Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Having a stroke, a serious message...

Following the sad news of March51 having a stroke last week I decided to do something I've put off for a long while, I had my blood pressure taken, the reading was a real shock....

210/117

The bird in the chemist that took it was a bit of a stunner and I thought perhaps it was her low cut bra and black stockined thighs that had set my pulses racing but when she took it again a few minutes later it was the same...

She said I ought to go see the quack IMMEDIATELY as I was a walking stroke waiting to happen...

The doc gave me a right bollocking and immediately put me on tablets ,which I'll have to take for life (or death), and gave me some firm instructions to radically alter my lifestyle like not over boozing, stop eating all the shite foods, more vigorous exercise other than COD4, lose weight (BMI 29)....

I know there are a few old farts on here too and I'm not suggesting you live the same over indulgent Northern lifestyle as me but having your Blood Pressure taken only takes a few seconds and can go a long way to waking you up to the nasty consequences of what a stroke can do to you...

I've worked with many a stroke victim and I really don't want one...

There are no physical symptoms to warn you so having your blood pressure taken regularly is really important...

So, if you are over 50 go get it done, you know it makes sense...

Blood Pressure Information...

Comments

• Being a Charton fan puts us all at extra risk of course.
    But seriously, I am on blood pressure medication as well.
    Get it done.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Rodex[/cite]Being a Charton fan puts us all at extra risk of course.
    But seriously, I am on blood pressure medication as well.
    Get it done.[/quote]

Me too, to add to the cholestrol medication which is supposed to increase the blood in my cholestrol.
  • Good for you RedZed333 (both wrt taking the initiative and sharing it here)...a family member just caught something very very serious early on by virtue of being vigilant, and being an advocate for her own care.

Take care of yourselves, and don't wait for a wake up call to do it for you. (Physician/Can-Addick, heal thyself!)
  • Agreed, I'm too young (honest) to be at severe risk but I have a friend whose father died very young (40s) of something that could have been caught early. It's horrible and even though I have met none of you I can honestly say I'd be extremely upset if it were to happen to a Lifer.
  • As an "old fart" and in his 50s, perhaps you would care join me on sunday for a little jog. We could start off with a 5/6 miles and build up to a nice round figure of say 10 miles over the next month.
    Obviously you would have to take it nice easy because of my age, say 5 miles in 1 hour and 20 minutes.
    This would help me get a little fitter for the half marathon in september.
    Thanks for your concerns. ; )
  • I'm almost thirty four and had a real shock myself. Similar numbers to Red. After seeing the Doc, she put me on a blood pressure monitor, which took a reading every fifteen minutes over a 24 hour period.

On average, i have high blood pressure, but at the lower end of the scale. I asked not to be medicated, just yet, but to have a month to make a few changes. So I'm due another 24 hour reading next week. I'm not sure I've made enough changes though. I eat well, have tried to cut out the beer and the crisps, which is my particular weakness. My big problem though is work stress. That's harder to solve! Im not sure i've learnt any new coping skills. It's likely they are going to want to put me o the meeds unfortunately.

Thing is, i can feel when my blood pressure soars. I'm more aware of it now. Its hard to control it though.

Good on you for be bringing this up in this way. Its something worth discussing.
  • [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite] We could start off with a 5/6 miles and build up to a nice round figure of say 10 miles over the next month.
    10 miles a month doesn't seem too bad, I reckon I could do that no bother...
  • Snap!.... Seems to be the modern curse, stressful job, overweight, and supporting Charlton!. Been on tablet's now for three years!. I suffer from uncontrolled hypertension , so have to be careful and two years ago decided to drop down to 4 days a week, and last month retire early, at least from the media that I had worked in for nearly 40 years!.

I have had to review things quite radically, and do things at a less intense pace, eat differently, and try and control my diet, which is proving the hardest to do. But a couple of weeks ago I started with the long walks with the dog everyday, and been in the garden this last two weeks building a new raised verandah!. Gonna start swimming in the next two weeks, and yes even the dreaded jogging which I always loathed even when I was fit. I have a long way to go but I am glad I have changed my lifestyle, really it is not an option is it!
  • NIce to see a cautionary tale thread turning into a good news one for a few of us...good on you guys! (Timely...just cracked open a can of London Pride!)
  • A significant change in blood pressure is what you have to watch, not just high or low cos we are all different.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had a blood clot on my lungs a year ago, but that was a genetic thing (two of my sisters have had them, and I'm 22).

