory, Core 2 due T5800 running at 2ghz. Nvidia on-board graphics (256mb)
  • sounds like either a display driver issue (check the device manager within control panel to make sure there are no yellow ! on items) or could be a a issue with the codecs on your machine - I will try to find the link to the ones you prob need....
  • try a system restore in case anything has been altered without you knowing it?
  • [cite]Posted By: Duck-Killer Brown[/cite]sounds like either a display driver issue (check the device manager within control panel to make sure there are no yellow ! on items) or could be a a issue with the codecs on your machine - I will try to find the link to the ones you prob need....

Driver up to date, no yellow triangles. May have too many programmes running?
  • everyone comes to Dave for PC help..

;-)
  • Mrs BDL is not amused and is also after you Adam - Just watch your back now. She's angry!
  • edited January 2010

[quote][cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Mrs BDL is not amused and is also after you Adam - Just watch your back now. She's angry![/quote]

• grave-diggers-peshawar-pakistan.jpg

Keep digging Adam, she's not happy, not happy at all - And I haven't shown her the photo of Madge yet!
  • BDL, I'm still running XP, so can't give you Vista specific advice, but does it still have Task Manager? If it does, have a look at the performance tab to see the CPU usage befor and after you try playing the video. It may be there are a bunch of processes you've got set to start up whe you load the PC that are hogging the system resources. One thing you could try is making sure you aren't connected to the internet, and disabling you antivirus, for the duration of playing the video