Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

An Evening with Clive Mendonca & Steve Jones

2»

Comments

• so i saw on face book that it was a good night and more to come. Look forward to hearing the stories.
  • Anyone go...?
  • Yup...wil tell more later.
  • Spill the beans
  • No beans to spill really.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]No beans to spill really.
    Stop being a tease you old fart and give us the goss...
  • Sorry for the delay but the laptop is playing up and i'm holiday at the monent!!

I thought £20 a ticket in a back street boozer was a bit steep at first but it turned out to be a great night!

Sir clive and Steve Jones were superb they spoke to everybody and were really down to earth!
    The question and answer session was superb, Sir Clive told the story about how he joined Charlton and Curbs pinched him from under Peter Reid's and Sunderlands noses!
    Steve Jones told the story about Richard Rufus being an animal in training and that he was the best defender he had ever come across!!!

There was a professional photographer taking photos of yourselfs with Sir Clive and Steve Jones which were £10 a pop but very good!
    After the questions session Sir Clive and Jonsey signed anything you put in front of them,Sir Clive had some limeted edition prints of his hatrick at Wembley which are superb and some other prints!

I got speaking to Steve Jones after the event and he told me that himself and Sir Clive are planning an event somtime in July with 8 of the WEMBLEY 98 FINAL IN ATTENDENCE!!!!!!
    Now if it was a superb evening with 2 of them can you imagine what its going to like with 8 of them????

I told Steve Jones that on my part it was bad marketing for that event so he asked me what should he do? I told him about this site and told him that you had some of the best fans surporting our great club on here so he gave me his number and told me to ring him in a few days for an update!!

As soon as I know anything re venue,date,price etc etc I will post it on here!!!!!

Trust me it was a very very good evening!!!!
  • Cheers Terry, sounded great. Will be interesting to see about another evening like this.

8 in attendance from 98, would be great if Big Sasa was one.
  • Well done Terry and thanks for the update.

Certainly be interested in the event you mention, as I am sure many others would be.
  • my best memory of steve jones was away at nottingham forest.

i sat by myself in a section all alone, and when the ball was kicked out of play in my section, i retreived the ball back into play. Steve Jones thanked my efforts by putting hand glasses around his eyes to mock the fun of my thick glasses. Quite funny and i will never forget that...
  • Sponsored links:

• He reckons his best game for Charlton was Man City away when hen came on as a sub and scored 2 goals in the 97/98 season!

Top fella!
  • Remember Jonesy's great goal inexplicably disallowed at Anfield, 3-3 draw in our 1st Prem season

We wuz robbed by the ref that day!
  • [cite]Posted By: Terry Naylor[/cite]He reckons his best game for Charlton was Man City away when hen came on as a sub and scored 2 goals in the 97/98 season!

Top fella!

Is that the night he scored an absolute screamer?!
  • It is mate!!
  • If anyone's interested there's another one of these evenings planned for 4th September, this one is being organised by a friend of mine who's teamed up with Steve Jones. Have told him to advertise it on here once the venue's sorted.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]If anyone's interested there's another one of these evenings planned for 4th September, this one is being organised by a friend of mine who's teamed up with Steve Jones. Have told him to advertise it on here once the venue's sorted.

I met Clive not too long ago, top bloke and happy to speak about his Charlton days, hope he gets all he can from these types of events as he deserves it.

I think there would be a lot of interest in these types of events if promoted right, I'd certainly give it a shot.
  • edited June 2010
    Sent Steve Jones a text late last night asking for the latest info!

As soon as I hear anything I will also post on here!
  • PeakieRocket. Do you know where they are planning to have it? i had been waiting on the fixtures list to come out before trying to organise one.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]If anyone's interested there's another one of these evenings planned for 4th September, this one is being organised by a friend of mine who's teamed up with Steve Jones. Have told him to advertise it on here once the venue's sorted.

PR, i've had an email from him looking for sponsorship that i've not had a chance to reply to yet, but please tell him he is free to advertise his events on here.

Do have a slight concern that these are a little bit too commercially focused for my liking, but that's just my opinion. Perhaps we've been spoilt by the amount of branch / club ones over the years.
  • edited June 2010
    The 4th September is a saturday. Is that a day that England will be playing in a euro but will we still be playing? It seems odd to organise the date before seeing our fixtures... could be a yeovil away day or something.

I was thinking of organising one and having it in the Con Club after a home game... and Soundas kindly got me all the contact details for Steve and Clive but think ill sit back and watch this space now for a minute. The money too does concern me. But thats because as you say players have been happy to come up and chat without payment.
  • Sponsored links:

• let's not forget that neither Clive or Steve were around when players earned really big money and both are alledged to have fallen on hard times in recent years. I'm more than happy to pay £20 to listen to them, the least I can do when they gave me the best day of my life, wedding excepted of course ;-). Only fair that they recoup their expenses imo. Maybe we have been lucky that players turn up for nothing, at many clubs they don't turn up at all. Wouldn't want it to become the norm but on this occasion it's ok by me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]PeakieRocket. Do you know where they are planning to have it? i had been waiting on the fixtures list to come out before trying to organise one.

speaking to peakierocket last night and he mentioned that it would probably be in the charlton area.
    he did mention that there have been issues with charging an entrance fee at certain ciu affiliated clubs. don't know too much detail but i'm sure he'll be on later to clarify.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]PeakieRocket. Do you know where they are planning to have it? i had been waiting on the fixtures list to come out before trying to organise one.

Think they've gone for the White Horse on Woolwich Road
  • [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]PeakieRocket. Do you know where they are planning to have it? i had been waiting on the fixtures list to come out before trying to organise one.

Here's hoping they have not double booked with the exotic dancers!
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: PeakieRocket[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]PeakieRocket. Do you know where they are planning to have it? i had been waiting on the fixtures list to come out before trying to organise one.

Here's hoping they have not double booked with the exotic dancers!
    Just corrected that there for you fella.
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    Here's hoping they have[strike]not[/strike]double booked with the exotic dancers!
    Just corrected that there for you fella.

Exotic dancers and the deadly duo - almost as good as Wembley 98.
    Could be a packed out pub
  • No one got any pics of the first event...?
  • Any news on this?
  • what happened with this then??
  • After @adamcafc86 revealing he's received his canvas has anyone else had any luck?