Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Mervyn Day Interview

http://www.sport.co.uk/features/Football/1041/Sportcouk_meetsMervyn_Day.aspx

Before reading just think back to how much stick he took while he was here.

Comments

• beating man utd 1-0 away? he's making it up!
  • A good read
  • Good Interview, wish we could go back to them days.
  • [cite]Posted By: ThreadKiller[/cite]beating man utd 1-0 away? he's making it up!

I thought that as well, the one team we did not beat.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]Good Interview, wish we could go back to them days.[/quote]

make you right
  • Interesting, not just on us but West Ham and England.

A number of problems in the dressing room at West Ham, not long after that we then got Pardew in here and two years later he leaves us with our own problems with the squad.
  • Seems almost like he's talking about another club now. How could it all have gone so wrong so fast??!!
  • The answer Pilchard is there.....all the recruiting they did was thorough and done personally like it was their own money they was spending.

Dowie & Pardew?

Youtube's is not designed for scouting players.....
  • Fascinating article. Thorough scouting and an understanding of roles seems to have been key issues for success, together with Peter Varney handling the finances. Unfortunately it brings home just how much we have lost and all so quickly.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The answer Pilchard is there.....all the recruiting they did was thorough and done personally like it was their own money they was spending.

Dowie & Pardew?

@ disaster of monumental proportions! Sadly we are still paying and will continue to pay for what they have done to our club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Really enjoyed that. Good, insightful interview.
  • but remember it was all Day's fault when we lost and "what does Mervyn Day actually do?" all the time.
  • Merv kicked advertising hoardings, missed, and fell onto his very large arris!

Happy days.
  • i wish they'd stop signing versatile players and just play 442...........arrrrrrrggggggggg!!!!!!!
  • I'm sure it wasn't.

Yes, i remember those things being said on a few internet sites by a few people, but it was no more than a handful, and like Alan, Merv never got any stick off Charlton fans in person or in the crowd at games.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The answer Pilchard is there.....all the recruiting they did was thorough and done personally like it was their own money they was spending.

Dowie & Pardew?

After it worked so well with Curbs and his staff, you can see why the board wanted to and still want to give Parky time. They've got a manager who wants to spend what he has carefully and build a team spirit.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]I'm sure it wasn't.

Yes, i remember those things being said on a few internet sites by a few people, but it was no more than a handful, and like Alan, Merv never got any stick off Charlton fans in person or in the crowd at games.

Yes, it wasn't everyone or all the time but when some people needed a whipping boy (cos they wouldn't/couldn't criticise Curbs) it was Day they picked on?

And it was frequently "what does he actually do?"

Anyway that's my football posts quota met for the month. Back to art and music ; - )
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The answer Pilchard is there.....all the recruiting they did was thorough and done personally like it was their own money they was spending.

Dowie & Pardew?

After it worked so well with Curbs and his staff, you can see why the board wanted to and still want to give Parky time. They've got a manager who wants to spend what he has carefully and build a team spirit.

spot on, i think the feel they can trust Parky as do i that he is a honest guy trying is hardest to build a team. we need to rebuild so stick with him.
  • edited May 2010
    I know Charlton Athletic would have been a better club had he stayed a bit longer. He left in the January and we had just beaten Bolton and we were lying fourth in the Premier League. Then it all broke, and it was absolutely horrendous for Alan and I!

yep it was downhill from there. 4th in January OMG did we ever really appreciate where we were then?
  • More Akpo Sodje!
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]I know Charlton Athletic would have been a better club had he stayed a bit longer. He left in the January and we had just beaten Bolton and we were lying fourth in the Premier League. Then it all broke, and it was absolutely horrendous for Alan and I!

yep it was downhill from there.4thinJanuaryOMG did we ever really appreciate where we were then?

Yes we did. Was loving it!
  • Day now at Leeds as Chief Scout.

Has he given up on Curbs finding another job?
  • Glynn Snodin assistant manager there as well.

I think Curbs wants a Premier League job, and he's probably not going to get one. Unfortunately for him he's seen as a boring mid table manager who can't push a club on to the next level.
  • Curbs needs to bite the bullet and take a job managing a championship side or some obscure national team
  • [cite]Posted By: Stebo[/cite]or some obscure national team

like England ?
  • When you read that makes me feel really sad eh...

we had some glorious times, and for all the effort those guys put in we didnt get where we needed to go and neither did they... look at Hodgson now after terrific european success, which sadly is unlikey for curbs now.... unless of course her returns to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

great interview, very sad times really...

Just always loved curbs...
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]I know Charlton Athletic would have been a better club had he stayed a bit longer. He left in the January and we had just beaten Bolton and we were lying fourth in the Premier League. Then it all broke, and it was absolutely horrendous for Alan and I!

yep it was downhill from there.4thinJanuaryOMG did we ever really appreciate where we were then?

Yes we did. Was loving it!
    So was I, I was busy dusting off my passport during that time.
  • Good read...thanks.
  • nice interview but did have to LOL! at the 1-0 win at Old Trafford.

wish I'd been there for it (and before Ooh Ahh pipes up, I know I could have in 1986 but I was only nine years old then and wasn't allowed to go!)

no doubting there commitment to CAFC - the number of cold and wet midweek evenings they must have spent watching games and scouting players whereas Pardoo clearly would have been dolled up on the pull in a flashy niteclub and simply done a bit of youtubing on his phone on the way home...
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]but remember it was all Day's fault when we lost and "what does Mervyn Day actually do?" all the time.

Definitely was like that where I was sitting. Though I doubt he could hear the abuse from the East Stand.