Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

How tall is Worner?

edited September 2010 in General Charlton
Many on here are saying that Worner is too small to be a Keeper ,I looked this up on the OS and it says 6ft 1in.

I must admit I thought he was a bit shorter than that.

Comments

• He looks about 5.10" but keepers can be deceptive.
  • Taller than me.
  • He looked short against their striker Bas Savage who is about 7ft 3.
  • OS also says/said (haven't checked) Rob Elliot is 6 ft 2 or 3.

People always say Shay Given is small, but he's meant to be 6 ft 1 as well.
  • I don't think Worner is too small, just inexperienced. However the saves he pulled off yesterday should really help his confidence and i do think he is improving every game. I was quite impressed with him yesterday. The defence should have done better with the 2nd equaliser. The ball lamely flew just above Doherty's head and Francis wasn't anywhere near to be able to make a challenge. Bad positioning and defending.

The confidence to come out for crosses, punch balls clear and dive at peoples feet comes with experience, he is still only young. I know a lot of keepers at low level who are good shot stoppers but coming out for crosses is not a strong point. Must be the way the game is played at that level. If he was good at every aspect of Keeping he would be playing at a higher level. But he is learning and for now i am happy enough with him in goal. He could just do with a bit more support from his defence. Having Dailly back soon will help him a lot.
  • Guys in front of me yesterday reckoned he is under 6ft but wears his hair upwards as to make people think he is 6ft.
  • Iker Cassilas is only 5.11ish and not stopped him lifting the world cup and euro cup.....although apparently he does need some help reaching his medals in the trophy cabinet he has mounted above his mantlepiece.
  • Him mum claims he is 5 foot 10 and three quater inches...... with his hair spiked.

Me and Saga were discussing his height at the warm up, thought he looked a little small for me, but played well, which confirms my principle if you are good enough,
    height, weight, age, are not neccessarily the only guidelines to use. Height important as is is for a goalkeeper, has sometimes stopped young players progressing in this position because at say 15 they are under a certain height restriction.
  • no way is he 6ft 1"

looks about 5 8" to me
  • he's actually officially 7ft 2, but unfortunately lost the lower half of his legs in a tragic gardening accident a few years back. He's done well to get this far in his chosen career especially as he has no knees and his boots are sewn onto the stumps before every match.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes funny enough I have one of those stumps holding up my mantlepiece...
    An Ipswich goalie, name escapes me, was about 5 foot 8 and was the king of penalty kicks. He seemed to save more penalties than he let in.
    Kiely looked smaller than he really was.
  • Paul Cooper
    The goalkeeper started his career at Birmingham but went on to make more than 500 appearances for Ipswich, winning the 1978 FA Cup and the UEFA Cup three years later.

Renowned penalty saver who stopped eight out of 10 penalties conceded by Town in the 1979-80 season - which remains a record.
  • Paul Cooper?
  • Echo.

Even Chrissy Powell is 5 11 and he looks like a shortarse.
  • The keeper who played for Mexico in the WC was ridiculously short for a keeper- Perez. Worner is not that short.
  • I thought the 5'7 Ipswich Keeper was Laurie Sivell.

My own view is Worner is about 5'11 / 6ft.
  • Cooper was the one who saved all the penalties.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafcdan18[/cite]The keeper who played for Mexico in the WC was ridiculously short for a keeper- Perez. Worner is not that short.

You're right Perez is only 5feet 7ins.Very uncommon for an international keeper or for any keeper for that matter.I always thought the Lazio and Uruguay goalie Muslera looked small but he is 6ft3ins.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't know how tall he is, but we all think he's small for a goalie, so he must be, because we can't all be wrong.

The first thing I said when I saw him at Shrewsbury was ................
  • [cite]Posted By: Covered End[/cite]I don't know how tall he is, but we all think he's small for a goalie, so he must be, because we can't all be wrong.

The first thing I said when I saw him at Shrewsbury was ................

.........Is that Gianluigi Bufon in his pink top?
  • who cares. For someone who has come out of non league football he has done really, really well. Kept us in the game yesterday. Kept us in the Paint Pot v Dagenham as well. Only mistake I can recall is the goal at Huddersfield but even then Dailly and Docherty with over 1,000 senior games between them hardly covered themselves in glory. There is far more wrong at the moment than worrying whether Worner is an inch or two shorter than we'd like. Worry about it when he starts costing us games.
  • i saw worner outside the ground after the notts county game and he's abit taller than me and im 5'10
  • i saw worner outside the ground after the notts county game and he's abit taller than me and im 5'10....steve 123

That don'd count mate!.... he could have been wearing cuban heels ala Gary Glitter, the guy is a short arse ! , stll Liera is a big....... so size is no guarantee of quality as the actress once told me!
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]who cares. For someone who has come out of non league football he has done really, really well. Kept us in the game yesterday. Kept us in the Paint Pot v Dagenham as well. Only mistake I can recall is the goal at Huddersfield but even then Dailly and Docherty with over 1,000 senior games between them hardly covered themselves in glory. There is far more wrong at the moment than worrying whether Worner is an inch or two shorter than we'd like. Worry about it when he starts costing us games.

exactly
  • He's taller than Iker Cassilas who won the world cup and euros.
  • Lawrie Sivell is the short Ipswich keeper people are thinking of
  • edited September 2010
    from wiki iker casillas's height

1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)

i think that's about right ..... i think i have different eyes to most fruits on here
  • So he is under 6 foot.( could we have a recount, in bare feet, with no raised hair please)

Interesting that the Academy rejected a couple of goalies a few years ago because at 15 they were only 5 foot 10. Or so they claimed?. One being the Kent goal keeper, who played at Cray Valley with my sons, the other going to Gillingham I think.

As I posted earlier if you are good enough/age/height are not the only criteria, perhaps the lad from Cray was not good enough!.