Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Huddersfield Town V Charlton Athletic 29/12/1999

Comments

• We also beat them 7-6 decades ago B-)

From being 5-1 down B-)
  • I know, just thought this might be more appropriate as I seem to recall us going on quite a decent run after this game - and then getting promoted of course....
  • I remember watching that on Sky.

Looking back, we had four Premier League standard players in Kiely, Rufus, Powell and Kinsella and some good Championship (Division 1 at the time) players in the rest of the side.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I remember watching that on Sky.

Looking back, we had four Premier League standard players in Kiely, Rufus, Powell and Kinsella and some good Championship (Division 1 at the time) players in the rest of the side.

Yes, right through the core of the team too. Great team. More likely to be passionless play that costs us this time round though.
  • edited March 2010
    Went to this game with Oakster, Charlton Charlie, Romford Addick & A.N Other who will remain nameless. A.N Other was having a little trouble with the sauce at the time and I remember his only contribution to the day was to point out an open pub as we drove towards the ground. CC tried an intervention as A.N other sunk straight vodka at the bar at 10am!!!.

We had grand plans of taking in 3 games in the day - Rochdale at 3pm and if I am correct Kettering Town at 7.45.....we got stuck in a terrible traffic jam after the game so ended up going home. I'm sure we got stuck in traffic as A.N other was chucking up in the toilets.

Cracking strike from Robbo.

Hi-lights of the day were CC shouting at Kiely whilst he was doing his pre-match prayer and the resultant daggers he got and watching some nothern monkey run down the steps in the main stand to give it to us, he slipped and stacked it down about 20 steps - laughed so much it hurt.

Think it had been snowing that morning.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I remember watching that on Sky.

Yes, right through the core of the team too. Great team. More likely to be passionless play that costs us this time round though.
    Was more trying to point out that while everyone remembers that team being passionate and hard working, we had a lot of quality for the division we were in. That team were by far more about just being organised and working hard.

You could say those four players were too good for the Championship, you couldn't say any of our players are too good for League One.
  • "such was the effectiveness of Charlton's swift, close-quarter passing."
    Would like some of that now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]I remember watching that on Sky.

Was more trying to point out that while everyone remembers that team being passionate and hard working, we had a lot of quality for the division we were in. That team were by far more about just being organised and working hard.

You could say those four players were too good for the Championship, you couldn't say any of our players are too good for League One.

Very true. Kiely and Kinsella in particular were great finds from Curbs and were virtual unknowns before they joined us. I'd put John Robinson in that bracket too as he think he proved he was more than capable of playing in the Premier League. Of the current squad I would say only Elliot and Bailey are good enough to play in the Championship. I think Parky made a fair point the other day about not having any money to put a decent team together but the early teams that Curbs built were also put together on a very small budget. Perhaps we should have sold Jonjo in January if he wasn't going to play him and used some of the money to bolster our squad.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think Parky made a fair point the other day about not having any money to put a decent team together but the early teams that Curbs built were also put together on a very small budget.
    Curbs did do that over time to be fair to Parky. We've come down two divisions in 3 years and he's had to try and build a squad to challenge straight away. He also had no transfer budget, just a wage budget that we had to keep as small as possible.
  • Theres no reason why we cant win this game but it looks very unlikely will be a fun weekend though.