Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VHS to DVD

edited November 2010 in Not Sports Related
Bit of a Razil moment but does anyone know how/where I can get a couple of old VHS tapes coverted to DVD ?

Cheers

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I used to do this but have sold the equip since due to lack of demand.

You can purchase software for your PC called Pinnacle Studio (latest version is 11 i think) you can get it from PC World or download online. You can then buy a piece of hardware that hooks up to your PC and runs in conjunction with Pinnacle Studio. The hardware accepts VCR connections and you then stream the media from the VCR into Pinnacle Studio. Once its on there you then create your movie with the captured video footage and can either burn to DVD or a file that you can watch on your PC.

link to product
  • If you've got a DVD recorder and a VHS player and a scart cable then just DIY. If not lots of companies offer the service, but not sure of the price. If it's outrageous I'll do them...
  • I've got the equipment, so I can do it for you. I've copied a couple of old Charlton one's and I have to say that one of them in particular is quite poor quality, but that's down to the quality of the original tape.
  • edited November 2010
    The Pinnacle Studio option is more expensive prob maybe upto £200 but you may find the hardware cheaper on ebay.

The benefit of going down the PC route is that you can edit your original footage and create interactive menus/titles for your DVD. You wont be able to improve the sound or picture quality too much but you will have the option to improve certain aspects of it.

If you have lots of footage from several different videos to be able to edit it all down and present it on one DVD is a huge plus point ! Depends how creative you want to be !

You can also add music, but beware once you get involved in all of this as i did about 6 years ago it becomes an addictive and a time consuming hobby - prepare to upset your wife :)
  • [cite]Posted By: Choice[/cite]The Pinnacle Studio option is more expensive prob maybe upto £200 but you may find the hardware cheaper on ebay.

The benefit of going down the PC route is that you can edit your original footage and create interactive menus/titles for your DVD. You wont be able to improve the sound or picture quality too much but you will have the option to improve certain aspects of it.

If you have lots of footage from several different videos to be able to edit it all down and present it on one DVD is a huge plus point ! Depends how creative you want to be !

You can also add music, but beware once you get involved in all of this as i did about 6 years ago it becomes an addictive and a time consuming hobby - prepare to upset your wife :)

I think he just wanted to modernise his lonely housewives collection.
  • Is this for your collection of -ahem- personal videotapes from the old days...
  • [cite]Posted By: JT[/cite]
    I think he just wanted to modernise his lonely housewives collection.

I can definitely help in that case!
  • Thanks for all your assistance in this matter chaps , especially clivey_hero .

Saga lout or Mortimerician if you could help out that would be great , how shall we do it ?
  • Unfortunately I'm working away this week and off on hols the week after for a couple of weeks. As long as there's nothing urgent I can either pick up with you at a game after that, or in town if you happen to work around the city?
  • Sponsored links:

• No prob mate , Saga has kindly offered to help me out with this and clivey_hero is picking me up saturday morning . The beauty that is Charlton Life
  • Am I ? what time
  • oi - the cheek of it...

;@)
  • did anyone fine a good value solution to this, I might have some thing that needs converting if I can persuade it's owner to let me borrow it - Mandela 70th birthday concert
  • I have a mate who does this. If you whisper me, I'll give you details.
  • Saga Lout is your man Raz
  • You could buy yourself EZ Grabber or something similar - for around £16.99 on Amazon. USB connector for your PC. If your VCR has RCA connectors you can connect straight in - otherwise, also get SCART/RCA Adaptor.

It comes with software, or you can use with existing if you have anything like Roxio etc...

Converting to DVD is really boring and takes time. Also remember that to get best quality you will limit the playing time to around 1hr on the DVD - so a 3 or 4 hour video tape will need potentially 3/4 DVDs. You can reduce this, but will lose some quality.
  • edited February 2011
    Thanks for the plug Shag - yes I can do this and you can drop off and collect from me in Bexley if you are local. Whisper me for my very reasonable rates.

Regarding it being boring - you've got a point there is no way of speeding it up, as you have to copy in real time.

Regarding quality and how much you can get onto a DVD, you have to remember that it can only be as good as the original tape. I will normally put 1.5 hours onto each DVD.
  • Last but not least.... Toshiba do a digibox with hard-drive, dvd burner and vhs recorder all in one box. You can record to any of the media and dub from one to another (dubbing from hard drive to dvd at the same quality is the only bit that goes quickly - the rest is real time).

http://snipurl.com/20wrpn
  • aye but pay 199 and its not even HD