Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gym membership: how much???

I just called Esporta to book a look round and ask about membership costs.

"As you have BUPA life insurance, we can give you a discount of £10 a month"

"Great, so how much is it"?

"Well, with that discount, it brings it down to just £86 a month".

Eighty six quid? Every month???

So, Lifers, what can you advise me as to the costs of your gym mmemberships? Where the good gyms are and which ones to avoid?

Comments

• ive got the parkwood leisure Gym membership (crook log, lamorbey n erith) and i pay £39 a month. I only go Sidcup gym as i cant stand the posers in crook log.
  • Virgin active £50 but good facilities
    Most others £40 but usually not so good facilities DO barter though!
  • edited September 2010
    David Lloyd, £68 off-peak single.

Just taken the family off because they don't use it...it was £144 per month!!! I wish I had my money.

Facilities (Sidcup) are excellent, gym, indoor / outdoor pool, tennis etc etc and all nice and clean. You can no longer use the other DL gyms though, so as a new member you'll be restricted to the one you join (unless you pay each time to use another DL club).
  • I think the Virgin Health Club (in Bickley) is £55 per month, less if you have a non-peak times membership ie not evenings or weekends.

It's a Gym not a club but there is a good sized pool, sauna and jacuzzi. I don't use the machines and classes but there seems to be loads available and lots of parking. Kids pool as well.

Mark Fish and Stuart Fleetwood both been spotted in there although the guy I thought was Lee Martin turned out to be an imposter!

Got some friends who belong to the Nuffield Club in Hayes Lane next to Bromley FC. They like it but that seems more of a club with teams and events etc.
  • Chizz if you can commit for that long , and you are keen on Esporta , they used to offer a cheaper monthly rate by commiting to 2 years , don't know if they still do , but might be worth asking , if your keen and can afford it
  • Bannatynes opposite my work in the city - is 62 quid but am on a joint membership one which is 55 per person. If you join the city one you can use any other one in the country so we use the Grove Park one on non work days.

I think if you join Grove Park directly its 55 per month.
  • edited September 2010
    I use Rowhill Grange and the single membership is £80 pm or Joint £125 but that gives you free exercise classes and personal training, a discount on the hotel, Restaurant and Spa treatments. The best thing is that it never gets that busy
  • You are all getting ripped off except henners!!!
  • About 40 for (sh)itness first. They're a bit scummy, but flexible as I'm out and about a lot so handy to be able to access different ones.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]You are all getting ripped off except henners!!!

So are we now in the Virgin Gym clique? : - )

BTW I still have a glossy photo of you
  • Sponsored links:

• is 55 being ripped off Dazzler? thats what i pay?

i used to use the charlton one which got me into ARches/Chyarlton/woolwich which was 35 but its not even comparable as my one for all the facilities i get with the swimming pool/steam/sauna etc.
  • DW gyms are very, very cheap!
  • 55 is good curb it anywhere over 60 and it's getting to be like theft! Lol
  • Henners you going tomorrow? I may well be able to pick it up!
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Henners you going tomorrow? I may well be able to pick it up!

Not in the Lib. I will leave it with someone or leave in main reception.

Whisper me you "other" name again (sorry, I forget) so I can mark up the envelope.
  • [cite]Posted By: I-SAW-POUSO-PLAY[/cite]ive got the parkwood leisure Gym membership (crook log, lamorbey n erith) and i pay £39 a month. I only go Sidcup gym as i cant stand the posers in crook log.

Ditto. It's £39 a month and you can use any of the 3 centres. I don't know anyone that has a membership for less.
  • I go to a very Basic Gym in Rodmersham it has no Sauna or Jacquzi etc but you join a gym to get fit not sit on your arse & do nothing. It has all the various weight machines & all the relevant exercise machines £30 per month. If you want all the poncy stuff then expect to pay double that to be the norm as a minimum.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite] but you join a gym to get fit not sit on your arse & do nothing.

I know I'm going to be attacked by the clique for saying this but that's exactly why I go to the gym.
  • Join my Clique and dont go to the gym
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]Join my Clique and dont go to the gym

I tried but there was no room to get passed all you fatties to sign up.
  • Sponsored links:

• WSSWSS
    edited September 2010
    Those who know me may be surprised that I don't go to a gym...

That being said, I'd never pay over £400 quid a year to run (which I can do on the street), do weights (which I could buy and do at home) or to look at girls' bums which I can do on my walk from Cannon Street.

I can also use my swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna at my house....

Fair play to those that choose to do it though - I suppose if you spend that amount you will go regardless (bit like a Charlton season ticket).
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Those who know me may be surprised that I don't go to a gym...

That being said, I'd never pay over £400 quid a year to run (which I can do on the street), do weights (which I could buy and do at home) or to look at girls' bums which I can do on my walk from Cannon Street.

Fair play to those that choose to do it though - I suppose if you spend that amount you will go regardless (bit like a Charlton season ticket).

But how much does it cost to maintain your pool, sauna and jacuzi at your house? plus the butler to hold the towel for you.
  • I go to the village hotels gym here in coventry, Im on a month by month contract of about £40 a month
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think the Virgin Health Club (in Bickley) is £55 per month, less if you have a non-peak times membership ie not evenings or weekends.

It's a Gym not a club but there is a good sized pool, sauna and jacuzzi. I don't use the machines and classes but there seems to be loads available and lots of parking. Kids pool as well.

Mark Fish and Stuart Fleetwood both been spotted in there although the guy I thought was Lee Martin turned out to be an imposter!

Got some friends who belong to the Nuffield Club in Hayes Lane next to Bromley FC. They like it but that seems more of a club with teams and events etc.

I'm a member at Nuffield at Bromley. £60 a month but worth it. If I'm watching Bromley I can go early, have a work out, bit of a swim, jacuzzi etc... then straight through the turnstiles in time for kick off! Lovely stuff
  • get a set of dumbells and a pair of running trainers - can do everything you can do in a gym. one off payment.
  • [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]get a set of dumbells and a pair of running trainers - can do everything you can do in a gym. one off payment.
    Swimming Pool? Jacuzzi? Steam Room?
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Those who know me may be surprised that I don't go to a gym...

wait till your metabolism packs up, skinny bean. Running in the streets on a cold winters night. No ta. stretching those aching muscles in the jacuzzi... sweating out the previous nights beer in the sauna etc etc lovely bit of R and R.

Just off to spin class now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ollywozere[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Bexley Dan[/cite]get a set of dumbells and a pair of running trainers - can do everything you can do in a gym. one off payment.
    Swimming Pool? Jacuzzi? Steam Room?

plus osteoarthritis in the knees making street running a no-no

Agree about the dumbells
  • i think the Parkwood (Bexley Council) ones are very good value considering you can you use all Council gyms, pools and classes inclusive.

However, i'm still not using it enough to justify the £39 a month, but keep it going to kind of make myself believe i'm making the effort to be fit and active !
  • oh yes forgot to add street running on pavements fecks your joints.