Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cardiff Takeover approved = we have to get out of League 1

edited May 2010 in General Charlton
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/cardiff_city/8706910.stm

We aren't going to get this kind of interest in League 1. Going up to the Championship would have brought lots of riches me thinks (riches = billionaire takeover).

Comments

• Billionaire businessman Tan Sri Vincent Tan Chee Yioun, a Malaysian property magnate who is worth a reported £800m, is the power behind Cardiff's new regime.

If he is worth £800 million, surely he is not a billionaire?
  • Rumour down this way is that the new owner wants to make a big name signing - believed to be Michael Owen.
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Rumour down this way is that the new owner wants to make a big name signing - believed to be Michael Owen.

Says it may be Bellamy in todays papers.
  • I didn't think the Cardiff takeover was going to see millions being spent like some people are expecting and that it was more for stabilising the club rather than making them a force, but I may be wrong.
  • The strikers they've already got would score more goals in the Championship than Owen. It's their defence that needs sorting out...
  • [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Rumour down this way is that the new owner wants to make a big name signing - believed to be Michael Owen.

Jan Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink surely, don't come much bigger than that.
  • "Jan Johannes Vennegoor of Hesselink surely, don't come much bigger than that. "

Think of the shirt revenue Cardiff would generate if he is their no.1 striker....
  • [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Rumour down this way is that the new owner wants to make a big name signing - believed to be Michael Owen.

Silly season has started already then. There is 0% chance of Bellamy signing for a championship side.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Plaaayer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Valley11[/cite]Rumour down this way is that the new owner wants to make a big name signing - believed to be Michael Owen.

Silly season has started already then. There is 0% chance of Bellamy signing for a championship side.

Bellamy would sing for a park team if they were prepared to up his wages. The bloke's the epitome of the modern footballer.
  • I believe if we ever went into admin we would be reasonably attractive to buyers, 27k stadium, training ground, in London.
  • Sponsored links:

Will be joining Spurs this summer. Fact.
  • Bellamy's been training with Cardiff this week to keep his fitness up. He has a house this way.

There's no way Cardiff could afford him, or Man City would sell him.

I think Bellamy was City's player of the season - could be wrong??
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]

Bellamy would sing for a park team if they were prepared to up his wages. The bloke's the epitome of the modern footballer.

think that is a bit harsh, he does do alot of charity work i believe he has set something up working with kids in Africa.
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

think that is a bit harsh, he does do alot of charity work i believe he has set something up working with kids in Africa.

Indeed he does.....

Charidee
  • [cite]Posted By: roseandcrown[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]

I read a bit about his work for charidee. Whilst laudable in some ways, it did smack of "bad reputation footballer with allegations of racism and violence against him suddenly bunging a weeks salary (£50k+) at some poor african kids, with murmurs of coaching and schooling to make it sound better, but all the time it is just a thinly disgusied ruse to make him appear misunderstood, and underneath a decent chap after all" .
  • Chris could you not put up links that make me look like a miserable old git (sorry real MOG) before I have even posted my own character assisination.
  • Yes we need to get out of this division but, do we really want to be owned by some overseas property tycoon who has no affinaty to the club and will proberbly get bored and leave us even more in the brown stuff like pompy , liverpool, west ham etc
  • [cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]Yes we need to get out of this division but, do we really want to be owned by some overseas property tycoon who has no affinaty to the club and will proberbly get bored and leave us even more in the brown stuff like pompy , liverpool, west ham etc

It depends really. For every Pompey, Liverpool and West ham whose takeovers were a disaster, there's a Chelsea, Man City and Aston Villa whose takeovers have been successful.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: DPFC[/cite]Yes we need to get out of this division but, do we really want to be owned by some overseas property tycoon who has no affinaty to the club and will proberbly get bored and leave us even more in the brown stuff like pompy , liverpool, west ham etc[/quote]

Can't see this happening. Our board have proved time and again that they have the best interests of the club at heart.

I would be very surprised if they hadn't already turned down enquiries they didn't like the look of.
  • Vincent Tan. Oh dear me, they have gone out of the frying pan and into the fire with that one!!!

Vincent Tan is, as they say, very much an "All gong and no dinner" man.

I cover the Asia Pacific media/telecoms market for my work and I have interviewed him a couple of times.

In the last five years he has started a pay TV business that went bust and a mobile business that is about to go bust.....

The only person in Malaysia who really has 800 million quid of his own money (as opposed to being in hock for it) is a chap called Ananda Krishnan, he has been linked to Liverpool in the past but is a very cautious investor so I doubt he'll get involved in English football.

Cardiff will be in for a very bumpy ride methinks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been reading up on Vincent Tan and Wiki says - 'In 2010 he entered the Forbes billionaire billionaire list with an estimated worth of US$1.3 billion (RM4.2 billion). Tan's success in the Malaysian business sector has been attributed in part to his close association with prominent Malay political figures.' Looks a bit like a Malaysian version of Berlusconi and is indeed very rich with his wealth sewn up within the Berjaya Group ( the usual dodgy suspects - property gambling etc) and he owns a majority of the shares.

Seems to me we have a dilemma. RM won't sell to 'dirty money' but there is a shortage of 'decent money' and as we didn't get promoted, we are less attractive to the decent money. I worry about there being a growing feeling amongst supporters that going into administration is seen to be the only way forward. I don't happen to agree, but as time rolls by, the siren voices will be picking up votes, and real division amongst the supporters will bring more problems.
  • My Cardiff pal is'nt jumping up & down about this. She believes he's on par with Ridsdale.

But it could also be because she's been a supporter for years and can't quite believe it.

Its the age old thing that if it seems too good to be true, it usually is.
  • [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]If he is worth £800 million, surely he is not a billionaire?

£800 million in GBP = roughly $1.3 billion in USD

So US dollar billionaire. Whether that's in cash, assets or house of cards empire building, who knows - or cares?

• edited May 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]If he is worth £800 million, surely he is not a billionaire?

So US dollar billionaire. Whether that's in cash, assets or house of cards empire building, who knows - or cares?

Pah! By that token I am a multibillionaire myself...in Zimbabwean dollars. Real billionaires have 1000 million in pounds stirling. Like AFKA and Looky do. Fact.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bournemouth Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Vinnie V.[/cite]If he is worth £800 million, surely he is not a billionaire?

Pah! By that token I am a multibillionaire myself...in Zimbabwean dollars.Realbillionaires have 1000 million in pounds stirling. Like AFKA and Looky do. Fact.

Nah that's pathetic....Real billionaires have a £1,000,000 Million like it used to be.
  • edited August 2010
  • Cardiff still owe Motherwell £175k for Paul Quinn who signed for them in 2009, yet can afford to sign Bellamy.

Motherwell have issued a winding up notice on Cardiff who promise that a cheque is in the post...

You were saying?