Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Current squad

I have been really impressed with Parkinson's signings seeing we are basically in a pub league now. How he has managed to attract them here is to be commended. However, his buying skills far out way his team management skills, for me its irrelevant how many good players we have in the squad if the manager and his staff are tactically inept and non-motivational. Not getting us out of this league last season, and only two chances created against a half decent side in Huddersfield strengthen my point. Maybe he should advise on signings and leave the football side to someone else. Anyone fancy Pards back??? Me neither

Comments

• I'm with you there Upminster...........although isn't that three steps from Barking !
  • Very few performances last season were down to poor motivation IMO. Millwall away, Northwich etc not good enough that's fair enough.

Just as many examples of good motivation and tactics last season. I didn't see the squad last season as a good Championship squad though, which some have said it was in their opinion.
  • mind you apart from huddersfield away the charlton spirit has seemed to have returned which is briliant!
  • There wasn't anything wrong with the spirit last season. Over the course of a season there are always some bad results. It's not always easy taking a relegated team straight back up so we gave it a pretty decent go. This season could well be much harder given the turn over of players and much will depend on injuries to key players (Dailly, Semedo, Reid). If I had a worry at this stage, it would be about goalkeepers but other than that, we're in about as good a shape as could be realistically hoped for. Come the end of October, we'll know if we have a proper team but not yet...it's far too early.
  • 10,games is suppossed to be the seasons judgement time.
  • I don't think it was a champ. quality squad last year either. In fact, I genuinely think this year we are stronger.

Looked at other forums earlier and some think the signing of Ayinsah cements us as a mid table club. I don't think that'ss the case.
  • [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Very few performances last season were down to poor motivation IMO. Millwall away, Northwich etc not good enough that's fair enough.

Just as many examples of good motivation and tactics last season. I didn't see the squad last season as a good Championship squad though, which some have said it was in their opinion.
    Brighton Home, the two Gillingham games. Colchester away. Oldham home. Hereford away. Walsall home. Southampton and Exeter away. Bristol Rovers away. Leyton home. Just straight off the top of my head.

I've not a clue whether any of them are anything to do with motivation or not, (though I've got my suspicions), but they were all oddly flat performances (no big beatings in there) against sides that didn't have our playing resources. Obviously you can't win them all, so it's a matter of whether you reckon that constitutes a reasonable return. I'd agree that there were good performances too, but not sure that they greatly outbalance that lot.
  • We were just 3 points off of automatic promotion. I can't help but think that if we'd have had Youga for half the time he was injured we'd have had those three points. Instead we saw a succession of players trying hard to fill a gap that they rarely managed to with anything like the same levels of competence or confidence. We seem to get more than our fair share of these long term injuries at Charlton. I reckon that if there's one management problem we have it is the management of injuries rather than player motivation. I don't think it's right to lay that at Parky's door.
  • edited August 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]We were just 3 points off of automatic promotion. I can't help but think that if we'd have had Youga for half the time he was injured we'd have had those three points. Instead we saw a succession of players trying hard to fill a gap that they rarely managed to with anything like the same levels of competence or confidence.

Youga a prime example of recent times that when a charlton player wasn't playing they were considered to be a lot better than they actually were when in the team
    Admittedly he had a decent start to the season but he was no better than borrowdale who must have been in the team for over ten games
    And his and randolphs appearance in our back 5 (thanks to a 'lucky' injury to elliot, not parkys decision) would imo have been one of the main reasons we actually did get into the play offs and only just missed out on the automatics
  • Youga added a lot going forward, especially compared to Borrowdale. Youga clearly a better player than Basey.
    [cite]Posted By: Mortimerician[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Scoham[/cite]Very few performances last season were down to poor motivation IMO. Millwall away, Northwich etc not good enough that's fair enough.

Brighton Home, the two Gillingham games. Colchester away. Oldham home. Hereford away. Walsall home. Southampton and Exeter away. Bristol Rovers away. Leyton home. Just straight off the top of my head.

I've not a clue whether any of them are anything to do with motivation or not, (though I've got my suspicions), but they were all oddly flat performances (no big beatings in there) against sides that didn't have our playing resources. Obviously you can't win them all, so it's a matter of whether you reckon that constitutes a reasonable return. I'd agree that there were good performances too, but not sure that they greatly outbalance that lot.
    That's about 11 in over 50 games. We beat Walsall at home, Hereford we played reserve team. We got a few draws in there as well. We lost 8 games in the league all season and that's most of them there.

Losing only 8 games out of 46 is a pretty good record. We had 15 draws which was a few too many.

Not saying Parky is a great motivator and it was never a problem. Just think motivation is less to blame than sometimes suggested. Some of the players just weren't as talented as we hoped or thought they were. Bailey for example seem as one of the best players was making too many mistakes in games, giving the ball away too easily being the main one.

One player I would say that didn't looked motivated was Racon. Do get the feeling that's more down to the player himself.
  • Sponsored links:

• Backto this squad, we now seem to have sorted up front,in numbers at least,but my final concern is central midfield where we have some good solid performers, but lack creativity. I would like to see Racon off loaded today and a decent loan comein when the window opens
  • [cite]Posted By: oohaahmortimer[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Stig[/cite]We were just 3 points off of automatic promotion. I can't help but think that if we'd have had Youga for half the time he was injured we'd have had those three points. Instead we saw a succession of players trying hard to fill a gap that they rarely managed to with anything like the same levels of competence or confidence.

Youga a prime example of recent times that when a charlton player wasn't playing they were considered to be a lot better than they actually were when in the team
    Admittedly he had a decent start to the season but he was no better than borrowdale who must have been in the team for over ten games
    And his and randolphs appearance in our back 5 (thanks to a 'lucky' injury to elliot, not parkys decision) would imo have been one of the main reasons we actually did get into the play offs and only just missed out on the automatics

There's obviously lots of other factors to consider, but points per game with Youga in the team = 2.0, points per game without Youga = 1.71 He must have been better than his replacements.