Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Doobie Brothers/Steely Dan and Reggae in current music - muso question for the young or very hip

Two questions really.

Firstly I heard on the radio that there is a "scene" of young London bands who are heavily influenced by the likes of the Doobie Brothers, AWB and Steely Dan. If true who are they and what sort of impact are they having?

Secondly Henry Jnr has been listening to "billionaire" by Travie McCoy ft Bruno Mars. To my ears it sounds like reggae and then realised that Bruno Mars also wrote Forget/f*** you for Ce lo green. Is it Bruno who's the reggae fan or are there a lot of acts using that off-beat ska rhythm?

Comments

• Everyone's gone to the movies Henry.
  • I think you mean everyones gone to moon?%~{>
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Everyone's gone to the movies Henry.

That took me a while to work out, Peanuts
  • Olly Murs last two singles have a reggae influence.

All of a sudden over the last few months whilst DJ'ing, I'm being asked to play more reggae, especially UB40. I'm all for a reggae comeback!
  • [cite]Posted By: Essex_Al[/cite]Olly Murs last two singles have a reggae influence.

All of a sudden over the last few months whilst DJ'ing, I'm being asked to play more reggae, especially UB40. I'm all for a reggae comeback!

UB40 ? Reggae comeback?
  • edited November 2010
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Two questions really.

Firstly I heard on the radio that there is a "scene" of young London bands who are heavily influenced by the likes of the Doobie Brothers, AWB and Steely Dan. If true who are they and what sort of impact are they having?

Don't believe the hype
  • I like all kinds of music, even some rap. When I see live music I normally like it to be a bit raw, unpredictable and exciting. But I can lay claim to being one of the relatively few people to have seen Steely Dan live - they don't get out much. If any one of them played a bum note the whole evening, I'd be amazed - they were technically brilliant. If that is what some current young bands aspire to I am all for it.
  • [cite]Posted By: PeanutsMolloy[/cite]Everyone's gone to the movies Henry.

They're taking to to the streets...
  • edited November 2010
    I'm with Saga on this one...have loads of footage of SD, and yes they are the immaculate band...youngsters aspiring to this level of musicianship will get my vote anyday...

ps. Haitian divorce...reggae or not?
  • ...as long as it's got a good beat, that's all that matters