Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Well played Parky and the Board!

edited March 2010 in General Charlton
They may have taken some stick but I get the impression with the loans we have bought in, the board have gone that extra mile with the finances.

As for Parky, it is too early to judge but Forster seems an excellent signing, Fry rated highly and will provide good competition and Warner hopefully only here to cover Randolph.

Credit where credit is due!

Comments

• As I said before. The worst thing the board could have done was give Phil Parkinson money. Before we brought in the likes of Sodje, Mooney, Jackson, and now a whole array of loan signings who I can't even keep up with we were winning games.

When Phil Parkinson had to choose the best 11 players in the squad, cause they were effectively the only 11 available to him, he appeared a tactical genius, but give him flexibility for change and look what has happened.

The guys clueless and the sooner we are rid of him (or poor again, I can live with poor and successful) the better.
  • edited October 2010
    That is harsh JollyRobin.

we do not have a single fit striker that is not a loan
    We do not have a recognised LB that is not a loan (Solly is a RB)
    One senior keeper
    Not a recognised LM that is not a loan

Loans are a part of lower league football, we need them to make up for lack of money and when injuries kick in. No one likes them but as a club we have no choice but to accept them.

Parky imho has done so good business today and deserves credit.
  • edited March 2010
    Right will all you idiotic boo boys get off parkys back now! It is doing my head in, last weekend when Mooney had to turn round and put the "i cant hear you" to the covered end was a complete cringe moment!For gods sake this is the time in the season when were supposed to be pulling together, ignoring the bad results and getting behind the team. But im sad to say quite a large contingent of our supporters do not quite get it! Parky has made some quality signings and today hes gone on and got 3 more, now will you please quite your moaning for these closing months and get behind the team AND PARKY!
  • I have consistently said that large numbers of loan signings do very little to benefit the squad, accept in dire cases. Pardew, and now Parkinson seem fixated by them, but look at the successful teams around us. Millwall 3 loan signings, Norwich 3 loan signings (1 from the beginning of the season), they aren't replacing half there team with loanees who look out of place. We can't get halfway through a season again and completely change the starting 11. We missed out on the play-offs two years ago because Pardew didn't know what his best 11 was until the last game of the season. Phil Parkinson is exactly the same.
  • [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]When Phil Parkinson had to choose the best 11 players in the squad, cause they were effectively the only 11 available to him, he appeared a tactical genius, but give him flexibility for change and look what has happened.

I have to agree with this...

...but I do think Forster could be a good signing ! Just a shame we couldn't send Mooney back as well.
  • [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]
    When Phil Parkinson had to choose the best 11 players in the squad, cause they were effectively the only 11 available to him,

When was this then? When did we effectively only have 11 players available?
  • Personally, I think Parkinson may have been a bit restricted financially, with the quality of some of his loan signings.

We haven't got the depth of squad to cope without loan players, nor the finances to pay for permanent ones(+we are outside the window), so what is Parkinson gonna do?

Well done to the board! & an excellent choice of Striker, & 2 useful back-up signings by Parkinson!

C'mon you Reds!
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]
    When Phil Parkinson had to choose the best 11 players in the squad, cause they were effectively the only 11 available to him,

We didn't literally have 11 players, but the team basically picked itself at the beginning of this season. Parky knew who his 11 best players were and they performed, now I don't think he has a clue.
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

We didn't literally have 11 players, but the team basically picked itself at the beginning of this season. Parky knew who his 11 best players were and they performed, now I don't think he has a clue.

So we had a lot more than 11, not "effectively 11" as you said.

The "team basically picked itself" What nonsense. Total, utter nonsense. Go back to the post match threads for those games and read people calling for this or that player to start, for 442, etc, etc. Their were a number of other players like Sodje, McLeod, Dickson (both of who YOU want in the team now) available plus most of the current squad.

You are just making up rubbish to back up your argument. You don't rate Parky, we get it but why resort to twisting facts to do it.
  • [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]I have consistently said that large numbers of loan signings do very little to benefit the squad, accept in dire cases. Pardew, and now Parkinson seem fixated by them, but look at the successful teams around us. Millwall 3 loan signings, Norwich 3 loan signings (1 from the beginning of the season), they aren't replacing half there team with loanees who look out of place. We can't get halfway through a season again and completely change the starting 11. We missed out on the play-offs two years ago because Pardew didn't know what his best 11 was until the last game of the season. Phil Parkinson is exactly the same.

