Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mo (Mowlem)

edited January 2010 in Not Sports Related
Just watch the docu-drama with Julie Walters playing Mo Mowlem.

What an incredible portrayal. I think that Walters is quite simply the best dramatic actress around. So much depth to her characterization of Mowlem. It is no wonder that some of Mowlem's colleagues gave her a standing ovation at a recent screening.

Interesting historical stuff about the negotiations leading up to the Good Friday Agreement.

It left me with a feeling of why some people burn so brightly yet their flame is too soon extinguished.

Comments

• It's a no from me, but julie walters 20 years ago, maybe
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Just watch the docu-drama with Julie Walters playing Mo Mowlem.

What an incredible portrayal. I think that Walters is quite simply the best dramatic actress around. So much depth to her characterization of Mowlem. It is no wonder that some of Mowlem's colleagues gave her a standing ovation at a recent screening.

Interesting historical stuff about the negotiations leading up to the Good Friday Agreement.

It left me with a feeling of why some people burn so brightly yet their flame is to soon extinguished.[/quote]

There have been some great documentaries on the end of the troubles in NI and from what I have seen Mo Mowlem played a crucial role in keeping the whole thing together when it all looked like going off the rails.

She was admired by Loyalists and Republicans for her honesty and straightforward nature.

Taken far, far too soon.
  • Great script, great acting... Thank god we have channel 4 in this country. Imagine tele without it.
  • edited February 2010
    4 on demand

I'll be watching it tonight.

R.I.P. Mo
  • Well written and superb acting, we need a few Mo's among our politicians of today
  • Inspiring and sad on a number of levels. That her personality issues/her illness should have co-incided with the need for somebody special to draw the process of reconciliation in Northern Ireland together was one of those remarkable moments in history.

Sadly for her, she crossed swords with an even tougher opponent than Messers McGuiness, Adams, Paisley, Trimble etc in one Peter Mandelson.

If you are interested in recent political history, this is a must watch and the portrayal of her is remarkable.
  • edited February 2010
    [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]Inspiring and sad on a number of levels. That her personality issues/her illness should have co-incided with the need for somebody special to draw the process of reconciliation in Northern Ireland together was one of those remarkable moments in history.

Sadly for her, she crossed swords with an even tougher opponent than Messers McGuiness, Adams, Paisley, Trimble etc in one Peter Mandelson.

If you are interested in recent political history, this is a must watch and the portrayal of her is remarkable.

Very true Bing, poor old Mo got turned over by the only woman in the cabinet tougher than her!!!
  • It flitted about far too much in the 1st half. Julie Walters and the guy playing John Reid were outstanding.

Im glad Mandy got it in the neck at the end. Hes everything thats wrong with politics.
  • Haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the show but have Sky plussed it and will watch later in the week.

Her downfall was caused by the fact she was even more popular with voters than the smug, public school type who was in front of the Iraq inquiry on Friday. (That's Paul Green's opinion by the way and not the News Shopper's!).
  • About the only politician of recent times i've respected. She appeared genuine and not just in it for herself. Maybe that's why she was treated so badly and not liked by the others. Don't you just love politics.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]It flitted about far too much in the 1st half. Julie Walters and the guy playing John Reid were outstanding.

Im glad Mandy got it in the neck at the end. Hes everything thats wrong with politics.

Problem is he is back and Deputy God now!
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]It flitted about far too much in the 1st half. Julie Walters and the guy playing John Reid were outstanding.

R U sure it was John Reid? Thought that the name was Adam and he was a Gers season ticket holder - so cannae be Reid???
  • I watched it again and frankly Julie Walters is so convincing as Mo that I really found myself feeling that I was watching the real person - spooky.

I have to say well done to Channel Four for commissioning it. There are some outstanding television programmes made in this country. The BBC has many faults but it does stand as a yardstick for the other broadcasters to measure against.

On Mo Mowlem herself she had the common touch and an ability to get people to like her.

When Labour came to power in 97, there was such a wave of optimism that the old guard had been swept away for good and in were the new guys, people like us with a mission to serve. Yes the Mandys of this world were brooding in the background. Old Labour in the form of Prescott was still there but the new guard of Blair and his babes, plus Cook and Short and above all Mowlem were like a breath of fresh air.

Now where are we? Blair has departed the scene and to many has blood on his hands. Short has left the party, Cook and dear Mo are no longer with us. We are left the grim reaper as Prime Minister and his clown of a chancellor yet who still stalks the Houses of Parliament with more influence than ever - One P Mandelson - queen of all he surveys.
  • [cite]Posted By: bingaddick[/cite]I watched it again and frankly Julie Walters is so convincing as Mo that I really found myself feeling that I was watching the real person - spooky.

I have to say well done to Channel Four for commissioning it. There are some outstanding television programmes made in this country. The BBC has many faults but it does stand as a yardstick for the other broadcasters to measure against.

