Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wednesday Quiz 31 March 2010

1. MK Dons moved from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes but where was it proposed that Charlton should move to under the Glickstiens?

2. Who scored our winner in our first ever first class penalty shoot out?

3. What was the result the first time we played Wimbledon FC in the league?

4. Charlton beat Man Utd 1 - 0 with a penalty in April 1989. Who scored, who was fouled and by whom?

5. Who was appointed Charlton manager on April fools day?

6. "Unmatched by the record of any club in the British Isles, cradle of Association Football, or soccer, the history of Charlton Athletic, one of the most sensational aggregations of the booting game every" From where and when does this quote come?

7. Who said "I've not learned too much about football but I've become an expert in company law"

8. "You'll never believe this Mum but we've just beaten Liverpool". Which former Charlton player was thus quoted.

9. In October 1994 Reading beat Charlton 2 - 1 at the Valley. An 89th substitution saw Reading replace one player with a Charlton connection with another. Who were they?

10. Carl Leaburn scored a famous hat trick away at Ipswich in a 5 - 1 win but who scored our other 2 goals.

Comments

• edited March 2010
    5.Theo.
    7.Lennie.
  • 2 Mark Stewart
  • edited March 2010
    10. Paul Linger/Phil Chapple
    8.Kevin Lisbie
  • 1. Milton Keynes as well

8. Darren Bent?

10. Paul Linger got one of them
  • [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]5.Theo.
    7.Lennie.

Both correct

[cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]2 Mark Stewart

Mark "Amos" Stuart is correct. Won 5 - 4 at Goodison

[cite]Posted By: addick1965[/cite]10. Paul Linger/Phil Chapple
    8.Kevin Lisbie

Chapple (crocking their keeper in the process as I remember) and Linger's only Charlton goal I think.

Not Lisbie

[cite]Posted By: JohnnyJoeyDeeDee[/cite]1. Milton Keynes as well

8. Darren Bent?

10. Paul Linger got one of them

Not MK or Darren Bent Linger is right
  • 3) 3-1 defeat i think
  • 1. Brands Hatch
  • 6. That was a newspaper promotion advertising Charlton's tour of the United States
  • 7. Lennie Lawrence
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Miserableold-ish git[/cite]8.Thomas ?

No, an ex-player when he made the quote and playing abroad.
    [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]3) 3-1 defeat i think

No, or at least that's not the answer I found

[cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]1. Brands Hatch

LOL don't believe what you read in Voice of the Valley
    [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]6. That was a newspaper promotion advertising Charlton's tour of the United States

It was actually in a programme for a game v the Illinois All Stars in 1937
  • 8. Paul Elliott
  • [cite]Posted By: Chizz[/cite]8. Paul Elliott

Nope
  • 4. Mark Reid, Paul Williams, Steve Bruce

9. Parky. The question should be 1994, not 1984. Never played Reading in 1984.
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]4. Mark Reid, Paul Williams, Steve Bruce

9. Parky. The question should be 1994, not 1984. Never played Reading in 1984.

4. Correct 9. Correct but who did Parky replace?

Oops a typo. It was 94
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

3-1 win then?
  • 1. South Africa
  • 3) 3-1 win at Plough Lane
  • [cite]Posted By: stackitsteve[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

3-1 win then?

Yes,
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]1. South Africa

Yes
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2010
    1. MK Dons moved from Wimbledon to Milton Keynes but where was it proposed that Charlton should move to under the Glickstiens?

In his biography Jimmy South Stand said that the then owners had thought about moving the Club to South Africa.

2. Who scored our winner in our first ever first class penalty shoot out?

Mark Stuart netted the winner at Everton in 1987. Charlton won 6 - 5 on pens after a 2 -2 draw in the full members cup.

Charlton had 1 - 0 and then 2 -1 down in the first 90 mins but Lee and Miller equalised.

AET Reid missed, Walsh scored and Miller missed. Neville Southall made it 3 -1 to the Toffemen but Melrose and peake both scored to level it. Humphrey scored (4 -4) then Shipley made it 5 -5. When Bolder saved Pointon's kick Stuart put us ahead for the first time in the game and won it.

3. What was the result the first time we played Wimbledon FC in the league?

Won 3 - 1 at Plough Lane (Hales, Flanaghan and Moore)

4. Charlton beat Man Utd 1 - 0 with a penalty in April 1989. Who scored, who was fouled and by whom?

Mark Reid, Paul Williams, Steve Bruce.

5. Who was appointed Charlton manager on April fools day?

Theo Foley. Theo got this wrong recently at NW Addicks

6. "Unmatched by the record of any club in the British Isles, cradle of Association Football, or soccer, the history of Charlton Athletic, one of the most sensational aggregations of the booting game every" From where and when does this quote come?

In 1937 Charlton toured the US and Canada and this appeared in the programme for the game v Illinois All Stars in Chicago (home away lists it a v Chicago) We won 4 - 1

7. Who said "I've not learned too much about football but I've become an expert in company law"

Lennie Lawrence during the winding up of the Club in 1984

8. "You'll never believe this Mum but we've just beaten Liverpool". Which former Charlton player was thus quoted.

Jeff Wood who after leaving Charlton was playing for HJK Helsinki in the European Cup in 1982 when they won 1 - 0. Liverpool won the return game 5 - 0

9. In October 1994 Reading beat Charlton 2 - 1 at the Valley. An 89th substitution saw Reading replace one player with a Charlton connection with another. Who were they?

Parkinson replaced former youth team player Michael Gilkes

10. Carl Leaburn scored a famous hat trick away at Ipswich in a 5 - 1 win but who scored our other 2 goals.

Chapple and Linger. Carlo took a late pen to complete his only triple for the Addicks.
  • 9. Was John Salako the other?
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]9. Was John Salako the other?

no
  • 9. John Humphrey
  • edited March 2010
  • C'mon.................Who ?
  • Parkingson replaced Michael Gilkes who has family in or with cafc Burton?
  • [cite]Posted By: Lewis Coaches[/cite]Parkingson replaced Michael Gilkes who has family in or with cafc Burton?

It was Gilkes who was on our books as a youngster.