Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A message from Steve Gritt - London Marathon

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=SteveGritt&faId=66080&isTeam=false

"For those of you that have known me for a while, you may or may not be aware that I have been fundraising, on and off, for some time now and in particular for my chosen charity for this event, the Brain & Spine Foundation.

My interest in this charity goes back to October 1992 when my daughter Hayley was diagnosed with a brain tumour. At the same time the British Brain & Spine Foundation (now Brain & Spine Foundation) was being set up and it seemed natural at the time to raise funds for this charity and to help with raising awareness for these types of neurological illnesses.

Over the next 5 or 6 years and with the help of Peter Varney (former director of the British Brain & Spine Foundation and former CEO of Charlton Athletic FC), as well as a number of brilliant people, we managed to raise around £140k to help with the research into brain and spine conditions through a number of planned events including football matches, race days, cricket matches and golf days.

One event that I always wanted to do to raise money was the London Marathon. I am delighted to say that at the grand old age of 53, I have now been allocated a place in the 2011 Virgin London Marathon in April by the Brain & Spine Foundation and will be running in memory of my daughter Hayley, who sadly passed away in December 2002 after enduring her illness for over 10 years.

This is also turning into a family affair as my 24 year old son James has also been allocated a place by the Charity, although I have told him I will not be racing him as I would not want to show him up on the day by beating him!!!! However, it should make it more interesting on the day.

As this is likely to be my final fundraising effort in Hayley’s memory, I would like to go out with a bang and raise as much money as I can and I would be extremely grateful if you were able to sponsor me for this marathon effort. Also, if you felt that anyone you know might be interested in sponsoring me as well, I would be grateful if you would forward this link on to them.

Many thanks for your support."

Comments

• Donated. Hope he raises more than he hopes for and we're celebrating his successful run at our championship winning match!
  • Good on him.

I'd be up for a cricket match. Reminds me of the old open days down at Sparrows Lane when they'd have a game.
  • [cite]Posted By: LeaburnForEngland[/cite]Donated. Hope he raises more than he hopes for and we're celebrating his successful run at our championship winning match!

Ditto.
  • [cite]Posted By: Sco[/cite]Good on him.

I'd be up for a cricket match. Reminds me of the old open days down at Sparrows Lane when they'd have a game.

Maybe an idea to talk to KentCCC: Beckenham Ground, CAFC XI v Kent XI next Summer ?
  • Hayley used to sit near me and Steve Gritt still does. I'd love to see him back working at the club. Surely now Matthew has been promoted to 1st team coach there is a place for him?

I'll certainly be donating.

Can we not make this thread a sticky?
  • Saw Steve at the game yesterday. He was in the social club watching Spurs v W Ham unrecognised among all the Daggers\Hammers fans.

Had a brief chat and said he was there for work. He didn't say for whom.
  • A man who gave everything for charlton if only to have one of him now on that field.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Saw Steve at the game yesterday. He was in the social club watching Spurs v W Ham unrecognised among all the Daggers\Hammers fans.

Had a brief chat and said he was there for work. He didn't say for whom.

I think he is working part time for Southampton
  • Will have given them a scary report on how good we are then.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited April 2011
    Bump

Gift aid donations made before Tuesday 5th April will raise more than those made afterwards if you are thinking about donating this way.

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?pageUrl=2&userUrl=SteveGritt&d-49489-p=1