Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NFL and NBA, Your team, Your views and predictions

edited October 2009 in Other Football and Sports
Just wondered how many people on here watch the NFL and NBA. I have never liked Baseball so i thought i would start a thread about the better two of the American sports and see what peoples views are so if you are interested.

In NFL its always been the Green Bay Packers for me after my Uncle took me to a game in the snow in 2002 and in the NBA it has always been Detroit Pistons as they are the only team i could get tickets for when i was over there and had a great time watching both sports live.

Comments

• Philadelphia Eagles & the 76'ers.
    edited October 2009
    [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]Philadelphia Eagles & the 76'ers.

I see your a Philli man then any reason or have you just liked them from day one?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

I see your a Philli man then any reason or have you just liked them from day one?

Mates from my old uni were from Philly. Spent many a thanksgiving in the city, great place.
  • [cite]Posted By: ValleyGary[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]

Mates from my old uni were from Philly. Spent many a thanksgiving in the city, great place.

I agree Philli is good i was there for a while when i was out in the States living in NYC.
  • I'm a Dolphins man, and can reliably predict that we will have a very poor season.
  • [cite]Posted By: Simon E[/cite]I'm a Dolphins man, and can reliably predict that we will have a very poor season.

Cool Green Bay always seem to do well at the start then disapoint when it really matters mmmmm reminds me of another team i support. Detroit have never been a great team Chauncy Billups was good a few years ago.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Detroit have never been a great team.

If you're talking about the Lions, then true, they have been poor for most of the last 50 years.
    The Pistons of the late 1980s, with Isiah and McFilthy & McNasty, were excellent and won consecutive NBA titles.

NY Giants & Boston Celtics are my gridiron & hoop teams.
  • NBA I'm celtics, gotta support the irish contingent, even if I'm not myself! Saw them at the o2 a few years ago which was pretty cool. They'll make playoffs, personally think the magic will win the playoffs this year.

NFL, I'm a buccaneers fan. Saw them play a few years back, just a shame they're owned by the glazers and are awful this year!
  • I love a bit of nfl. I was there last Sunday when new england patriots played tampa bay buccaneers at wembley! My team would have to be Dallas Cowboys!
  • Sponsored links:

• What was our opinion on the premier league's 39th game idea then?

As american sports fans who are used to this kind of thing benefiting us, whilst also being football fans who can appreciate the traditions of our game, is it shameless cashing in or a good way for our sport to expand our horizons?
  • Broncos - since I was a kid. Used to play American Football (Kent Rams - national junior champions!) as a Safety (won't mean shit to the uninitiated on here, but it's basically a defensive position) and one of my heroes growing up was Steve Atwater - who played safety for the Broncos. In later years, they had John lynch - arguably the best safety ever to mplay the game.

NBA - I can take or leave basketball in general. Whilst I can appreciate it and, in the right mood, will watch a game when it's on, something about it just leaves me cold. If I root for a team it's the Suns - used to love watching them in the late eighties/early nineties when I was more into it, and they still have a great team now with Steve Nash leading them
  • [cite]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Detroit have never been a great team.

If you're talking about the Lions, then true, they have been poor for most of the last 50 years.
    The Pistons of the late 1980s, with Isiah and McFilthy & McNasty, were excellent and won consecutive NBA titles.

Um - McFilthy & McNasty played for Washington, not Detroit. The Pistons were a whole TEAM of McFilthys & McNastys - with Bill Laimbeer especially being the biggest prick in Chrsitendom. McFilthy (Rick Mahorn) did play for the Pistons, but it wasn't with them that he earned the nickname - it was definitely with the Bullets
  • NBA - Lakers

When I was younger Dad had to go on a business trip to LA, and I had the novelty of going along with him. One of the perks was that he got two tickets to a Lakers vs Bulls game at the Staples Centre (as well as this the guy who was taking us bought me an O'Neill jersey, which certified me as a Lakers fan). My prediction, gotta say we'll win the Play-Offs again!
  • [cite]Posted By: Leroy Ambrose[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: American_Addick[/cite]
    [cite aria-level=0 aria-posinset=0 aria-setsize=0]Posted By: Ru1986[/cite]Detroit have never been a great team.

Um - McFilthy & McNasty played for Washington, not Detroit. The Pistons were a whole TEAM of McFilthys & McNastys - with Bill Laimbeer especially being the biggest prick in Chrsitendom. McFilthy (Rick Mahorn) did play for the Pistons, but it wasn't with them that he earned the nickname - it was definitely with the Bullets

The late, great Celtics announcer, Johnny Most, had names for Mahorn, Laimbeer and Rodman when they played together for the Pistons. Washington's Jeff Ruland was McNasty, but do you remember what he called Laimbeer and Rodman with McFilthy? Besides "thugs" and "criminals" and ... :-D
  • Pistons have never been great since i have been following them but yea they were good before i got into NBA. What about playoff final predictions any thoughts of who will prosper this year? After last year i gotta go Magic in there again.

