Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Parky's signings

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
Reading Goonerhaters thread about player ratings got me thinking about Parky's dealings in the transfer market. Regardless of the pros and cons of the rest of his Management I think he has done pretty well with transfers considering how potless we are:

Failures
Spring - Nothing against him but we just didn't need another squad CM when we got him, a waste of resources
A. Sodje - I've missed the two games where he has played well by all acounts, have been disapointed with him generally.
McKenzie - A gamble that backfired

Decent signings
Richardson - Competent FB at this level
Mooney - Not the greatest but better than what we had available and has got a few goals
S. Sodje - ok CB, had his moments but also has had some good games
Llera - Had a couple of shocking games but is ok backup

Successes
Burton - Is absolutely vital to us now.
Reid - Has given the side balance and chipped in with a couple of vital goals.
Dailly - Has done well, could have done with a few more rests.

Add Forster who looks like he will do well for us and the fact that he has managed to plug the constantly reappearing hole at left back and overall I think this is one area he is in credit on.

Comments

• Good: Dailly, Burton, Richardson, Reid, hopefully Forster

Bad: Llera, Spring, A Sodje, McKenzie

Indifferent: Mooney (can see why people like him, but also why they do not), S Sodje (again some good some bad).

Jury out: Forster, Fry, Jackson (could have been very good imho), Borrowdale, Warner
  • I think overall it's been a decent haul without money. None are ever likely to be outstanding, but we have to give credit to parky's efforts in the free transfer market. He might need to get even better at it though, because it could continue in this fashion next season!!!!
  • Don't forget

Omosuzi - ultimately good
    Goalkeeper whose name I forget - poor
  • Poor Signings: Spring, McKenzie, Omosuzi, Ikeme, Llera

Done Okay So Far: Dailly, A Sodje, Mooney, Jackson

Good Signings: Burton, Reid, Richardson
  • Ikeme
  • [cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]we have to give credit to parky's efforts in the free transfer market. He might need to get even better at it though, because it could continue in this fashion next season!!!!

and he wont be able to pay the higher wages that we clearly pay , i bet dailly didn't come cheap and the hidden signing on fees for the frees are easily forgotten ... warner jumped ship from millwall as soon as we out bid them on the wages front
  • How is Llera a poor signing?

2 poor games and he becomes a poor signing.
  • how was Ikeme a bad signing????
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SaySomething[/cite]we have to give credit to parky's efforts in the free transfer market. He might need to get even better at it though, because it could continue in this fashion next season!!!!

and he wont be able to pay the higher wages that we clearly pay , i bet dailly didn't come cheap and the hidden signing on fees for the frees are easily forgotten ... warner jumped ship from millwall as soon as we out bid them on the wages front
    Signing on fees maybe, but they're hardly going to be huge are they? I doubt Dailly was cheap but he probably isn't on a massive wage either. From what I've heard he was already spending most of his time in London and just played for Rangers when needed, so he wasn't even moving down from Scotland.
  • I would count Llera as a good signing. He's had a couple of bad games but has been no worse than Sam Sodje. Had we not signed him we'd have gone into this season with 1 centre back - Dailly - which would've been an even worse situation than the beginning of last season when Hudson and Fortune were our only recognised centre backs. For a free transfer there were not many (any?) better options. The same applies to Frazer Richardson in the right back position.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    Agree about those two, Llera was signed to do a job as a squad player for a couple of seasons, not to be a regular in the team and for the long term. Similar with Richardson really, though with him being a bit younger Parky probably also hoped he could be useful in the Championship. Don't see how we'd have found much better for what they're probably costing us.
  • A lot of people give Parky stick for signing Spring, but try seeing it from Parky's point of view?

I think people forget the context of the time last season when Spring was signed.

We had long term injuries with both ZZ and Racon injured (look how our team performance changed as soon as they were back in the team, just 3 defeats in 15 games).

Ambrose had just returned from an unsuccessful loan period, and was expected to be shipped straight out again - if only for someone else to pay his wage we could no longer afford.

It was the January transfer window and we were totally adrift at the bottom of the league, already relegation certainties.
    We had virtually no money.

Tell me,exactly which ambitious quality players were praying that Charlton would come in and sign them?
    I'll tell you ..... just Matt Spring!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Jpb Junior[/cite]How is Llera a poor signing?

2 poor games and he becomes a poor signing.[/quote]

Open your eyes, if you can't see it yet then god knows.
  • edited March 2010
    It's a great shame we didn't get Kisnorbo or Chris Coyne, but we don't know the wage struggles. Personally Llera's been OK when I've seen him, but both our centre backs whoever they are require a bit more robust defending in front of them. Dailly and Burton have both been crucial signings and excellent ones we could not have done without.

I really like Mooney, but have recognised before and in the past his presence is something we needed to improve upon. When you look at Millwall it's a great shame we didn't sniff out league one players who are very effective at this level in Schofield and Trotter.

