Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Brentford vs. Charlton (2/10/2010) - Preview, Polls, Teams, News

WSSWSS
edited September 2010 in General Charlton
I commented on Tuesday that a win was needed to preserve the sanity of fans and to give a welcome boost to the team. The way in which the match panned out with the referee being as repetitive with his shocking decisions as oohahh is with his away attendances comments I believe the team will have taken a great deal of satisfaction from the win.

Tuesday saw the returning Jon Fortune having the most comfortable time in the centre of defence since he got Alan Shearer sent off back in the good old days; Jackson combining on the left with the impressive Matt Fry; Racon and Semedo having an effective, if not penetrating, time in the centre of the park; and Lee Martin providing the foil for Paul Benson who gladly (for him and us) got off the mark in the dying minutes.

Going into the game against Brentford this Saturday we need to make sure the endeavour and hard work midweek does not go to waste. Make no bones about it, if we have plans for promotion we need to be going to teams who are bottom of the league, not won in four league games and not scored a goal in that period – and picking up the three points.

Parkinson’s options were boosted this week when club captain Christian Dailly started training again after a fractured eye socket but Brentford will probably be too early for him. I can see the back four and goalkeeper staying the same. Hopefully they won’t be troubled by ex-Charlton striker Charlie MacDonald.

Midfield is once again where we don’t seem to know who to play and where to play them. Even if Alan McCormack was fit it would be unlikely he would be able to displace Racon and Semedo in midfield who will line up together once again. Scott Wagstaff had a game to forget against MK Dons and still looks better as an impact sub – I expect him to lose his place with Martin slotting in to the right midfield/third striker option. A decision needs to be made on Kyel Reid, his skill and impact is obvious but there must be still worries over his fitness. I doubt very much Parky would’ve wanted to play him at all on Tuesday but the game dictated it. Maybe the decision will be left to Kyel like it was on Tuesday (he said he was fit enough to go on the bench) but don’t be surprised to see him sitting on the sidelines again.

Benson and Abbott I believe will be given another go to get a partnership going on Saturday and hopefully both of them will get on the scoresheet.

It would be lovely to go on a little winning run and I just hope it started on Tuesday.

3-1 Charlton.

Comments

• Narrow win again for me. Benson bagging his 2nd
  • i'm sure the travelling hordes who make this long distance trip in the nearly sold out away end will lift the team to the 3 points that are required
    let's face it it doesn't come much easier than this in the league ...
    the team that finished tuesday , fitness permitting, is what i'd go for and i fancy benno abbot martin or reid to notch 2 or 3 between them in a comfortable win
  • Frustrating 1-1 draw
  • 1-0 Loss for me, dont think we were all that on Tuesday against a very poor MK Dons team
  • [cite]Posted By: c/a/f/c[/cite]1-0 Loss for me, dont think we were all that on Tuesday against a very poor MK Dons team

seconded. Tuesday's win just papered over cracks that will reappear. I predict a point from these two away games and then more fan unrest until we beat Bighton at The Valley the following week and that is how our season will continue, lurching along to a 9th place finish.
  • Charlie Macdonald is out.

2-1 to us.
  • in the real world, brentford are the worst in a long line of shite pub teams that we'll play this season,the table not really lying when you see them stuck at the bottom,going down with d&r,tranmere and orient.parky should be relishing another ridiculously easy fixture that we could afford to rest a couple of players for and still cruise home with a 2-0 win.

in the bizarre world of this message board,i should be grateful if the players turn up at all and if they were to perform a miracle to grind out a draw,well then we should be kissing parkys feet at our good fortune.and if someone asks afterwards if i am happy with 16 points from 10 games, hell yeah! only 2 points from the play offs and this team still needs time to gel.

0-3 no nonsense to the addicks.
  • two one win with benson running into the charlton hordes behind the goal as so many charlton players do .....
  • 2 - 0 Benson and Abbott (pen)
  • Why do some people think we won't score when we've scored in every game so far?
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Why do some people think we won't score when we've scored in every game so far?

cos the zero goals we scored at exeter didn't count
  • oh dear FAIL
  • a 1-1 draw and more wrist sliting on here
  • Score draw for me.
  • [cite]Posted By: Dazzler21[/cite]Why do some people think we won't score when we've only failed to score in one game so far?
  • to be honest, just looking forward to a few beers with some mates and a decent day out.

Expect it to be a huff and puff game, and a replica of the draw we had over there last season.
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]to be honest, just looking forward to a few beers with some mates and a decent day out.

I thought you was coming with us?
  • I think most fans are now resigned to watching scrappy un-imaginative football this season, if not you may be in for a shock the rest of the season. Fancy a scrappy 1-0 win for the Addicks.
  • I'd like to think that we could sneak a win in this one if everybody turns up.

However quite a few players are not fully fit. How will JF cope with 2 games in a week having been out for so long? How is Reid? etc, etc.

Therefore a draw at best I think in reality.

Prove me wrong and win it!!!!!!
  • benno to score again alongside fortune,doc,semedo,racon pawell 2, martin 3

in a 11-10 defeat
  • Sponsored links:

• Think Brentford are a better team than their position suggests, they were very strong at home last year, probably gonna be 0-0. Charlie Mcdonald is injured for the game so that's no bad thing I guess.
  • i think this one will be a controlled and calm 2-0 Charlton Win. Racon and Francis to score

Worner, Francis, Doc, Fortune, Fry, Waggy, Semedo, Racon, Martin, Benson, Abbott
  • [cite]Posted By: nth london addick[/cite]benno to score again alongside fortune,doc,semedo,racon pawell 2, martin 3

in a 11-10 defeat

think u got this 1 wrong D i fancy it will be same score but semedo to get the hat trick instead of martin , seriously expecting a tough game but i fancy us to get the right result by the odd goal.
  • 1 - 0 to the Addicks for me.
  • Gone for the win, the blind faith is back after a late winner!
  • We will snatch another draw from the jaws of victory. 1-1.
  • 1-1 draw, as last season. Brentford are better than their league position and will turn the game into a scrap...which never suits us.
  • Draw all the way. Quite fancy it now. But am assuming I have missed the boat for tickets.
  • Foster to score against us?
  • I'm with the 1-0 to addicks brigade. Bensons goal on Tuesday must have helped his confidence and if Fortune can continue at the back (2 games in a week might be too much too soon) then I feel we will grind out a win.