Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boxing v MMA

By MMA I'm classing K1, square kickboxing, muay thai bouts, UK MMA and UFC v Marquess of Queensburys noble art of fistic boxing

For me the skill level required to compete at the top end of boxing makes boxing my winner, but for the excitement of MMA and the correct attitude of not ever ducking a fight it is getting very close between the two.

Until MMA puts it's foot down regarding drug use in the sport it can't be taken as seriously as boxing. But if Manny and Floyd were both in the UFC they would not be able to avoid each other.

Charltonlife discuss

Oh an by the way, one of my mates if fighting a french bloke (MMA) at Amadeus December 5th if anyone would like tickets let me know

Comments

• i think you summed it up superbly mate however the drug stuff is getting better and there are more controls now in the UFC and uk mma

the fact that you can not duck fights the fact that dana white only gives them a limited contract i put ufc ahead of boxing but as a whole boxing still ahead the whole mma scene.

the fighting bin man vs the jap guy the other weekend put boxing back on the map, yet ordinary vs haye is doing its best to take it off again, that fight just wouldnt happen in mma the champs dont fight bums
  • Boxing easily.

UFC is for the clueless x-box generation.

I went to see UFC at the O2. Had ringside seats and was really bored.

Anyone that pays to watch Audrey needs their head testing, biggest bluffer since Johnny Nelson.
  • like both,but ufc becomes a bit a of a joke when you can get a crack at a world "TITLE" after two fights,i think no mma fighter could cross over to boxing the best fighter to come out of mma anderson silva started in boxing and got brutally koed by a novice and andre arloski was touted as becoming a boxer but has not been heard since,of course you get james toney embarss himself when going in mma but then ray mercer a washed up boxer can ko tim sylvia one of mma greats. good sport mma no money in it compared to boxing,the amount of cash just to see haye and audley tells you that
  • I have never watched any of that MAA/UFC etc, just no appeal for me. Rightly or wrongly I just see it as WWE with added gore, something for people who like Stephen Segal type films, which I don't. So boxing it is.
  • The whole fight ducking thing only applies to pro boxing and it's only relatively recent. I think what doesn't help is the number of belts available and the fact that so many of the public are so clueless about the sport. Years ago the way that Calzaghe or Eubanks conducted themselves wouldn't be tolerated because the public would be aware that they were fighting bums. Now you get the likes of Hay getting fat pay per view deals to knock about punchbags. I fully understand why he'd do that, but it really shouldn't be commercially viable. I think a lot of the blame for the way boxing has gone is down to the public.
  • MMA over boxing all day long. Far more skill in MMA, they fight a lot more often and there's a lot less politics. Boxing is pretty shit to be honest.

Nolly, you will need to have more than 2 MMA fights to fight in the UFC.
  • [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]MMA over boxing all day long. Far more skill in MMA, they fight a lot more often and there's a lot less politics. Boxing is pretty shit to be honest.

'Far more skill'? Bollocks. Pacquiao is more skilful then ten UFC muppets. Agree with Algarve - Steven Seagal fans are the target audience for UFC/MMA
  • Unless you have participated in both forms then you cannot give an answer re skill. If you had a MMA versus Boxing bout with MMA rules the MMA fighter would win, the reverse would be true if fought Queensbury.

However, MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) is as far removed from true Martial Arts as can be. Just because an art involves kicking and punching does not make it a true Martial Art.

Leroy, I would argue true martial arts require more skill + co-ordination than boxing.

However I love all the fighting arts so to say my preference MMA or Boxing is very diificult, I've seen some good/bad MMA fights and Boxing bouts.

RE The Seagal comments, he is the only true western Martial Artist to move into the movies world (Van Damme is/was a fraud), also he was the first foreigner to open an Akido dojo in Japan. His films are pelt though!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]MMA over boxing all day long. Far more skill in MMA, they fight a lot more often and there's a lot less politics. Boxing is pretty shit to be honest.

'Far more skill'? Bollocks. Pacquiao is more skilful then ten UFC muppets. Agree with Algarve - Steven Seagal fans are the target audience for UFC/MMA

Ha Ha .... never seen a Steven Seagal film in my life.

Matchmaking is the main difference between the two sports. Boxing will look to protect it's prized asset which leads to dull one sided fights and padded records. Where as MMA will look to match up fighters with the same skill level which usually leads to exciting fights.

I enjoy watching both but I would say over the past year or so I have started to enjoy MMA more than Boxing.
  • My Bro has his first MMA fight in Jan
  • Sponsored links:

• Leftbehind,where is your bro fighting in jan?
  • One of my pals is a cage fighter. Fights with that Cage Rage stuff. Hes doing tv and promotional stuff too. He runs a show on wednesdays at 10pm on Sky Sports 4
  • MMA you have to master more than one fighting style boxing not so much. I love them equally but MMA is catching up boxing and will surpass it soon.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Friend Or Defoe[/cite]MMA over boxing all day long. Far more skill in MMA, they fight a lot more often and there's a lot less politics. Boxing is pretty shit to be honest.

