Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Laptop Help Please!

edited January 2010 in Troubleshooting
Right i have a toshiba laptop, unsure of model as at work. basically original charger about 2 months ago stopped working as the wire had cut and started to spark, so i have replaced with a multi-adapter charger which up to last week was fine....

Now will not charge even though says its charging, so stays on 1% the whole time so have to keep the lead in.

I have spoken to a couple of people and it has been suggested, as i keep plugged in the whole time regardless of use and the plug on, basically i have killed the battery

If this is true, would i be best to replace the battery only? or can it be fixed? or equally i hear a replacement would cost about £100 so shall i just stump up more and get a new laptop? although my laptop is only 14months old

Any help would be appreciated :-)

Comments

• have you taken the battery out completely and reseated it?

its probably knackered, although shop around a bit you might find a cheaper one
  • edited January 2010
    [cite]Posted By: razil[/cite]have you taken the battery out completely and reseated it?

its probably knackered, although shop around a bit you might find a cheaper one

I haven't no, im not very technical lol i will have a look at doing that then as could be worth a try thanks!
  • Damn jus tried re-seating my battery and hasn't sorted it, anyone give me any advice on this at all?

I was thinking maybe take into Pc World tomorrow and see if they can have a quick look on my lunch
  • If your laptop works fine while plugged in but stops working while unplugged it's likely that either your laptop battery is bad or your laptop is not charging the battery properly.

Not sure how useful PC World will be but if you get the right person you'll be ok, some of them are not that good.

I'd agree with Razil, looks like your battery has gone.
  • Ask PC world if they can try and charge your battery. One way or another, you will know the problem.
  • Yep....you have a knackered battery for sure.

A bit late now I know, but it is advisable to let the battery completely drain pretty frequently on all modern
    computer, phone etc type equipment.

Failure to do so kills the battery after time.

If you put the laptop model number in a search engine you will find replacement (probably third party batteries) much
    cheaper than you think.
  • Do you know anyone with a multimetre or an electrical tester? I have one if your local (shootershill) its simple to test the battery, I cooked the battery on my first laptop (which it sounds like you have), the best thing with batteries you should always fully discharge it before charging it as Suedeadidas has said, leaving it charging or opportunity charging will do more harm than good. Dont give your money to PC world.
  • JB when you switch on the computer next time, keep hitting the f2 button as it is booting up, you should be able to see the system details pop up and be able to check the battery diagnostics by tabbing down on the menu.
  • [cite]Posted By: No.1 in South London[/cite]JB when you switch on the computer next time, keep hitting the f2 button as it is booting up, you should be able to see the system details pop up and be able to check the battery diagnostics by tabbing down on the menu.

I will give it a go matey, but probably tomorrow now seen as its a school night :-)

Thanks everyone else for getting back to me and Sure, i will definately do that if all else still fails as cant be dealing with 1%battery the whole time! lets hope its not too expensive!