Funnily enough, the doctors warn me about eating too much green leafy vegetables. It's just as dangerous for me as drinking too much. :-)

Fair play to you, and best of luck with the changes you're making.
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]Following the sad news of March51 having a stroke last week I decided to do something I've put off for a long while, I had my blood pressure taken, the reading was a real shock....

210/117

Woh Redzed, that is high mate, I suffer from high BP and my last reading was 190/110 which caused a bit of a panic at my docs because I am already on medication.

Get yourself sorted mate and work on getting your numbers down, as you say high BP is known as the "silent killer" because there are no symptoms.

Good luck
  • [cite]Posted By: RedZed333[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: T.C.E[/cite]We could start off with a 5/6 miles and build up to a nice round figure of say 10 miles over the next month.
    10 miles a month doesn't seem too bad, I reckon I could do that no bother...

Lol.
  • My best mate diead of a stroke in his sleep -- he was 34 and i found him.

My father had a stroke late in life.

they say 1/4 of a disparin a day will reduce the chance of a stroke.
  • edited May 2010
    My blood pressure was high even though I felt the healthiest for many a year...I said to my doctor that I don't want to pill pop everyday. His response was harsh but true..."If your lucky you will have a heart attack and die" Now you make the decision on whether its worth taking pills daily......?

This advice made me feel that I was not immortal and that Im now in the age bracket when sudden death/illness is just lurking around the corner.

Although my response was "give me a bit of time to make those life changes", I don't think it will be too long now until Im pill popping on a daily basis.

So you kids out there.....Look after yourself real and prowpah....cos it wont be too long before you start to hear the doctor advising you of the same!

Solidgone
  • my Nan had a stroke about 3 years ago, visited her in hospital to basically say goodbye and managed to tell her that my wife was pregnant with her first great granchild. Doctors said she wouldn't survive the night, however next morning she was eating breakfast in bed !

the last 3 years she seemed to be getting better, although pretty frail, however last Thursday she suffered another massive stroke and sadly passed away on Saturday morning (age 77).

At least she got to see the first 3 years of my daughters life.
  • Its strange for most of my life I have been pretty healthy, until i hit 40 since then I have had 3 operations, and nearly died 4 years ago following flu which turned into something much nastier and lead me to having enough potassium in my system to kill me , as a result I have to be very careful with colds and flu, having regular check ups is vital, most surgeries now run a wellman clinic, can I recommend those of a certain age, nip down there and get yourself checked out, having fingers shoved in strange places is much easier than staring death in the face..
  • I thought this thread was going to be about a 5 knuckle shuffle......

On a serious note, strokes have affected my family and friends quite badly so wise words from Zed, something like your BP can open your eyes to more serious problems that could be on the horizon and if it can act as a catalyst to change your lifestyle for the better, even in a small way, then it's worth doing and getting it done.
  • A very good friend of mine had a stroke at the age of 33. He's never had high blood pressure, lived a reasonably healthy lifestyle and doesn't have a stressful job. He woke up one morning and the whole right side of his body was completely paralysed. He was very lucky, the stroke affected his memory and speech and he's slowly made a good recovery.
  • 130/90 which isn't great. 120/80 is ideal

Anything over 140 or 90 is too hight.

Sister Irving says it the diastolic (the lower, resting figure) that you need to worry about.
  • Sponsored links:

• At the age of 50 after a crap food, too much drink lifestyle I was badly out of shape. I joined a gym and became obsessed with fitness. At 56 I started to have fainting fits and blurry vision. One night it got so bad I stumbled into my neighbours house and asked his son, a paramedic to take my blood pressure. It was 90 / 50 so low that I was just 2 points away from death. So yes, keep fit and eat well, but dont be extreme like myself. I'm now 63 but now limit myself to 3 workouts a week hence 120 / 70