Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Racon at corners

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Forget the fact that he manages to find hopeless positions on the field which guarantee that the ball will mostly pass him by. And forget that he runs fast towards an opponent on the ball and then slows as he approaches so that the ball will have been passed and he won't have to tackle or intercept. And forget that the only time he tries to challenge for the ball is when there is another Charlton player nearby who is more likely to win it. What I would really like to know is what the hell is the 'tactic' at every corner we win where he takes up a position in the centre of the goalmouth, then just before the kick is taken he runs in a semi-circle, ending up roughly near the D? Now, I suppose it might be argued that he is trying to drag a defender away with him, except that no defender ever gives a toss what he's done and is never enticed into following him on his little walkabout. The other explanation might be that he is taking up a position where he will be able to take advantage of any loose ball that comes out to him and send a killer shot streaking through the crowd of players into the net. Hmmn, not bad - but can anyone remember him actually sending one of these killer shots in, let alone scoring from one of them? The other possibility is that yet again he is hiding. Now, don't get me wrong - I think that he is a player with technical skill whom I liked a lot at first, and that he played well at the beginning of the season. Since his lay-off, though, he seems to have lost all desire to get on the ball and do something with it, despite what he says about himself in the programme on Saturday. His petulant reaction when he was substituted was the most positive and aggressive thing I have seen him do for months. If only he showed such passion on the field. And if any player continues to live on his reputation from earlier, it is Racon. He manages to bamboozle our manager who continues to pick him and some fans who regularly tell me he has been our best player during a match when he has strung together about two or three useful passes. Bah, humbug. Give a dog a good name and he can live on it for a long time, it seems.

Comments

• Have we found a new scapegoat? Is Mooney's turn over?
  • If he's doing it every time, it's more than likely he's been told to.
  • edited March 2010
    Bloody hell shall we moan at Semedo's finishing ability while we're at it? Theres a lot more pressing issues than what Racon does at corners and I think what he was doing ended up working as it made space for someone to run into which nearly worked on a few occasions, hitting the bar twice!
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Nadou[/cite]
    .......but can anyone remember him actually sending one of these killer shots in, let alone scoring from one of them?

My turn.

About a month ago - Bristol Rovers away ....?
  • edited March 2010
    This tactic at corners has been going on for most of the season. Semedo was doing the semi-circular run when Racon was out of the team. It's clearly an instruction from the management team.

Presumably it is designed to drag a defender away from the action and to create space at the front of the six-yard box (where, as we all know, 75% of corners end up). Sadly, the tactic is now entirely predictable as we use it at every single corner - hence, no-one on the opposition gives a toss.

I wouldn't blame Racon ... or Semedo ... or any of the players who may have been given this task.
  • racon was one of our best players the other day, as he should be given his ability and probably high wages.
  • be careful what you write his mum might be reading
  • Like you I rated him at first but the more I see of him he just looks more and more limited. Skillful yes but he's only looked very good to me in a 451 and that was mainly last season. Just seems a tidy and skillful player that doesn't score very often, create chances and can't really defend too well.

I'd rather see Shelvey in central midfield, works harder, more likely to score or create a chance and gives us a set piece taker. Shelvey might inexperienced and make mistakes defensively, but Racon is barely any better, if at all.

Said it before, I just don't know what his job is in the team. With the rest of the midfielders it's clear, with Racon it's not. I wouldn't call him a box to box midfielder, so what is?
  • I think Racon is quite a decent player for us. It could even be argued he is suffering from having to cover Sam when Sam keeps going missing from his right wing, meaning he has no out-ball.

He does also create things, little flick header to Mooney in the 1st half which sent him through on goal, tried a searching pass which also just got cut out I tihnk to Burton and he also gave the ball to Mooney to score the 2nd goal. He can't really create something out of nothing when Akpo is up front who can't control or make intelligent runs and Mooney more often or not gets brushed off the ball.

Though I agree with Sco 4-5-1 is the way to go, that way we could get the best out of Racon and Shelvey, though Bailey is also probably the best in the centre as well
  • That was a shot from Racon in the second half that Mooney controlled and put in! Not a pass! :)
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]He does also create things, little flick header to Mooney in the 1st half which sent him through on goal, tried a searching pass which also just got cut out I tihnk to Burton and he also gave the ball to Mooney to score the 2nd goal. He can't really create something out of nothing when Akpo is up front who can't control or make intelligent runs and Mooney more often or not gets brushed off the ball.
    Not saying he never creates anything, but over the season Sam, Reid and Shelvey generally create more than Racon does. Fair point we haven't got good strikers, but they've still scored a few goals each and missed decent chances. I wasn't there Saturday so don't know what he created then.

He's just turned out not to be too good for this league like we hoped he would be.
  • I think Racon has been getting a lot of unfair stick of late and I'm not quite sure why.. It's all about opinions of course, but for me he was one of the better players at both Millwall and again this Saturday.. He gets the ball down on the ground and looks to use it wisely - rather than just hammering it forward or on some mis-placed cross field ball... for me at least the bloke it trying to play football... I and the group of people around me couldn't believe that he subbed on Sat - would much rather have taken Sam off who - yet again - kept coming inside, clogging up the middle of the pitch and leaving wide open space down the wing (where the winger should play)...(altho this thread not about Sam, so will stop there!).

Would definitely like to see Jonjo back playing again, but also am aware that it wasn't so long ago that he was getting a lot of stick on here for 'not being good enough/making too many mistakes'...
  • Fair point he does always try and play good football on the ground, that's something he is better at than most. Though at times he ends up trying to play his way out of trouble than clearing the ball or doing the simple thing.

I think a lot of the critisism is down to the expectations many had for him, like I said many hoped he'd be too good for this league, which he has shown he isn't.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charlton Charlie[/cite]I think Racon has been getting a lot of unfair stick of late and I'm not quite sure why.. It's all about opinions of course, but for me he was one of the better players at both Millwall and again this Saturday.. He gets the ball down on the ground and looks to use it wisely - rather than just hammering it forward or on some mis-placed cross field ball... for me at least the bloke it trying to play football... I and the group of people around me couldn't believe that he subbed on Sat - would much rather have taken Sam off who - yet again - kept coming inside, clogging up the middle of the pitch and leaving wide open space down the wing (where the winger should play)...(altho this thread not about Sam, so will stop there!).

Would definitely like to see Jonjo back playing again, but also am aware that it wasn't so long ago that he was getting a lot of stick on here for 'not being good enough/making too many mistakes'...

100% agree. IMO he's been playing better than Bailey and Sam lately but obviously Bailey is not going to be dropped, and we are short of options on the right if Sam goes off, whilst if we are playing Semedo against a half decent team, we need his ability to break up play. Jonjo has never impressed me playing centre midfield, needs to be in the hole.

Play 4-5-1 with Akpo leading the line, Shelvey in the hole, Racon in the middle, with Semedo further back and Bailey and Reid as the (in Bailey's case, not so) wide attacking players.
  • Find it quite depressing that its so obvious Bailey wont be dropped - he was terrible on saturday. Who knows, might give him a bit of fire back to have to watch from the bench.