Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Driving Amsterdam to London and back...

Anybody done the trek via car?
Im looking to rent a car when im in amsterdam to visit the Valley for the season opener on SAT AUG 7th. whos done it? any suggestions? how long does it take?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Just get the eurostar
  • [cite]Posted By: NathanPrior[/cite]Just get the eurostar

I've done that, and it was an enjoyable journey.

Also, it is about a 30 minute flight from Schiphol to London City Airport.

A car, and a ferry (from Belgium to Ramsgate?) may not be quite so easy.
  • Few of my mates drove to London to Amsterdam to meet me once. Can't remember how long it took, but they said it wasn't a bad journey at all. Still, probably much easier to catch a plane/train.
  • I took a coach journey to Utrecht via Amsterdam. It took about 12 hours to get there via a ferry at Dover. On the way back we went though the tunnel and it took pretty much the same amount of time.
  • Used to do this journey allot when I was a kid.

Its about 4 hours from Amsterdam to Calais - depending on your driving. then however long depending on if you get the train or ferry.

And an 1.5 hours from Dover/Folkestone....

Lond day if you go there and back in one day, but still do-able.

Weren't there some Dutch addicks that drove over to home games?
  • It'll take longer in time, but might work out less driving: You can get a return ferry from rotterdam > hull and then it's only a 3 and a half our drive to Charlton! Dam to Rotterdam is about a 40min drive and an overnight ferry.
  • [cite]Posted By: Stu of HU5[/cite]It'll take longer in time, but might work out less driving: You can get a return ferry from rotterdam > hull and then it's only a 3 and a half our drive to Charlton! Dam to Rotterdam is about a 40min drive and an overnight ferry.

if you're going to do that you might as well get the ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich!

Painfully slow though.
  • The drive is pretty easy, but unless youv got a car load of you it'll be cheaper/easier just to get a flight
  • edited July 2010
    [cite]Posted By: SE10Addick[/cite]
    if you're going to do that you might as well get the ferry from Hoek van Holland to Harwich!
    AFAIK it's waaaay more expensive that way.

I go a few times a year and it works out about £35 on the ferry! Last time I checked the Hoek > Harwich ferrys are much, much dearer.
  • edited July 2010
    Hook of Holland to Harwich timetable

I've never done it but others I know from near Amsterdam have and this seems the best way. About 1 1/4 from Amsterdam to the Hoek van Holland port, then about 2 hours from Harwich to Charlton.
    Enjoy the game!

Edit: posts 8-10 published while I was typing this and working out the link thingy
  • Sponsored links:

• We do it all the time from Eindhoven: drive to Calais and take the shuttle to Folkestone, very easy.