On Mo Mowlem herself she had the common touch and an ability to get people to like her.

When Labour came to power in 97, there was such a wave of optimism that the old guard had been swept away for good and in were the new guys, people like us with a mission to serve. Yes the Mandys of this world were brooding in the background. Old Labour in the form of Prescott was still there but the new guard of Blair and his babes, plus Cook and Short and above all Mowlem were like a breath of fresh air.

Now where are we? Blair has departed the scene and to many has blood on his hands. Short has left the party, Cook and dear Mo are no longer with us. We are left the grim reaper as Prime Minister and his clown of a chancellor yet who still stalks the Houses of Parliament with more influence than ever - One P Mandelson - queen of all he surveys.

They ran out of steam and ideas, Bing, simple as that really.

All political movements have a shelf-life of around a decade and then they fall away because people want something different.

The "Reagan Revolution" ran out of steam in the US in 1992 when Clinton easily beat Bush senior after 12 years of Republican rule and the Tories, after winning power in 1979, should have lost in 1992 and probably would have if anyone but poor old Neil Kinnock was Labour leader.

Similarly, Blair took over in 1997 and by the time he stepped down in 2007 the public had grown tired of New Labour and wanted them out - although there is still little enthusiasm for the Tories amongst the electorate when you look at Cameron's poll numbers compared to Blair's in 1997.

The wheel will, of course, turn again - it always does - and my tip is that William Hague will overturn Cameron within 3-5 years as Tory PM and will mistakenly take them to the right and the scales will eventually tip back to Labour again.
  • Yes OA you are of course right. The hope engendered by new political masters doesn't last that long as in opposition you define your position to a large extent by what the ruling party has or hasn't done. If you sense the popular wind is on one side, you can tack into it. When in Govt, you may have to steer away from the popular wind and into the teeth of a gale. Look at what has happened to Obama in pretty swift time.

I just feel sad at the loss of hope.
  • Must watch this on catch up or whatever.

We really haven't got a lot to complain about in this country (whoever is in power). But we do and will. We don't know what real hardship is (fortunately).
  • [cite]Posted By: News Shopper[/cite]Haven't seen it yet so can't comment on the show but have Sky plussed it and will watch later in the week.

Her downfall was caused by the fact she was even more popular with voters than the smug, public school type who was in front of the Iraq inquiry on Friday. (That's Paul Green's opinion by the way and not the News Shopper's!).
    Nice disclaimer!

Brilliant portrayal as has been previously mentioned, but I'm a bit confused as to why her husband was painting in the nude?!
  • Sorry to piss on St mo's parade and to talk ill of the dead. But having been to stormont and discussed the peace process and her part in it with people involved, I am told she was not a very popular person, had to be helped through the simplest of details (granted her illness probably contributed) and almost led to the talks being abandoned on a number of occasions due to her perceived pro republican stance. She is not remembered so fondly in northern Ireland and her illness and subsequent death seem to have glossed over her weaknesses and the reality of her abilities. Most of the credit apparently lies with tony Blair according to some who were very closely involved and in attendance at a number of the meetings that took place.
  • I don't know a lot about what went on at the time but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that regardless of Mo Mowlam's influence, a portion of whatever credit came Tony Blairs way was engineered by himself!

Incidentally, and I expect to be in a minority here, but I've never really rated Julie Walters as an actress. Tendency to over-act i always feel. Enjoyed the Mo show however, but whenever I looked at the Mo Mowlam character, I just saw Julie Walters.
  • [cite]Posted By: Steve Dowman[/cite]Sorry to piss on St mo's parade and to talk ill of the dead. But having been to stormont and discussed the peace process and her part in it with people involved, I am told she was not a very popular person, had to be helped through the simplest of details (granted her illness probably contributed) and almost led to the talks being abandoned on a number of occasions due to her perceived pro republican stance. She is not remembered so fondly in northern Ireland and her illness and subsequent death seem to have glossed over her weaknesses and the reality of her abilities. Most of the credit apparently lies with tony Blair according to some who were very closely involved and in attendance at a number of the meetings that took place.

Steve, not wishing to doubt what you say for one minute because I know in Unionist circles she wasn't popular because I have heard Trimble moaning about her. It is hardly surprising that much of the male dominated world of Union/Loyalism couldn't stand her.

I think though it is naive of them to claim that she was pro-Republican and that it was all down to Blair. As this film shows and I have heard this from other sources, there was a need for her to play a particular tune and Blair to play a slightly different one. It was the combination of efforts - the planets all aligning together if you will at the same time that brought this about and she played a huge part.

I believe that Blair promised Trimble that he would remove her when the parties became deadlocked after power sharing began on the question of decommissioning. She became a sacrificial lamb and was replaced by Mandelson. (One wonders what they made of him).