Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Edgar Davids leaves Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace have confirmed that former Ajax, AC Milan and Juventus midfielder Edgar Davids has left Selhurst Park.

The 37-year-old arrived at Palace on a pay-as-you-play deal in August having been without a club since leaving Ajax in 2008.

He told his own website: "Today I have decided that my journey as a player of Crystal Palace FC has come to an end."

The former Netherlands international made only seven starts for the Eagles.

Davids, who won a European Cup winners medal with Ajax, added: "I want to thank all the people who supported me and gave me one of the greatest experiences of my life."

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]Davids, who won a European Cup winners medal with Ajax, added: "I want to thank all the people who supported me and gave me one of the greatest experiences of my life."
    Lol.
  • [cite]Posted By: guinnessaddick[/cite]

Davids, who won a European Cup winners medal with Ajax, added: "I want to thank all the people who supported me and gave me one of the greatest experiences of my life."

Blimey, a Dutchman who gets ironic humour ;-)
  • It's a shame when class players do this to themselves. What on earth has he achieved with this little stint at Palace, it's not like he's been given silly money for it either.
  • Signing for us in player/coach deal, mainly as a coach but will be available for games if needed as cover for Semedo and Racon.

You heard it hear first
  • I must admit to feeling a little jealous when he joined them , a bit like I was excited when we signed John Barnes.

Palace supporting mates did not even feel that he had his moments . At least Barnes rolled back the years once at Upton Park when we beat the Hammers even if he looked dead on his legs at the end of the game.

I suspect this is it for Edgar now .
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Signing for us in player/coach deal, mainly as a coach but will be available for games if needed as cover for Semedo and Racon.

You heard it hear first

Did he say he wanted to move further north to be with his family?
  • edited November 2010
    What time will the writ be served?
  • Two words Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink

Anyway Dan Roan told me Dravids is freeing himself up for a takeover bid.
  • [cite]Posted By: Richard J[/cite]I must admit to feeling a little jealous when he joined them , a bit like I was excited when we signed John Barnes.

Palace supporting mates did not even feel that he had his moments . At least Barnes rolled back the years once at Upton Park when we beat the Hammers even if he looked dead on his legs at the end of the game.

I suspect this is it for Edgar now .

I remember seeing Barnes in a home game and thinking he was real quality.

I also remember how great I felt when we signed JFH (surely 3 words?), despite Mrs Lout saying the guy we should've got from 'Boro was Viduka, as he was the one that ran us ragged in the ill-fated "operation riverside" match/debacle. He never had a good game for us, but at least they started selling XXL shorts in the club superstore!
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite][quote][cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Signing for us in player/coach deal, mainly as a coach but will be available for games if needed as cover for Semedo and Racon.

You heard it hear first[/quote]

Did he say he wanted to move further north to be with his family?[/quote]

definitely nearer to Amsterdam than Palace are!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2010
    Palarse...Shit club.
    Hence him leaving so soon.
  • edited November 2010
    Are we seriously NOT signing Edgar Davids?
  • Taxi for Edgar!
  • Saint Davids! He leaves the granny beating smug tossers in a far greater position than when he arrived. Good work Edgar, not sure exactly how you did it but thank you. xxxx
  • Agent Davids is off to Brighton next I heard on the QT..
  • edited November 2010
    More clarification from sources.

Davids very much a coach rather than a player although he will be registered as a player "just in case".

Edgar keen to stay in London as undergoing treatment at Moorfields Eye Hospital and his rented home in Wilmington makes for easy travel back to Holland via Euro Tunnel or Euro Star.

Lots of talk about using his contacts in AJax and Milan but personally I'll believe it when I see it.
  • JFH did have a good game for us...Chesterfield away in the league cup!
  • I thought Henry was being ironic earlier.

In a similar way to John Barnes in the era of seven subs , Davids on the Bench could be useful.I'm sure our younger players would respond to having such an iconic player around. I wouldn't want him playing whole games though

I agree with Saga that Barnes did look quality for us , but only for 20 minutes at a time .The day at Upton Park I really felt Barnes rolled back the years and controlled the midfield for us.
  • As one who has been asking for a long time that we add some tactical ability to our coaching, I am interested in the thought. Surely though we have no way of affording him unless he is prepared to sacrifice money to get a foothold. Shades of Gus Poyet maybe, or just wishful thinking ?
  • There are some very gullible people on this site!
  • Sponsored links:

• WHOOOOOOOOOOOOSH !!!!!!
  • [cite]Posted By: ISawLeaburnScore[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Signing for us in player/coach deal, mainly as a coach but will be available for games if needed as cover for Semedo and Racon.

You heard it hear first

Did he say he wanted to move further north to be with his family?

Superb!! I couldn't stop laughing at that one!