Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Those with Pro-Contracts...and those without

WSSWSS
edited March 2010 in General Charlton
I know it's on the Bronley thread, but it is deserving of its own.

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=35838

Comments

• Charlton will offer professional contracts to Tamer Tuna, Yado Mambo, Ben Davisson, Carl Jenkinson and Lewis Perkins, the club announced on Wednesday.

Five of the club's crop of nine second-year scholars received the good news from Addicks boss Phil Parkinson and academy manager Steve Gritt on Tuesday afternoon.

But Jack Binks, Jordan Anderson, Liam Bellamy and Harry Pell will all leave the club after the end of their scholarships in the summer.
  • No real surprises there, Perkins may have been likened to Godfrey (where is he now btw?), but has been in the 1st team squad. Also if we stay down, I think we need all the strikers we can get.

The fact Binks is set to leave suggest maybe a loan keeper will come in as why would be risk having a keeper on the bench that is not rated good enough for League 1.
  • Like I said in the Bromley thread, it was one of the best groups we've had in years. For 6 out of 9 (Anderson was signed last summer, Shelvey also came through with them) of them to get pro contracts is very good. It's partly because we're in League One of course, plus having 7 subs gives them more opportunities, but still it's good to see.
  • Not that I would know about their abilities but I just hope we haven't released another George Boyd or Chris Smalling.
  • Seems to me a fair take up, I have not seen enough of this squad to comment with authority, but I had heard that Pell was as they say more of a probable than a possible.
    As others have posted must be dreadful to let lads go at this stage of there life.
    And of course there are those that will still make it, and come back to bite us........But that is football, and at least they have had a positive experience at Charlton, however short.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I know it's on the Bronley thread, but it is deserving of its own.

If anyone else had started a thread with info already mentioned in another post, you'd have sunk it. One rule for you, and another for the rest of us! ;-)
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I know it's on the Bronley thread, but it is deserving of its own.

If anyone else had started a thread with info already mentioned in another post, you'd have sunk it. One rule for you, and another for the rest of us! ;-)

too true. Power corrupts

and he's not stickied the quiz. Standards going to the dogs.
  • shame no-one has been able to offer those involved either congratulations or commiserations. Ah well.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]shame no-one has been able to offer those involved either congratulations or commiserations. Ah well.

Too busy have a dig at someone about those who've gone even though more players have been kept on from this group than for many a year.
  • true, but are they the right ones ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I speak to Harry Pell quite a bit and he should off got a contract, he scored several goes in as many games at Hastings, done well in the reserves and is a great player and I wish him all the best.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]I speak to Harry Pell quite a bit and he should off got a contract, he scored several goes in as many games at Hastings, done well in the reserves and is a great player and I wish him all the best.
    I'll let Steve Gritt judge but:

a) Hastings is vastly different to L1
    b) We don't have a reserve team
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]I speak to Harry Pell quite a bit and he should off got a contract, he scored several goes in as many games at Hastings, done well in the reserves and is a great player and I wish him all the best.

Pell, and to a lesser extent Bellamy, is the one that has surprised me. As you say he has done well at Hastings and has physical presence too, something many Charlton players seem to lack.
  • I think they probably consider how much competition they'll have, if there's too much they simply won't get an opportunity and they're better off at another club.

Last year Sam Long was the one people thought might stay, but with Solly in front of him he probably wouldn't have got on the bench very often.

Could be the thinking with Pell or Bellamy perhaps. At the moment at least, we have a lot of central midfielders and two right wingers.
  • Ben Godfrey is at Croydon Athletic now cafcdan18.
  • I think sometimes young players are released too early. I would guess the board limit how many are offered pro contracts and that is probably out of Gritt's hands.I do not think the first team manager should have much say in who stays and who goes with the final decision being left with Steve Gritt and the rest of the academy staff. After all, they know these young players better than the manager. Not every player is ready at 16/17 for first team football like Bowyer, Parker, Konchesky and Shelvey were and can take time to develop. There has been too many players in recent years released or sold too soon in their Charlton careers that have come back to haunt us.
  • [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think sometimes young players are released too early. I would guess the board limit how many are offered pro contracts and that is probably out of Gritt's hands.I do not think the first team manager should have much say in who stays and who goes with the final decision being left with Steve Gritt and the rest of the academy staff. After all, they know these young players better than the manager. Not every player is ready at 16/17 for first team football like Bowyer, Parker, Konchesky and Shelvey were and can take time to develop. There has been too many players in recent years released or sold too soon in their Charlton careers that have come back to haunt us.