Would have loved to have got a tickets to the NFL at wemberley this year any ealy predictions of who you think might be in the Superbowl this year???
  • I am not by far a fan of NFL or our Canadian equivalent CFL.

However!!!

Friggin' fair play to the players & fans attending the CFL Semi-Final game today in Calgary between Calgary & Saskatchewan.

The game is a 40,000 sell out.

The temperature will reach a maximum of -18 today, wind chill is -24......and it's snowing.

I cannot believe they are playing and even worse sitting there watching in this. It's hard to bear even a few minutes at these temperatures!!

Watching the likes of Tevez & co poncing around in snoods, leg warmers and gloves this afternoon, makes me laugh.
  • Pats and Timberwolves personally
  • NFL , always been the Broncos even before they started reaching superbowls. Went to see them at wembley the other week with Rothko who is also a fan.

Never had a baseball team but I watch out for the Phillies as my brother in law lives out there and for the same reason I follow the Union in the MLS.

Despite being a big basketball fan I've never followed a side apart from the london leapords when they played at the docklands arena
  • I thought NFL and NBA were two new CL members
  • Sponsored links:

• NY Jets for me - relatively new fan (my second season) and just picked a team with a young/rookie quarterback in a city i'm likely to visit so there's a reasonable chance of me catching a game sometime soon. Fortunately the team have grown and are probably in the half a dozen real 'contenders' this season along with the Falcons, Patriots, Eagles, Saints and Steelers so I might have some early success!

Not into NBA at all anymore, was really into it as a kid and was mad on Jordan and the Bulls obviously!
  • Dont watch either and couldnt name a single team. Oh hang on - The Harlem Globe trotters. Do they count?
  • Not into NBA at all. Don't get it even after seeing the Knicks play at the Garden.

Atlanta Falcons are my NFL team tho. I lived in the States for a few years in the 80s and my city didn't have a team. The nearest team was the Washington Redskins, who I hated due to a Redskins fan at work who was a real knob-cheese. Atlanta were in red, were a less glamorous team and seemed like real tryers who often narrowly failed. So naturally they reminded me of Charlton. They also had the only Brit in the NFL, kicker Mick Luckhurst.
  • edited November 2010
    i know its probably difficult to come by but if you ever get a chance to watch college football or basketball then you really should. im not a huge fan of basketball but March Madness is awesome.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: JollyRobin[/cite]NBA - Lakers

When I was younger Dad had to go on a business trip to LA, and I had the novelty of going along with him. One of the perks was that he got two tickets to a Lakers vs Bulls game at the Staples Centre (as well as this the guy who was taking us bought me an O'Neill jersey, which certified me as a Lakers fan). My prediction, gotta say we'll win the Play-Offs again!

Nice prediction.
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: buckshee[/cite]NFL , always been the Broncos even before they started reaching superbowls. Went to see them at wembley the other week with Rothko who is also a fan.

Never had a baseball team but I watch out for the Phillies as my brother in law lives out there and for the same reason I follow the Union in the MLS.

Despite being a big basketball fan I've never followed a side apart from the london leapords when they played at the docklands arena
    Really? Damn - I'm a massive Broncos fan - have been since I played back as a kid. Two of my all-time sporting heroes are Steve Atwater and John Lynch - so you can probably guess what position I played :o)

Thought that call for a chop-block on that flea-flicker at Wembley was bullshit - though in the end, the Broncos were pants anyway and didn't deserve to win, that call made a massive difference because if the TD had stood, we would have rolled all over them. It was great to see them live though - I haven't bothered with the other three games because, although I love the game, I've never really seen the point of going to see teams you couldn't give a shit about.

Looking forward to watching the game tonight - I love MNF and will be a f***ing zombie at work tomorrow. ESPN have just finished the build-up by showing highlights of the Fouts/Anderson shootout back in the early eighties - that finished 50-38, I'd take that tonight :)
  • Bulls & Bears simple as.

But Gary's right you haven't seen a basketball game unless you have seen March Madness. The passion and rivalry is like nothing else in the USA and shows up the NBA as the soul-less, money orientated game it is.

For college then Butler for basketball and Winconsin for football.
  • NFL - LA OAKLAND RAIDERS - first superbowl I watched in early 80's. Chose which team to cheer for, and stuck with them GLORY BOY !!!!

nba - Utah jazz - just wanted an unfashionable city.
  • Detroit Lions obviously, Timberwolves & Lakers.
  • [cite]Posted By: ChicagoAddick[/cite]Bulls & Bears simple as.

But Gary's right you haven't seen a basketball game unless you have seen March Madness. The passion and rivalry is like nothing else in the USA and shows up the NBA as the soul-less, money orientated game it is.

For college then Butler for basketball and Winconsin for football.

Villanova for b'ball and Penn State for football