Nolly, you will need to have more than 2 MMA fights to fight in the UFC.[/quote]
    'Far more skill'? Bollocks. Pacquiao is more skilful then ten UFC muppets. Agree with Algarve - Steven Seagal fans are the target audience for UFC/MMA[/quote]Boxers only punch, mix martial artists punch, kick and wrestle. Using your logic a 100m sprinter is more skilful than a decathlete. That being said there is nothing wrong with a Steven Seagal film!
  • anyone seen old ray mercer a dire boxer knock out mma ex legend tim sylvia? never would you see mma fighter do that in the boxing ring the other way,i have to confess im geting hooked on mma a bit myself,what i find dire is everybody having mma fights over here the level is appaling compared to us,regarding stephen seagal that is one deadly dude no doubt even at his age now
  • That's the thing, it's realy got a huge appeal here and is runing before it can walk.

The fighters are getting there but there is a lot of chancers trying their luck and that is diluting the quality of MMA
  • true carter,everybody seems at it,if you go to a boxing club you learn the basics and then start,tbh i think before that lesner cracker of a fight last week ufc was becoming a little dull,i think they need to stand them up when there just grappling,if there going for arm bars or ground and pound ok but sometimes it can become a bore and i go for something to eat come back and there in same postion lol,also no real rankings,bisping deserves a shot but no the american darling,also what that done to pride was bollocks as well
  • [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]bisping deserves a shot

ridiculous. The guy lost to Silva, and Henderson in two of his last five fights, and his last victory was over Akiyama who had lost his fight before that to Leben (who Bisping had previously beaten). Bisping needs at least one top level fight before a title shot, or to avenge Evans and Silva.

As for which is better, I enjoy both, but would say as a sport I prefer boxing but as entertainment, MMA. In MMA it's expected to have a loss at some point so careers continue after them, in boxing it can be kill a career stone dead, so fighters avoid risky fights. Until that attitude changes the status quo will continue.
  • the things is allez theres been no shift in the tide,boxing is healthier than ever crowds wise,its got bigger than ever and the am game is starting to grow again,rember the old days when to win a schools title you had to box 12 times hopefully it will grow again like it did in the 70s sometimes people boxing three times in a day,night. think bisping beat evans personally but i have seen worse fighters get shots,saying that he has no punch power has he?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]if there going for arm bars or ground and pound ok but sometimes it can become a bore and i go for something to eat come back and there in same postion lol,
    This is why MMA will never be as popular as boxing. Boxing & football are popular because they're very simple games, mma combines a lot of different martial arts together so even for a tv viewer it takes a bit of time to understand what's going on. Basically when they're lying about doing nothing one guy is going for a submission and the other guy (or girl?!) is blocking and wearing them out, when the guy realises he's getting no where he'll try and escape or get in to a better position, it's all very tactical and not very exciting unless you know what's going on, a bit like the start of a snooker match.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: nolly[/cite]anyone seen old ray mercer a dire boxer knock out mma ex legend tim sylvia? never would you see mma fighter do that in the boxing ring the other way,i have to confess im geting hooked on mma a bit myself,what i find dire is everybody having mma fights over here the level is appaling compared to us,regarding stephen seagal that is one deadly dude no doubt even at his age now

Nolly, I dont think Sylvia would be classed as a legend of MMA, he was UFC Heavyweight Champ but he wasn't a very good one his size and awkwardness were his biggest assets. Mercer always had a punchers chance but he was an Olympic Gold Medalist and World Champion pretty reasonable level.
    Did you see Mercer's K1 fight against Remy Bonjasky

Ray Mercer vs Remy Bonjasky Fight starts around 3:50.
  • yeah mercer was a good fighter but his last five years as boxer then mma the state he was in physically etc to me its a proper shame and name to lose to him.
  • Boxing all the way.

Have tried with MMA numerous times but always end up bored shitless.
  • MMA all day long and I've never seen a Seagal film in my life!

Far more skill, dedication and training involved to become a mixed martial artist. If you put Mayweather or Pacquaio in the ring against their MMA equivalent, they'd get ruined, it's a whole diff ball game. Saying that, the biggest area in which MMA needs to evolve is the striking side of things.

Plus, you don't get all the shiiiiiiit in the UFC like in boxing, ie Haye v Klitschko. Whoever it is, just grow some bollocks and fight.
  • You contradict yourself there, if MMA needs to improve striking then no way in the world would a mixed martial arts fighter beat a boxer. Especially not Floyd of Manny.
  • Any of you proper boxing fans know a guy called Mickey Cantwell? He's running the boxercise sessions my football team are taking, for a guy that's 5'2" he can't half pack a punch!
  • Course they would Carter, they may have to improve their striking but it won't stop them being knocked out with a kick or being taken down then beaten.

Hence Randy Couture recently destroying James Toney.
  • I know he was in trouble a few years ago for kicking his boss in the arse
  • ha ha red i sparred him when i was a yute cantwell was a lovely fighter great to watch,was always down charlton watching us in the prem.
  • james toney is finished came in in terrible shape,fact is no mma fighter could go in ring and do anything they have tried and failed everytime the other way its been proved it can go either way.