Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Driving in France

edited July 2010 in Not Sports Related
Would anyone know what the requirements are for driving in France these days ? Someone told me you need hi-vis jackets but I assume they were on a wind up.

Thanks

Comments

• You need 2 hi viz jackets kept INSIDE THE CAR - no wind up
  • Not done it for some years but back then you also needed to carry an accident warning triangle in the car.

Not sure if that remains the case.
  • You must carry a spare set of bulbs, I think you need a hi vis for each person in the car.
  • I think headlights should have deflectors on them.
  • I think you have to drive on the right, not sure.
  • You have to ride a bike wearing a beret and onions around your neck
  • http://www.click-parts.co.uk/content/driving-in-france-checklist.php

This might help.
  • You can get a kit from halfords for about 20 notes that includes all the above. You need a triangle, stoopid bits of plastic attached to your headlights, uk stickers (though most number plates have em anyway) and hi vis jacket, no joking. Plus a lot of money for the tolls. Cost us about 50 quid each way to bordeaux on tolls. Petrol price not dissimilar to our now either. Roads fairly quiet but we went out of the holiday season. Watch out for the gendarmes as they tend to pick on foreign driversn we were told. We found out to our cost that they do, with a 90 euro fine for my 2 year old slipping out of his shoulder straps in his car seat. When the motorbike pulled us over he checked we had all of the above. French c***. Happy motoring, where are you off to?
  • Yep, you need a hi-viz vest for each person in the car, these are to be carried in the car and not in the boot or top box etc. You'll need a spare set of bulbs, a first aid kit, light deflectors and a warning triangle. Little known but something else you need to carry with you are all your car documents and driving licence. Tell your insurance company you are going to France and get a green card off of them. No green card and you are only insured third party.

Oh, and forget to take your road rage head.
  • Nope. Only one hi-viz necessary And try and avoid petrol pumps on the autoroute.
  • Sponsored links:

• Been to france the last couple of years, I haven't bothered with any of the things they say you need. I've probably been lucky not to be pulled over but travelling to and from disneyland I hardly saw any of their police. I even got flashed by a speed camera, still no sign of the fine.
  • edited July 2010
    But seeing peoples comments on here, I probably will invest in the car kit needed, bloody french! One thing to watch out for is the terrible drivers on the inner paris ring road, nutters!
  • You're making a meal of it. Requirements are simple :
    - ordinary driving licence
    - international insurance (green document)
    - 1 high-viz vest kept IN the car
    - 1 warning triangle
    - all passengers to wear seat belts
    Spare bulbs & 1st aid kit no longer necessary. In urban areas those coming from the right have priority and they'll make sure you know.
  • [cite]Posted By: WereByFarTheGreatest[/cite]Been to france the last couple of years, I haven't bothered with any of the things they say you need. I've probably been lucky not to be pulled over but travelling to and from disneyland I hardly saw any of their police. I even got flashed by a speed camera, still no sign of the fine.

You won't get a fine unless you're car is registered in France.
  • [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]You're making a meal of it. Requirements are simple :
    - ordinary driving licence
    - international insurance (green document)
    - 1 high-viz vest kept IN the car
    - 1 warning triangle
    - all passengers to wear seat belts
    Spare bulbs & 1st aid kit no longer necessary. In urban areas those coming from the right have priority and they'll make sure you know.

This is correct, except for the last sentence which is misleading.
  • [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]http://www.click-parts.co.uk/content/driving-in-france-checklist.php

This might help.

That website is a scam
  • Foreign registration was an advantage until recently. Europeans have agreed to have the fines delivered and normally no one is safe any more.
  • [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]Foreign registration was an advantage until recently. Europeans have agreed to have the fines delivered and normally no one is safe any more.

That's news to me. I doubt that points can not be added (UK) / taken off (France) though. Otherwise you could go to France and get points taken off intentionally!
  • apart from serious offences settled by tribunals, driving licence points are not an issue for foreign visitors
  • [cite]Posted By: jimmymelrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: adrian[/cite]Foreign registration was an advantage until recently. Europeans have agreed to have the fines delivered and normally no one is safe any more.

That's news to me. I doubt that points can not be added (UK) / taken off (France) though. Otherwise you could go to France and get points taken off intentionally!

It depends on the fine. If it's a hefty fine then it is sent to the UK authorities who will forward it on to you for payment. If it's just a couple of quid for not parking correctly then they will usually drop it.

Have some spare cash on you. If you are stopped and given an on-the-spot fine and don't have enough money to pay on the spot, they can confiscate the car at the side of the road and make you walk to the nearest cash machine. Or they will quite happily call a taxi to take you to the bank (at your cost, of course).

As far as points are concerned, they are put on a virtual 'driving licence' and when you have enough points on your licence you will not be allowed to drive in France.

They can, if they want, be a pain and if you have been driving at silly speeds, for example, take youe licence off you on the spot. If your wife has a licence she can continue driving, but you will have to sit in the passenger seat.

All in the spirit of been there, seen that and done it.
  • Sponsored links:

• One tip no one's mentioned yet - if there's a sign saying there's a speed camera coming up, IT'S COMING UP, and won't be 5 miles down the road every other Wednesday like in the UK. You can't say you've not been warned.

speed_sign2.jpg