Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

AUSTRALIA - A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS

edited March 2007 in Match Day Travel
if anyone can help, either residents or those that have been.

I'm going (again) next February and am trying to finalise my itinerary and would be interested in advice on:

1) Planning to drive from Darwin to Ayers Rock via Litchfield NP,Katherine and Alice. (Due to the time of year Kakadu is likely to be out of bounds). Worth doing or waste of time ??

2) Just realised that we finish up in Sydney on the weekend of the culmination of Mardi Gras. Leave the day after the Parade.Good idea or bad idea ?? Not at all homophobic but a bit concerned that it'll be really busy and not worth the hassle. Or is it an event not to be missed.

Any input most appreciated.

Comments

• Hi Large,

Right question one, YES this is a fecking great trip to do and you would be mad not to do it. Scenery is fantastic and quite unlike anything else in the world. Will be bloody hot though and you'll cop heaps of rain in the late afternoon monsoons because Feb is still the wet season. Therefore, probably worth doing some pre-trip research to see what parts of what parks are open at that time of the year.

Second question, NO!!! Avoid Sydney during MG week, its packed to the rafters and everyone ratchets the prices right up to take advantage of all the out of towners coming for the MG. Avoid like the plague and try to book an internal flight anywhere else that you can, like the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast.
  • Yes worth doing that trip. All of it is wonderful.

We spent the day canooeing up Katherine Gorge, i remember swimming under a waterfall thinking what a lucky girl I am.

I didnt do Kakadu either but felt there was enough to see/do in Litchfield. and of course Ayers Rock was an amazing experience. Highly recommend that trip indeed.

If you got relatives to stay with in sydney then its a fun experience but yes very very busy. One year i watched it along with about 100,000 other people lining the streets and one big float of lesbians went past, one of the girls pointed at me and started yelling at me to come out of the closet... "you know you want to" were her exact words. I just dont know why she picked on me!
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite] One year i watched it along with about 100,000 other people lining the streets and one big float of lesbians went past, one of the girls pointed at me and started yelling at me to come out of the closet... "you know you want to" were her exact words. I just dont know why she picked on me!

Don't you ? Seriously, thanks for the input B. About 500k attended this years parade apparently. I've asked about eight people about Mardi Gras, incl you, and half say go it's a great experience and half say avoid it like the plague. Suppose it all depends on what floats your boat ! As for Darwin to Alice, it's something we wanted to do but just wanted some insight from those that have actually done it. Wanted to see the 'real' Australia.
  • I'm still to travel about the Northern Terroritary which is on my list of things to do. Once completed then I will finish off my travels around Oz with a trip from Darwin to Adelaide visiting Ayers Rock on route. I will then get a T shirt with "Done Oz!"
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I'm still to travel about the Northern Terroritary which is on my list of things to do. Once completed then I will finish off my travels around Oz with a trip from Darwin to Adelaide visiting Ayers Rock on route. I will then get a T shirt with "Done Oz!"

We are driving Darwin to Alice/Ayers and then jumping on The Ghan to Adelaide to see the rellies. Should be fun !!
  • stop at Coober Peedy on the way to Adelaide. Its a opal mining town and they basically just put sticks of TNT in the ground and blow them up. All the houses are underground because its so hot. Its funny seeing pick up trucks parked outside bars with TNT boxes on the back of them. Its a bit like the old wild west you see in the movies.
  • hilarious. never been more frightened outside the supermarket when a very large aboriginal woman demanded my fags off me.. i gave her the pack.

Weird but funny place.
  • will try to get to Coober whilst in SA. Might buy the missus an opal !