Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Five Year Plan

We're all worrying about the immediate future, but where do you think Charlton will be in 5 years' time? I'm a great believer that average attendances is a good barometer in the longer term, so that probably puts us as a mid to lower second division (in old currency) club. But, do you think we could be higher - or, God help us, lower? Or, still treading water in the third division? I do wonder whether at 55, I may have seen Charlton's last game in the Premiership in my lifetime, but I don't know how long I will live or whether I am just being a pessimist. What thoughts?

Edit - oops, I'm 56!!

Comments

• That's the glorious thing about supporting a team like Charlton tma, we could easily be in anyone of the situations you name in 5 years time and we may have even visited more than one of them in between time.

For what it's worth I suspect we're going to be bedding ourselves down for 2 or 3 long hard winters while we get the finances under control, during which period a finish anywhere outside the relegation zone of League 1 will be a moderate success.

I hope in 5 years time we'll be back holding our own in the Championship and looking at trying to build a promotion campaign, in the kind of quiet, understated way we did in 97/98. Tbh, though, I'll be happy if we're still solvent, no lower than we are now and have a squad of players we can relate to and get behind, but then I never have been particularly ambitious.
  • We will be 15th in the championship with an average attendance of 15,675 and still losing to Millwall on a regular basis.
  • lol
  • A five year plan?

So we need a great leap forward, a cultural revolution and collectivisation then? Lets not forget our very own gang of (back) four.
  • First cancel all debts
    Then gain capital from what resources we have - renting out the training ground and the Valley pitch, perhaps
    Then use the capital generated to invest in heavy industry, gigantomanias and armed forces - a midfield work horse, big men up top and at the back, and a deadly striker
    Meanwhile kill any dissident fans
  • chasing a play-off place in the championship i reckon.
  • Back to our natural level. Mid-table second tier.
  • At the moment I would be happy if we were in the Championship I think. So much has happened in the last 5 years, anything could happen.
  • [cite]Posted By: thai malaysia addick[/cite]We're all worrying about the immediate future, but where do you think Charlton will be in 5 years' time? I'm a great believer that average attendances is a good barometer in the longer term, so that probably puts us as a mid to lower second division (in old currency) club. But, do you think we could be higher - or, God help us, lower? Or, still treading water in the third division? I do wonder whether at 55, I may have seen Charlton's last game in the Premiership in my lifetime, but I don't know how long I will live or whether I am just being a pessimist. What thoughts?

Edit - oops, I'm 56!!

I must confess to similar feelings to those you express....
  • [cite]Posted By: Fortune Costa Fish[/cite]First cancel all debts
    Then gain capital from what resources we have - renting out the training ground and the Valley pitch, perhaps
    Then use the capital generated to invest in heavy industry, gigantomanias and armed forces - a midfield work horse, big men up top and at the back, and a deadly striker
    Meanwhile kill any dissident fans

Like it FCF, lets see how the running lap dogs of premiership football deal with all that. Altogether now, The south East is Red.......
  • Sponsored links:

• In 5 years' time I will have taken over the club, kicked out all the old board put a new manager in place by the name of Jonathan Ackworth and we'll be groundsharing with Bromley Town as it's nearer my home than The Valley.