Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Willie Mitchell RIP

Willie Mitchell, who has died aged 81, was an icon of Memphis music. As producer, arranger and sometimes co-writer, he moulded the careers of the soul singers OV Wright, Otis Clay, Ann Peebles and, especially, Al Green.

Out of his shabby studio at 1320 South Lauderdale came Wright's A Nickel and a Nail, Peebles's I Can't Stand the Rain and I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down, Syl Johnson's Take Me to the River, and Green's Let's Stay Together – recordings now regarded as imperishable classics of soul music.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    RIP Willie.

You've been taken to the river....
  • Was he Phil and Grant Mitchell's grandad in East Enders?
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Willie Mitchell, who has died aged 81, was an icon of Memphis music. As producer, arranger and sometimes co-writer, he moulded the careers of the soul singers OV Wright, Otis Clay, Ann Peebles and, especially, Al Green.

Out of his shabby studio at 1320 South Lauderdale came Wright's A Nickel and a Nail, Peebles's I Can't Stand the Rain and I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down, Syl Johnson's Take Me to the River, and Green's Let's Stay Together – recordings now regarded as imperishable classics of soul music.

and he's called Willie (fnar fnar)