Sodje brothers..... Like Akpo, never have liked Sam Sodje on account of his mebership in the AWOL team. Both are not disasters but due to one's injury and one's positioning, they're failures in my eyes - Akpo is/was worth the risk.

Unsure on Kyle Reid, but at the moment Parky has got a success there.

Richardson has been very good. I like Spring a lot but he has the weaknesses that every midfielder we have has apart from Bailey and Semedo.
  • Just had a look to see where Chris Coyne is, went to Australia but he's now on loan to a Chinese club, according to wikipedia to improve his chances of making the World Cup.
  • [cite]Posted By: (1984)[/cite]Reading Goonerhaters thread about player ratings got me thinking about Parky's dealings in the transfer market. Regardless of the pros and cons of the rest of his Management I think he has done pretty well with transfers considering how potless we are:

Failures
    Spring - Nothing against him but we just didn't need another squad CM when we got him, a waste of resources
    A. Sodje - I've missed the two games where he has played well by all acounts, have been disapointed with him generally.
    McKenzie - A gamble that backfired

Decent signings
    Richardson - Competent FB at this level
    Mooney - Not the greatest but better than what we had available and has got a few goals
    S. Sodje - ok CB, had his moments but also has had some good games
    Llera - Had a couple of shocking games but is ok backup

Successes
    Burton - Is absolutely vital to us now.
    Reid - Has given the side balance and chipped in with a couple of vital goals.
    Dailly - Has done well, could have done with a few more rests.

10 Names above only 3 successes = 30% hit rate!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]how was Ikeme a bad signing????[/quote]

Personal opinion, but I felt that randolph was good enough to play and Ikeme toook a long time to be match fit and by then he was off again and Robbie was fit. if Ikeme had comein match ready then it would have been a good signing.
  • [cite]Posted By: kakaka[/cite]10 Names above only 3 successes = 30% hit rate!
    Not really, the 'decent' signings are what you expect, not every signing is going to be a big hit. Richardson might not be a huge success but he's what we needed, an experienced and decent full back at this level who can defend and attack. We wouldn't have got much better, he's just never going to star for us.

Then you have Llera who is doing what he was signed for, playing when needed and happy to fight for his place. We could have never afford 3 centre backs that all expected to be regulars and had wages to match.
  • For most of Parkys signings that are still with us the jury is still out. They were brought in to give the squad balance and earn promotion. Until the season is over we can't say if collectively they have been successes or failures.

Having said that both Spring and McKenzie must be considered failures purely because in both cases they have rarely played any games and their influence over the course of the season has been zero.

The best signing so far has been Burton without him we would be looking at a mid table position at best. It's his struggle with injury over the last 3 months which has coincided with our downturn in form.

Another positive is that none of these signings saddles us with any additional long term debt as most are on one to two year contracts.
  • As I have only missed 1 game all season (and that was the live JPT game v The Saints which I watched from home) then I do think I have a better overall perspective on Parky's signings than some on here. Not saying that your comments or observations aren't valid, but if you've only seen the team play at home, or only seen a handful of games, then you may not have seen all their traits, good or bad.

As far as I see it, his signings are as follows:

Failures:

Spring - may have been signed when the club was going backwards and had to do something - but now hardly makes the bench and when he has played (a handful of games) then he reminds me of Bryan Hughes.......the "shadow".... as he will run around alot but not touch the ball. Should have been shipped out by now to save the wages that could have been spent elsewhere .

MacKenzie - Injury prone. Joined us with an injury and has carried on all season. When he has made an appearance he has looked lively, but still only scored 1 goal. Another waste of wages.

A Sodje - brillant 2nd half at Yeovil in appalling conditions and at which point i thought we had something. On his own admission he said he only took shots that day as the wind was in his favour.Since then he has been going backwards - with Millwall being his nadir. Brentford away he started upfront with Dickson and was completly outshone by a bloke who is now loaned out..........on that showing the wrong player is still here. No pace & No arial ability.

Decent signings:

Mooney - I think he has been unfairly castigated by a large section of the fans - esp away at Southend. Don't blame him for the cupped ear gesture the other week. Not my favourite forward but does give 100% which is more than some loanees weve had.

Successes:

S. Sodje - will give 110% for the cause - may be a bit rash & prone to a sending off, but what was worse v Swindon ; his tackle or Burton's two silly yellows?

Richardson -a great right back and although not in the Johnny H category yet he is far better than many rights back we have had in this division or the championship.

Dailly - great positioning and reads the game so well. without him we would not be 5th this season.

LLera - has had his bad moments (away at colchester & millwall) but overall a plus in the side. a great left foot and we have declined since we stopped using it to ping 50 yard passess to Sam.

Burton - need him in the team as he is the only player who can hold the ball up and then spread the play - not a great striker & wont get you 20+ goals a season, but our top goal scorer to date and so must be seen as a good "free" signing

Reid - best player we have at the moment and if he had played all season then surely a contender for POTS - god knows why Parky played him wide right against Millwall and currently our best hope of a goal. Jut hope we can kep him next season but I'm sure he is destined for the championship or higher.

