Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Suggestions on What Football Ground to Visit...

I am travelling to Amsterdam in a few weeks and wanted to catch a football game while there. I am traveling with family.
Anybody with recommendations on a Dutch football ground they enjoyed thats easy to get to from Amsterdam and considered a relatively safe area?

Comments

• Do Ajax still have the Amsterdam pre-season tournament? Might be worth a look.
  • I saw Holland V England at the Amsterdam arena, it was very comfortable and I was able to sleep through out the entire match.
  • Anywhere in the Netherlands is relatively easy to get to from Amsterdam and no more than 2/3 hours on the train.

Unless you go to a game where Ajax, Feyenoord and ADO Den Haag are playing one of the other, they are all pretty safe.
  • Never been but thought Rotterdam is lively and there's the Rotterdam derby on the 15th.

Kick off is at 11.30am, so seems like it could be a lively one which makes it more interesting....
  • Lively this, lively that.
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]Lively this, lively that.

Pwoper nawty.
  • Been to Feyenoord with England. Trip away from the ground afterwards was probably the most scared I have been in a foreign country. Not sure who the Dutch fans were following, but they were mostly bonkers.

You wont get a ticket for the derby. Try PSV or Ajax.
  • Umm ....

Did you think about checking the fixtures for the dates of your trip? That might limit your choice .. or provide some suggestions as to where to go. The Eredivisie season starts on 6/7/8 August.

http://www.eredivisie.nl/index.php

Might be worth thinking about dropping down a division or two.

In the past, we've done Volendam (easy to get to from Amsterdam) and Roda JC (less easy).
  • Go to a good head shop and you'll be able to watch the evil leprechauns vs dancing mushroom babies.
  • [cite]Posted By: Chunes[/cite]Go to a good head shop and you'll be able to watch the evil leprechauns vs dancing mushroom babies.

Lively
  • Sponsored links:

• Feyenoord v Ajax is okay as long as you DUCKKKKKKKK when the missles start flying and you RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN when the water cannon starts up!!!
  • PSV has a nice ground and there is a tons of bars not to far from the ground. I went there and watched boro get spanked 4-0 in the uefa cup final agaisnt Sevilla. very nice area, locals were very friendly.
    I think its about an hour away on the train from amsterdam, could be very wrong though.
  • What dates are you in Amsterdam exactly, because that limits your choice. And do you want to visit a big ground or small ground?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Dutch Addick[/cite]What dates are you in Amsterdam exactly, because that limits your choice. And do you want to visit a big ground or small ground?[/quote]

Ill be in Amsterdam for the opening weekend of Aug 6-8. I was looking at Rotterdam vs Utrecht.
  • I'm sure you will get tickets for that game?

Do you want me to ring a pal in Rotterdam to find out for you?
  • Assuming you mean Feynoord? It's a bit of schlep, so it'll wipe out a lot of your Sunday. Probably the best atmos, though.

The Arena is obviously the easiest one to visit. They do packages where you can get a tour of the ground etc. But, that's not on the weekend you are planning to visit. Are you flexible on your week? Utrecht would also be a nice one, but they're away that weekend too.
  • Went to see Tiesto in concert at Utrecht. Quality stadium.
  • [cite]Posted By: nickaspanner[/cite]PSV has a nice ground and there is a tons of bars not to far from the ground. I went there and watched boro get spanked 4-0 in the uefa cup final agaisnt Sevilla. very nice area, locals were very friendly.
    I think its about an hour away on the train from amsterdam, could be very wrong though.

I have to disagree with you on all counts lol. I went there as one of 4,000 Spurs fans that made the trip over for the UEFA Cup Quarter Final in 2008 (when we lost on pens to PSV) and I have to say my opinion is based on being caged in the corner pen on wooden planks for seats...absolute hell hole.

This was my view...second row from the very back of the stand...really wouldnt want to go back there again.

photo.php?pid=688707&l=42a50534bb&id=551039858