Kevin Lisbie for Colchester but who else apart from him?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]I think sometimes young players are released too early. I would guess the board limit how many are offered pro contracts and that is probably out of Gritt's hands.I do not think the first team manager should have much say in who stays and who goes with the final decision being left with Steve Gritt and the rest of the academy staff. After all, they know these young players better than the manager. Not every player is ready at 16/17 for first team football like Bowyer, Parker, Konchesky and Shelvey were and can take time to develop. There has been too many players in recent years released or sold too soon in their Charlton careers that have come back to haunt us.

Kevin Lisbie for Colchester but who else apart from him?

Shittu, Turner, MacDonald, Boyd, Smalling...
  • Campbell Ryce to a lesser extent
  • Jason Brown, now at Blackburn is another one
  • Sponsored links:

• Turner, Shittu, Campbell-Ryce and Brown weren't released too early, they got pro contracts (think Brown did, not sure) but got to around 20/21 and wanted (needed, in fact) first team football. They were around when we were a Prem club and if they were coming through now would have got their chance. They had plenty of time but have benefited from leaving and developing in League One, then the Championship.

Boyd yes that was a mistake, not sure what happened there.

Wasn't Smalling only on trial here? But yes it's a shame the club didn't give him a chance.

In some cases players also improve their attitudes once they leave. It takes rejection for them to realise they aren't doing enough.

General point is right, not every player is ready at 16/17, most aren't, but we actually haven't made too many mistakes at all.

Glenn Hoddle agrees with you, his academy in Spain is for players that were released at this age, as he believes some just need another year to develop. Will be true in some cases.
  • But at the time it I would argue it was the right decision to release/sell all of them, with the possible exception of Turner who may have got a look in in the cup games. None of the other players would've got near the first team. We were a Premiership side at the time, not League 1! And it's probably the experience in the lower leagues which has made these players as good as they are today.
  • Rio Ferdinand.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]Campbell Ryce to a lesser extent

Not really. Still playing at a lower level from where we released him
    [cite]Posted By: The Red Robin[/cite]Jason Brown, now at Blackburn is another one

Really? How many games has he played in the premier League? 5 or 6?

As for McDonald, we released him while in the prem and he now playing league one after a few years in non-league. Really don't think he has come back to haunt us. The team dropped to his level and he was offered another year and turned it down.
    [cite]Posted By: dabos[/cite]But at the time it I would argue it was the right decision to release/sell all of them, with the possible exception of Turner who may have got a look in in the cup games. None of the other players would've got near the first team. We were a Premiership side at the time, not League 1! And it's probably the experience in the lower leagues which has made these players as good as they are today.

Agree.

Blame Curbs for Turner or maybe praise the manager who spotted him for Hull : - )
  • We play reserve games thou WSS

And Harry was told he will not be getting a pro contract on the basis that we have to many Midfielders (CM's) and it was Parky who told him that.
  • edited March 2010
    When I saw Harry Pell in the Youth Cup game (and I hope I've got the right player) he looked to me like a Crouch clone playing in Midfield when he should have been up front. There again, he reminded me a bit of Dick Tydeman and he didn't do so bad for us at this level.

Wish Harry and all the others released all the best in their careers and hope that this will spur them on to bigger and better things.
  • I think Pell being released will turn out to be a big mistake. I've seen him play a few times and really rate him. As for he only been scoring for Hastings blah de blah what other youngsters go out and actually do well at these Clubs. Seems to me that Tuna hasn't, for example, exactly pulled up trees at Staines, Woking etc.
  • edited March 2010
    [cite]Posted By: cafc-4-life[/cite]And Harry was told he will not be getting a pro contract on the basis that we have to many Midfielders (CM's) and it was Parky who told him that.
    That's what I thought it might have been (and said in post #15), as he didn't any worse a player than say Perkins from what I've seen or heard.

The problem with that is if we don't go up this season and 3/4 of the CMs leave. Even then, if Stavrinou stays he'll be ahead of him for one and we probably would replace them with experience, rather than have two of our CMs being young players.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]......what other youngsters go out and actually do well at these Clubs. Seems to me that Tuna hasn't, for example, exactly pulled up trees at Staines, Woking etc.

They're loaned out to these clubs to toughen them up mentally and get some valuable competitive match experience.
  • http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/8592567.stm