Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

France to Host EURO 2016

edited May 2010 in Match Day Travel
3rd time for the French to host this.
Beat Italy and Turkey.

Comments

• How can France win the rights to a major tournament when they only hosted the world cup 12 years ago. Anything to do with Platini?
  • Exactly. And they last hosted the Euros in 1984, when Italy last held it in 1980 and Turkey have never held a major international tournament.
  • Not too sure I would fancy Turkey hosting a major tournament
  • Maybe they made a better bid with good travel, hotels and stadiums while no one fancied Turkey with it's crowd violence and poor facilities outside Istanbul
  • And the French government are guaranteeing the 1.5 billion needed to build/renovate the stadia.
  • Excellent news just accross the water plenty of cheap accomodation will be loads of england out there bring it on
  • Doesnt each member country have a vote anyway ?
  • Thank god it's not Turkey that's all I'm saying... there was no way UEFA were going to take a risk on another massive, poorly communicated landmass again after the Ukraine 2012 debacle (which still might see them ousted from hosting the tournament).

Italy obviously penalised for the corruption/racism scandals in recent years.

France effectively hosts by default.
  • France when they host tournements do very well. The WC 1998 was a huge success so why should they not host it they are a great nation in the world of football (as are Italy i know) but France Will be good hosts of any football touornement, big country with big support so well done France.
  • Italy Hosted Euros and World Cup within 10 years.

It will be 18 years not 12 by the time it happens since France hosted a Major Tournament and I enjoyed France 98.

At least two teams aint sharing it and getting automatic qualification.

Good Choice, cant wait for that.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Thank god it's not Turkey that's all I'm saying... there was no way UEFA were going to take a risk on another massive, poorly communicated landmass again after the Ukraine 2012 debacle (which still might see them ousted from hosting the tournament).

Spot on.
  • Good news for me being closer to France than Charlton.
  • OK Dad don't forget this time when you get offered Tickets to England game by the Club get one for me this time !
  • Get in.

Turkey would have been messy.

Hopefully the euro will recover in that time and I wont need to remortgage to get a pint out there
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Good news for me being closer to France than Charlton.

Its Friday JT, stop wasting time on these threads and concentrate on Countdown, how is she looking today????
  • Beer is expensive in France. Other than that, I'm all for it.
  • Too early for that yet, surely.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chris_from_Sidcup[/cite]How can France win the rights to a major tournament when they only hosted the world cup 12 years ago. Anything to do with Platini?
    So England shouldn't have been bidding for this year's world cup on the grounds that they hosted the Euros in 96?

Shame about Turkey though, as the quality of grilled lamb would be high and the general mentalness of the population upsets trouble makers no end.
    [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]Thank god it's not Turkey that's all I'm saying... there was no way UEFA were going to take a risk on another massive, poorly communicated landmass again after the Ukraine 2012 debacle (which still might see them ousted from hosting the tournament).

Or... maybe they put in the best bid and the judges used criteria other than the ones that you're guessing at/making up? I'm guessing myself here. 98 was a great tournament, they have good stadia and they probably have the best transport infrastructure in Europe.
  • edited May 2010
    I think it's pretty obvious that my post was based on my own personal opinions/deductions rather than acutal first-hand info, as I imagine the vast majority of posts are on here, pretty pointless reply
  • Shoulda been Turkey.....
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2010
    I think France is considered a favourite for hosting for the reasons mentioned above (stadia - transport etc) plus the biggest travelling support in the world bar none is an easy ferry/train ride away, and their not-so-football-mad citizens are happy to cash in and sell their tickets on the black market to real fans of the countries taking part.
  • [cite]Posted By: Algarveaddick[/cite]I think France is considered a favourite for hosting for the reasons mentioned above (stadia - transport etc) plus the biggest travelling support in the world bar none is an easy ferry/train ride away, and their not-so-football-mad citizens are happy to cash in and sell their tickets on the black market to real fans of the countries taking part.

lol

I'm just a bit peeved that after living in the (south) east of France for 6 years and having now just moved to the (centre) west that all the stadiums being used are in the east (except Toulouse & Bordeaux (south west)). Nantes would have been perfect for me now.

Also, regarding your comment about French citizens generally not being football mad, I agree. However they are in fact football mad in the north west (Brittany - nearest large stadium = Nantes), north east (Lens) and Marseille. Apart from that, football in France is quite low-key.
  • Exactement...