Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London Taxi Trade to the rescue for our Vets

edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
http://theandersonshelter.blogspot.com/2010/11/tfl-beyond-paleby-thomas-taxi.html

Comments

• Magnificent effort by the cabbies well done!
  • Being someone who's a year in to the long hard journey that is learning the London Knowledge, I can say for sure that these guys are the benchmark for what I aspire to be like when I'm out there with that Green & Gold badge around my neck. So much good work and many helpful efforts like this that cabbies do go unnoticed. Nice one Ledge.
  • I've done the knowledge mate so know how hard it is - good luck and keep at it.

and remember the saying

people don't fail the knowledge the just give up.

winter sorts the men from the boys.
  • Not knocking those who have done it - I know how much time and effort is needed to complete the knowledge, but surely it is an outdated test to become one of the elite with modern sat navs?

Or am I opening a can of worms here? :-)
  • I saw a cabbie sat at the lights outside Charing Cross on Saturday - he was reading his A-Z!
  • [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I saw a cabbie sat at the lights outside Charing Cross on Saturday - he was reading his A-Z!

I've seen graduates working down manholes on their mobiles asking how to do a gas test
  • I've seen people with computer science degrees ask how to join a PC to a domain
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: F-Blocker[/cite]I saw a cabbie sat at the lights outside Charing Cross on Saturday - he was reading his A-Z!

to be fair he might have been asked to go to a back street in harlesden - besides wats that got to do with us doing a good deed
    [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Not knocking those who have done it - I know how much time and effort is needed to complete the knowledge, but surely it is an outdated test to become one of the elite with modern sat navs?

Or am I opening a can of worms here? :-)

don't go there
  • Cheers Ledge. Been on it a year now so started at the toughest time of year. I can do cold and wet no probs! Hardest thing I've ever done but I'll be one of that 30% that make it to the end!

Sat Navs will never be a substitute for the human mind. Approximately 15,000+ roads and the same number of points of interest all memorised by the time I get that elusive badge. It's never an out-dated test either, fella. Sat Navs and the software can't keep up with the road changes. Some of the runs I've done have changed 6+ times in the last year cos of road changes.

They'll NEVER replace a black cabbies knowledge.
  • iam one of the cabbies we also take very sick children to the seaside [hastings, southend, margate , herne bay , euro disney ] thoughout the year
  • Sponsored links:

• Was one of the said cabbies offering my services on sunday,the main pick up points were waterloo station and the ex service men union jack club,a great turn out of like minded cabbies starting around 9am and free shuttle runs over to westminster,then after waiting on westminster bridge to observe the silence and return the vets back again,most rewarding few hours ive ever done and been in the job 12 years to give something back and show my respect to these fine men.
  • Clive, Paul, hats off to you both. I'll be there one day doing the same.

Good luck fellas...
  • P_air, all the very best in your quest for that green badge,its a long haul to get there thats a given,the rewards and benefits of the job will make it worth while for yourself and anyone else who may be considering giving up 3 years to achieve that goal.
  • paul/clive are u members of UCG then??
  • Take it it wasn't late at night and any of the Vets wanted to go South of the river? :-)
  • Ledge,no to that,not a member,ltda via comcab last 12 years and know have to get of both!!!!
  • ledge no i am in the stda and have been since doing the knoledge 18 years now
  • [cite]Posted By: DRAddick[/cite]Take it it wasn't late at night and any of the Vets wanted to go South of the river? :-)

lol not me go anywhere

[cite]Posted By: paulthecab[/cite]Ledge,no to that,not a member,ltda via comcab last 12 years and know have to get of both!!!!

http://ucg-london.co.uk/ have a look mate there a good bunch.

dunno if u guys are aware of some of the online stuff to do with the trade

http://theandersonshelter.blogspot.com/
  • Ledge,i have the odd look at london taxi forum now and again,il give it a look!
  • edited January 2011
    Was only joking!
  • Sponsored links:

• yes use to love it when i lived in sunny deptford trying to get a black cab to take me home nooooooo naffing chance---so i use to say Blackheath and when they was driving through deptford ask em to stop---worked a charm.