Millwall and Norwich haven't got a number of injuries though. Our no.1 is out, first and 2nd choice left backs, we have no left winger and Burton is injured too. So that accounts for 4 loan signings. 9 of Norwich's squad have played over 25 league games, so they have a settled side and don't need the loan signings. 10 of Millwalls squad have played over 20 games.
    Look at our squad - 9 of them have played over 20 games but 2 of them (Elliott and Burton) are injured and Llera is a liability.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2010
    is anyone resigned to what will be will be regarding the rest of the season? i sort of lost a bit of love for them after millwall,its not over by a long shot,if they avoid millwall they could still get promoted,the leagues that bad. but really im not that bothered at the moment.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]

So we had a lot more than 11, not "effectively 11" as you said.

The "team basically picked itself" What nonsense. Total, utter nonsense. Go back to the post match threads for those games and read people calling for this or that player to start, for 442, etc, etc. Their were a number of other players like Sodje, McLeod, Dickson (both of who YOU want in the team now) available plus most of the current squad.

You are just making up rubbish to back up your argument. You don't rate Parky, we get it but why resort to twisting facts to do it.

Ok, don't take everything I say so literally. When I stood there and we all shouted 4-4-2 it was embarrassing, Parky was resilient and we won that game. The real point, that you have ignored, is Parky knew what his best 11 was, now he doesn't.

You're talking rubbish. If Elliott was fit we wouldn't have signed Warner, if Youga and Basey were fit we wouldn't have signed Borrowdale. If Burton hadn't got injured we probably wouldn't have signed Forster although thats debatable as i think he's better than Mooney and Akpo anyway, but still.
    So 3 of the first choice XI are injured and have been replaced by loans, what can Parky do about that?
    Also we have no left winger so he signed Reid, what's wrong with that signing?
  • Yer but JollyRobin what you dont realise is that we have had injuries to players at key times,Millwall, Leeds and Norwich have been able to keep the same team because they havent had any major setbacks! Parky has never had a chance to keep the same team!ie Youga, Basey, Elliott out when Ikeme came in, Richardson being injured and now all our strikers seem to be plagued one by one!You gotta understand the other side to it as well!
  • There are loan signings that complement a squad, such as possibly Forster & Reid, such as my argument about the players Norwich & Millwall have signed. My bet though is that players such as Warner & Fry will come straight into the side having been with the team for a week and Parky will completely overlook the alternatives.
  • Our alternative in goal is Randolph fair enough i accept your point there that Parky shouldnt overlook him but maybe the management team fail to see anything in Rands. Otherwise he would have started over Elliott by now!With Fry, i think you just got to understand that Dailly will need a rest at some point, Sodje is out of favour and Llera is prone to the odd extremely dodgy game and yes maybe Fry will come in but I for one will be glad to see it, as long as he stays there, which if he impresses on saturday im sure he will!
  • Excellent original post Dan. Spot on.
  • Fry is also here to cover LB if Borrowdale is recalled. This indicates as we all guessed, Youga won't be back for a long time!

I hope Randolph starts as do not rate Warner but we need someone to sit on the bench and be available in emergencies. Warner is unattached so does not count towards the loan limit. Even though imho he is pony, Warner could be a potential back up keeper next year when Randolphs contract ends and he leaves.

Ok, don't take everything I say so literally.

Er, so you can say something to back up an arguement but when challenged on it you didn't actually mean to say it.

Very strange.

I think I'll leave it there
  • Blimey, I feel like I'm having my 5 minutes with Paxman. I didn't mean only 11 players were available to us at the time, I didn't think you'd take that so literally. What I meant was it was obvious to everyone who our best 11 players were at the time, and so they effectively selected themselves. The only player I remember wanting in the side, at the time (and this was after the Wycombe game, so I'm talking a long time ago) was Grant Basey. In hindsight I was wrong, Youga was much improved after that game.
  • Sponsored links:

• [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]Blimey, I feel like I'm having my 5 minutes with Paxman. I didn't mean only 11 players were available to us at the time, I didn't think you'd take that so literally. What I meant was it was obvious to everyone who our best 11 players were at the time, and so they effectively selected themselves. The only player I remember wanting in the side, at the time (and this was after the Wycombe game, so I'm talking a long time ago) was Grant Basey. In hindsight I was wrong, Youga was much improved after that game.

So what you're saying is that Parkinson got a tactical decision right, even though he had the choice available to him between two players
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]My bet though is that players such as Warner & Fry will come straight into the side having been with the team for a week and Parky will completely overlook the alternatives.
  • [cite]Posted By: cafc_se7[/cite]Right will all you idiotic boo boys get off parkys back now!
    Hear, hear!