The rest - Ikeme & Omosuzi ok but nothing more. Forster - too early to say. Jonnie Jackson - hope we sign him next season.......better than Youga imho.

thoughts..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Only seen away games on TV and have missed the odd home game, but generally agree with that. Llera is what he is, a decent defender at this level who will make mistakes, but overall he's done a job.

Don't agree Richardson is great, though he's more reliable than many right backs we have had. Compared to the right backs in the last few seasons, Cranie couldn't attack, Murty was too injury prone, he's better than Butterfield going forward, better than Yassin defensively with probably a better cross. Halford's in the Prem but I never really liked him, too often look for the long ball, Richardson is at least comfortable running with the ball, even if he doesn't always get it right. He makes a few mistakes defensively and going forward, but at least he offers something in both areas and works hard, I doubt we'd have found better.

Reid I'm not convinced he's our best player, I don't think we can properly judge him based on half a season. Players can often play well for half a season until you see what they're really like. He's good for his few attributes rather than a great all round game, like a lot of wingers are. With Sam off form he's now the player we look to to create or score a goal. Sam will probably create more but Reid clearly much more of a goalscorer than Sam.

Jackson I'd want to see more of, he is a central midfielder remember not naturally a full back. In this league at least, when on form Youga's pace and power can offer more.

Akpo's not lightening quick but he has a bit of pace doesn't he? We've had much slower strikers than him in the last few years.
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Tell me,exactly which ambitious quality players were praying that Charlton would come in and sign them?
    I'll tell you ..... just Matt Spring!
    Well, we had Soares on loan too (who can be added to the bad pile, but had he played at CM, he'd have been a different prospect perhaps). We had Josh Wright and Jonjo. With Racon, Semedo and ZZ in recovery, I'd say a permanent signing in that position was really daft. It was young midfield and quite lacking in depth for a Championship squad, but the real problem was that Parky didn't rate Bailey as much as he does now, so he believed without ZZ and Racon he needed another CM. There were other positions on the pitch that we needed cover in, so it was a mistake. A proper left mid would have free-ed Bailey up and given us more width - a problem that he's still trying to solve with loans.

Spring's a decent player, but wasn't what we needed at the time - and going forward.
  • Did he not rate Bailey, or did he play him on the left as we had no other options? He was also helping out Youga who needed to build his confidence back up.

I don't think Wright would have done much worse than Spring, but Parky probably wanted some experience in there and we don't know how Wright's attitude was, or how he trained, probably reasons that weren't just ability that meant he didn't get more games. That said, whenever I've seen him, he's done ok but never pushes on or tries to do that bit more. Same from first team games, pre-season friendlies and one reserve game I saw. Might be a good player one day but at the moment and a year ago, he wasn't and isn't better than what we had/have.
    A proper left mid would have free-ed Bailey up and given us more width - a problem that he's still trying to solve with loans.
    Which Reid is doing when played on the left, and Parky said he wanted him in the summer but he chose Sheff Utd.
  • Just a quick left field point Josh Wright is down as six foot one for Scunthorpe? Or should that be one foot six?

I was wrong on Spring liked him from a youngster, but his best periods were next to a fit Nicholls and Gavin Mahon at Watford. I should have stuck to my guns and backed the thought that we needed Gavin Mahon; but Pardew was way too stupid to think he needed a tackling midfielder.... as was Boothroyd at the time. Still I was wrong about Spring and should have known his 'mercurial' nature wasn't the one to kick Ambrose, ZZ and Sam up the backside.

What do people think on the Llera and S Sodje debate? Personally I'd generally prefer Llera against the Stockports of this world and Sam Sodje against more robust or willing teams like Millwall and Colchester; unless it's 4-5-1 then bring on Llera.

I'm glad Reid's worked out, but I just look at his game and don't think he has enough in him to assist at any decent level. I wouldn't want him permanently, long term I think he'll be a fader. If Sam was a metronome at creating chances in this league and the champ, then they're a great combination of measured good ball and Darren 'Forrest' Huckerby head-down stand-a-skelter.
  • Wright is tall yes but, like Semedo he's one of those players that doesn't look it.

That's actually a really good point about Llera v Sodje. When there's no real threat Llera's passing is useful, he's also generally just more comfortable with the ball. With Sodje he's more suited to those high tempo games, and gives us a bit more aggression and pace at the back. I wouldn't be comfortable with either at championship level, in fact i'm not sure about any of our defenders if we go up. Improving the midfield could help them quite a bit though.

Some say Sam should be doing what Reid does, but I prefer them being different types of wingers. We really could do with Sam back to his best for the run in, at this level they'd cause loads of problems if they were both playing well. With Forster there's now another option up front and we still have Shelvey to bring in. If we can get Bailey and Burton there should be plenty of goals in this team.
  • Agree with alot of these points and would like to add that Frazier Richardson has been not just good but outstanding for us this season. He looks like a player who's been with us for years and I'm desperate to keep hold of him.